Credit Card points

Discussion in Credit Cards started by Gelsemium • Jun 9, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am in Portugal and here we don't have a huge credit card culture, I mean, some people have a credit card (I do), but we don't make our regular expenses from it. Even so I've heard a lot in credit card points, even my credit card gives some point, but I use it rarely so I really never got anything from them. Do you get points when you use your credit card? What do you do with them?

2. mercantile519

mercantile519Member

Threads:
    My credit card isn't the greatest for points, but I've had the card for about 2 years, and have gotten about $100 in Starbucks cards. I know there are cards with more points available, but that isn't the reason I have this card.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    $100 is pretty good, I wish my credit card could give me something like that, it would be an incentive for me to use it more. To be honest I don't even know how that would work, but if you ask me I am not seeing my bank too interested in letting me know, most likely they don't enjoy that I am paying 100% of my debt. ;)

4. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I fly to India from the US twice a year. i fly by Emirates. after 2 years of this I was given access to their VIP lounge in the airport and even treated to a first class ticket for free one time . All the while i have racked up frequent flyer points on my credit card that I can use to travel almost at no cost domestically in the United States !

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I use my credit card points.

Basically, I get one point for every dollar I spend. I frequently cash out these points for cash back. It doesn't add up to much, but it's about a 1% kickback, so it's certainly better than nothing.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    If my bank told me that I would use my credit card more often for sure. For example, I spend 1000 or $2000 per month, this would mean 2000 points at the end of the month and I could trade them for goods or even cash back. My bank doesn't have interest in this, I assume they prefer to make money in some other ways.

7. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    I get a decent rewards program with my bank. At the momen. I get 1 point for every. 2 dollars spent. I can redeem my points for payments to my visa or cash them out for Aeroplan miles on Ait Canada. I am interested in applying for the RBC Westjet MasterCard once my onlline soure f income yields enough merritt for getting one.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is exactly what I was talking about Canadianlover, if I had that sort of incentives I would use my credit card more that is for sure. On the other hand I don't know if my bank would be interested that I did it because I am paying it at 100%, so what money would they make with me if I pay no interests?