When shopping . . . are you tempted to fill your shopping cart?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jun 3, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shopping analysts claim that shopping are being made larger so that shoppers can buy more. Apparently that's because most shoppers sub-consciously think that they have to fill their shopping carts. If it's a ruse to get people to spend more money, then it certainly does work.

I always carry a shopping list and buy only the things that are on the list. If it doesn't fill the shopping cart, heck, that's what I went to buy.

Just wondering, do any of you go shopping and just feel that you need to get that shopping cart filled?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I certainly never felt that way when I go to the grocery store, I just buy what I need. And besides, I don't have my own car, so carrying a lot of stuff is a big no-no in my book. I think the only people who would probably feel the need to fill their shopping cart are the bored people who need to shop when they're bored, and they have the money to fill their carts with stuff that they don't necessarily need.

3. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. When shopping for groceries I tend to list down the items I need and calculate how much the supplies I would buy would last. My shopping is very calculated so I don't overspend or purchase items that would become stale on my pantry. And besides, its hard to carry around bags and bags of grocery not unless you have a car of course but as for me, I don't fill my cart with items since I'm on a budget anyways.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I go grocery shopping, I usually bring my own little folding shopping cart, so the size of the carts in the store is irrelevant to me. When shopping, I'm focused on what we need and can afford, not filling the cart to capacity.

5. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    Some people buy on impulse, I suppose. I don't. I keep a list, both on paper and in my head, of what I need and just get that. I don't normally get more than that.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Hmm, that's interesting considering I've noticed grocery carts getting SMALLER. As in, a lot of shops now offer those little half-carts even instead of the extra large ones. I assumed part of that was because the aisles are getting closer together and becoming harder to navigate with the super large carts.

two-tier_grocery_shopping_cart_1.

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I am never felt like filling my basket (I rarely use carts), and in the UK they carts and baskets are getting SMALLER, you would think they would make them bigger because the amount of people angrily dragging two carts around my local supermarket is something to be seen!

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely take a shopping cart when I grocery shop, and it I do I'll always take the smaller ones. I never ever take the big ones. I will usually take either a small basket or I'll just grab everything on my arms. As I live on my own I rarely need a big shopping trip for grocery, so taking what I can carry usually works out.

9. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I'm Canadian, but usually when I drop down to the states I have a hard time finding a grocery basket.

2ur3w8z.

We have this virtually everywhere up here, but places like Walmart in the USA don't seem to or at least, not the few that I've gone to which were in admittedly small towns. Same goes for similar types of stores.
    So there definitely could be some sort of psychological impact it can play on the consumer. I know there was a study awhile back where people were given bowls of soup to eat and it was simultaneously filled (discreetly) from the bottom of the table. They found that people overall ate larger portions of soup as they tried to bring the level of soup down to a suitable level within the bowl.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:

I love this smaller shopping carts. I just hate pushing around the larger cart. Even though I love the smaller carts, I never fill me cart up. I only have to shop for one. I rather make multiple trips to the store since I can easily walk to the store. This also prevents me from wasting food.

11. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to :D I know sometimes it can be tempting especially if you know you have enough extra money and that you see a lot of other things that you might want to get when you get to the supermarket.

I usually pick a small basket depends on how many on my list to buy, but most of the time I do pick another one or two items that were not written on my list.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, not at all. In fact I really hate to fill up and when I am using it I want it to have only very few items. I don't want to look flashy so there has to be just few items in it. And because I think more about the money, somehow I have in my mind that I must just save more money or that I don't have enough money and might get short if ever I give in to any temptation of excessive spending or spending for leisure stuff.

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I never fill the need to buy a bunch of stuff I don't actually need. When I go to the store it's to get a specific amount of items and to use a specific amount of money. I generally use the hand held basket or the double tiered carts that are not as large. They are cute and easier to maneuver around the store.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the supermarket where I usually shop, there are various different sizes of shopping trolleys that you can choose from. You have a selection of a medium or large trolley and a handheld basket. I always use the medium trolley as I don't like to strain my back, carrying my groceries around in a basket. I can't remember the last time that I completely filled up a trolley, as I never buy too much ahead, but prefer to shop for fresh things every few days.

15. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    This makes sense i must say basically the thing is when we get to plan the things which are fine enough in a way and you finally knows how you can finely go ahead so that works.
    Having awareness about these things is surely a helpful thing.