Save money by seeing a student dentist?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Jun 7, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There should be limits to frugality. But I hear that there are some people who would put their health on the line by using free or cheap services of unqualified dentists [who are still in school].

Granted, this could save you some money but would you take such a risk on a novice just to save a few bucks?

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely NO. That would be too scary for me. It's like a double threat to me as I'm really afraid of dentists (got from a childhood trauma) so I wouldn't dare see a less qualified one like a student dentist. Maybe I will only see a student dentist in a do or die situation, like if there's no other certified dentist around and I need to have a tooth extracted or I will die. :D

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I know plenty of people who do this and have had great experiences with it. At least the dental schools they have gone to for this service have a "real" dentist monitoring the students. The only complaint I have ever heard is that the whole appointment can take awhile because it's a lesson for the student, but in terms of the quality of the work I have never heard any complaints.

4. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I know people who have done this and were happy about it too. They were trying to recommend it to me, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Now I'm still waiting to see the dentist. So yes, I'm torn now. If I would have seen the dental school dentist, it would have been done and over with by now. But if there would have been some type of a problem, I would have been screwed. I also know people who've had problems with accredited dentists.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends.

I wouldn't have any real issues with going to one when I just need a cleaning. I might even be fine with having a small cavity filled.

I wouldn't go to one for a root canal or anything serious, though.

6. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    If there is a qualified doctor supervising them doing their job then I definitely don't mind especially if it is not a big case but if not then no way I'm going to save my money that way.

I wouldn't mind as well if it is just a dental regular check.

7. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Well I'd say no. The few bucks you saved getting cheap medical care can end up coming back to you with as thousands when something goes wrong. I'm a very cheap person in general, I don't really like expensive or fancy things but when it comes to health and medical things, I don't mind throwing in a few extra bucks to get some good medical care for myself. But if the student is good enough and probably well off to becoming a legit dentist then I guess it's okay to have your gums and teeth checked, but an actual operation, I say no.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really do think this to be a good idea, not just with the teeth, but for everything else it's available like student barber and make-up student. Since they wouldn't be let to use an actual person without having gained enough skill and learned enough techniques, it's pretty safe and satisfying. They already do pretty well like the professionals. Another good thing is that because they are being observed, they are sure to do their best ensuring maximum quality of the service the could provide.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Here in the UK there is a big headache when it comes to registering yourself with a dentist, especially if you are an NHS patient as it takes the dentist months to get money back from the NHS for the treatment they did on you. That is why I visit the local dental hospital a couple of times a year for a check-up and work that needs doing. They are watched by experienced dental teachers and I've only had one bad experience when I had to have a tooth removed and they didn't give me enough of the anesthetic and didn't wait for it to kick in.

10. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Oh hell no. And as you brits would say oh bloody hell no.

No on chiroprator, dentist.

Yes on hair cutting, yes on some things, but my body, never ever.

I can understand that situation tho, and I'm not able to say if I would or would not in that medical insurance kind of situation.

#10Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  11. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    The school I went to was known for its dental hygiene program. Granted, dental hygiene is different than what a dentist does, but if you're just going to get your teeth cleaned, I see no problem in going to a student to do this. They usually have someone qualified watching over them, and they do a good job from what I hear, probably because they are so eager to get it right. I don't think this is unsafe.

12. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I don't call this a "cheap" service or "putting your health in line" just because one uses this type of service. I don't have dental insurance because I don't qualify for it through my work. I qualify and pay for all other insurance just not dental. I personally use ANY and ALL dental free clinics. They do everything a degree'd dentist does just without a degree. They offer wonderful service and are of not any lesser quality then going to a dentist office.

I will continue to keep going to these clinics until one day I hopefully qualify for dental insurance.

13. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    No, I wouldn't take that risk. I know dentistry is very expensive in the US, but still I wouldn't go to a student dentist. I don't like the idea of an inexperienced student to make decisions for my oral health. It's unfortunate how you can lose all your savings for a cavity.

14. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    No! No! No! When it comes to my health, I refuse to be cheap with it. I may go to my neighborhood clinic for basic needs but if it is something major, rest assure I am going to seek care at a hospital. It's already risky enough to get dental treatment with the possibility of something going wrong with an experience doctor. Why take the same chance with a student who is still in dental school? Sometimes you have to face the fact that in certain situations frugality must take a backseat.

15. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    There are dental colleges everywhere who offer free services such as prophylaxis and sometimes even tooth extraction for free. I have not tried going to any of these colleges, but I am sure these dental students are supervised by their professors every step of the way. These schools offer free services so they can find a case they can possibly work with.

My brother had an extremely difficult problem with an impacted molar which required surgery involving the sawing of the jaw bone. His private dentist gave up on it and recommended him to see a certain professor working in a dental college. The operation, which took about 6 hours was done in the college. There was no professional fee charged, he only had to buy the medicines and other materials needed. The dentist was assisted by a group of dental students during the whole procedure.

For me, I would only trust a student dentist to attend to my dental needs if it is within a college setting supervised by a reputable professor.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When a student at a school has met a certain number of hours in training, watching the instructor or other students and book lessons they are allowed to go on the "floor" which means they can take a live person. The instructor is right there to make sure all is well. This is how the student gets hands on experience so that they are experienced when they finish their classes and can become a dentist. All the training can not be done looking at videos and reading a book, at some time that student most touch as person, that is why the service is offered at such a great price. As the student gets better they will spend more and more time "on the floor".

Yes I use student services, my daughter is an instructor at one of these schools.

17. thestoryteller1

thestoryteller1New Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't, because I'm generally afraid of dentists...but I had time when I barely had money even for food. It wasn't about saving few bucks, I just didn't have those few bucks. I ended up having to just not go to the dentist until things got better. I definitely got my teeth worse for it. Thankfully, at least, I didn't have any emergency like broken tooth or anything. So glad that that time is over!

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think getting a pasta or cleaning is cheap enough already, (at least over here) and you don't even have to do it often, so I guess I won't even bother to look for a student dentist. You'll never know, things may go wrong and you end up with a bunch of unexpected inconveniences.