Drying clothes

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Jun 4, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my kids were born I bought a drying machine, but it's very rare for me to use it. Does anyone has a dryer and give it consistent use? On the other hand there are places where you can dry the clothes there after washing, do you use these or do you just hang the clothes by the sun?

2. Ruffled

RuffledNew Member

Threads:
    All of my clothes I hang out on the line to dry. It's summer, there is a lot of sun where I live and it's been pretty windy for the past few days. The towels however go into the dryer. With dryer sheets they come out softer than if they hang out to dry. The winter gets pretty cold and wet out here so the dryer gets used a lot then.

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I use the dryer for underwear and other basics, everything else I line dry. I think it is gentler on the clothes so they last longer and better for the environment. I live in an apartment now so it takes awhile because I don't have an actual clothes line but I set up a drying rack in my walk in closet and it does the trick. Ever since I started doing this I noticed my clothes holding their shape and color better.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    The sun is always sunny outside so I just hang all my laundry outside after washing them. It seems like it's just wasting money if I buy a drying machine here to be honest.

But for my baby's laundry, I keep them hanged indoor until they are dry because sometimes it can be dusty outside and I don't want her clothes to get all the dust too.

5. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    We hang our clothes out to dry. After they are dry, I put them in the dryer for just a few minutes, with a fabric softener sheet, to soften them. they've raised the electric rates in our area, so I may stop doing that!

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, so you use the dryer to soften the clothes? I did that only when my kids were babies, not that they are older they have tougher skins and they can have harder clothes lol. I also hang out inside when it's raining with those portable metal hangers, not ideal, but they do the trick.

7. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I use both. One of the places we live has a rainy season. This is the time we use our dryer the most. But if the weather is nice, I prefer to be 'green' and put it out on the line. My dryer is the kind that does not use a vent but rather sucks moisture out and then you empty the water. I like this method, however, at times it takes a long time for the machine to get all the moisture out. When it is a really sunny day my clothes can dry faster on the line. I am still working out ways to make the clothes soft though. At times I partially dry on the line and then throw it in the dyer to soften them up.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, my drier is pretty much like that too, it has a filter and a deposit for water and we need to regularly clean them and empty the water that is removed from the clothes. It's been a while since I last used it because luckily we manage to dry outside or inside, even though sometimes when it's dried inside it smells a but funny.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a small flat so no place for a dryer. But even if I had more space I still think I'd just use the line in my balcony for drying. Not only do I save some energy but I feel that the clothes smell better when dried near a window with lots of fresh air around. Granted, in the winter when drying clothes is harder I can see why a drying machine could be useful :)

10. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    How do you not use your dryer? I mean, I'm a student so you know, I can get away with hanging my stuff up for ages, but I would have thought that in a home with kids you would need to get it all dried as fast as possible, no?

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I use dryer because of the unpredictability of the weather. Sometimes it is very sunny, then a little later it would rain unexpectedly with the clothes hung outside getting wet. To have them dry fast, I use a dryer though I still hang them under the sun. But it only takes just a little time to have them dried.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like the drier for several reasons, I bought it because of my wife, but she doesn't use it either. I don't like it because it consumes electricity, it's noisy and it leaves a funny smell in the house that causes me allergies. Also, I put the clothes in the line outside and I'm happy with it, actually, most of the times is my wife that does it. :)

13. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I use mine all the time. I don't like too, but I really have no other choice. I live in an apartment three stories high, we're not allowed to hang things from our balcony. Not to mention my patio is NOT big at all. Plus, where I live is extremely humid and hot. I am afraid my clothes would probably mildew rather than dry. Also, with a couple of the posters, the weather here is so unpredictable. One minute we have sunshine the other it is pouring down rain. When I lived in the Ozarks I use to hang my clothes up on a wire. I actually do miss that.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why aren't you allowed to hang things from the balcony Verity? What country are you in?

I think it's something really expensive to use, I mean, we need to have it working for one hour or more to dry the clothes and we can't put a whole machine of washed clothes because it's too much, so I just prefer to hang it outside or inside if it's raining, we have ways to hang it inside as well.