Do you read more fiction of non-fiction books

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Thejamal • Jun 4, 2014.

1. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    As the title says, what sort of books do you find yourself reading? For me, I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi fiction books and fantasy genre. Every since starting with Harry Potter when I was little, I'd say these have always been my favorite sort of books to read.

So do you like reading fiction or non-fiction books more and why?

2. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I have read my fair share of non-fiction books. Scientific books to be more precise. I had to read much for my University tasks and final thesis. Glad that's over now because some of those books made me really sleepy, lol.

Nowadays I mostly stick to reading scientific publications (I'm not working in my field, but still find it interesting) and fiction books in my spare time. Currently I'm reading The Maze Runner, it's a bit childish, but I love the mystery.

3. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    It really depends on my mood more than anything. If I want to actually learn something I'll go read myself a non fiction book or some sort. But if I just want to be entertained I do love a sci fi or fantasy novel once in awhile.

I will say reading wikipedia articles and such has taken a bite out of my non fiction reading in recent years.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fiction for sure. I rarely ever read non-fiction unless it's an autobiography or self help, but even those are very rare for me to read. I prefer fiction because I enjoy reading stories from subjects I enjoy, and I also love that with fiction we can create whatever we want with the characters we want. I love being transported into a fictional life in a book and seeing where it takes me.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Way back in time when I was an avid reader, I used to read a lot of fiction. But what made me lose interest was when I read books written in the 2000s. The books were not that great and I realized that the golden age of fiction was long gone. From then on I started reading either non-fiction or any old books I could lay my hands on.

Since finding old books in stores is rather difficult, these days, I read only the free non-fiction ebooks I can find on the net.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to read a lot of fiction books when I was a lot younger (espionage, suspense thriller, etc.). But now I mostly read non-fiction books - motivational, self-help, DIY, natural healing and other books related to said topics. :)

7. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I'm a prolific reader of Sci Fi and Fantasy as well, ever since around the age of 11 (Started with the Discworld, Xanth and Dragonlance novels).

Not quite finding the time to read as much as before but some of the books I enjoy reading are by Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Peter V. Brett in the fantasy range and Stephen Baxter, Peter F Hamilton and Alastair Reynolds for science fiction range. Those familiar with these authors may find the prose similar to each other.

My favorite author is David Gemmell, sadly he passed away at 2006. I've read all his books; some multiple times.

8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer reading fiction books during my spare time, mainly because I would always find them a lot more entertaining compared to non-fiction. In fact, I would even use non-fiction materials for my research, so whenever I would read it, I would always associate it with work or school, so it does not really give me a relaxing feeling. I try to focus on lighter fiction, especially when I am just looking for pure entertainment.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am the same. Fiction tells an interesting story. We get enough reality in our daily life so if a book doesn't provide that escape then it's not worth it. It's rare for me to read an autobiography because there are a select few people that I'd be interested in knowing their side/life. Self help books are almost never efficient so I feel like reading them is a waste of time.

10. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I like books that have a bit of irony in the end. The new books have too much language and sex in them for my taste so I tend to lead for the classics. Its funny to me how movies have to have ratings but books don't. There is young adult and then their is adult but there is nothing in between like a book that both parents and children could read and enjoy. I wish someone would begin to write a brand of books that would read more like a Disney Film. You know how everyone loves Disney so the parents don't go crazy watching it over and over with their children? Well, that's what I would like to see in a book; something that is well written with funny idiomatic expression and references without being explicit in nature. There are not too many books out there like that.

11. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, I agree, the Harry Potter Books are definitely my kind of books! I love fictional books, non-fictional books are just such a bore. The books that got me into fiction were the "Series of Unfortunate Events" series. They were pretty good. :) I like the idea of fantasy and the authors creating their own world, it can let our imaginations run wild. :D

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid and teen, I used to like to read fiction books a lot, but now that I'm already an adult, I tend to read non-fiction books more and also self-help books. I tend to read also the books that specifically talk about a certain subject of interest. I don't think I will bother reading a novel again unless I have watched the movie version of it and I liked it.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I read more of fiction books. I don't like reading nonfiction books. Reading them feels like I am being spoon-fed. They are just so direct that leaves no interpretation for the reader unlike fiction books. They are always open for thousands of interpretation. They are not didactic. They stimulate the reader to think and imagine unlike nonfiction whose main goal is to provide information.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I used to mainly read fiction novels that would carry me away to far away places. I always loved stories about travelling, either physically or mentally. But one day I suddenly got bored with all those wonderfully crafted stories. I felt like I needed something else, something more "down to earth". So I started reading DIY books, biographies and all kinds of manuals describing how things work. These days I prefer to read books that further my general education.

15. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on my mood, I love reading and it can be any type of book whether it is a story, information, or tips. I tend to read shorter books nowadays because I don't have the time just as much as I used to have when I was younger.

16. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I definitely read more fiction than anything else. I love Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. I'll also admit that I got pulled into the Fifty Shades of Grey Series. I will basically try to read anything I can get my hands on but if it doesn't catch my attention, I don't waste time trying to finish it. As far as non-fiction goes, I like autobiographies of celebrities and cookbooks.

17. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    Man, that's so hard to say. I love to read any book that I feel like I can learn from, or that will help me grow. Now, there are plenty of fiction books out there that do this. So much classic literature has moral and philosophical subtext that just makes it so fascinating to read, and even read again. But I also love a good spiritual text, or even self help type books. That's just a really hard decision to make. But I guess if I had to choose one and only one, I'd go with non-fiction. There are just too many of them that I couldn't live without, like The Tao Te Ching.

18. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even read fiction anymore. Not that I don't like it, but I really can't, or don't want to spare the time right now.
    I've been trying to find the time to read "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho for ages now though.
    Other than that one, I don't really want to read about fairies, or some amazing story that never even happened.
    I'd rather read some biographies, some technical books, and other content where I really come out in the end a bigger, better Human being.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to read manuals on health and life insurance and legal documents all the time for work. To change the pace I will read a fiction book, mystery stories are the type of books I like. I call it a brain dump, to clear my brain when I have to much tech stuff to ingest. I love to read so for me it is my way to get away.

20. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Fiction all the way. I've read too fiction books and it's just my favorite genre ever. It's easy to fall to the fiction category mainly because it's fun to read and reading fiction takes us to a whole different world. It gives us the illusion of escaping the bad reality that is life. I think that's why most of us love to read because we want to escape from our present world. Of course, I've also read some non.fiction books but i do prefer reading fiction.