High Water Bill

Discussion in Water started by Mayvin • Jun 10, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Curious to know what your highest water bill has ever been? I've heard of some really outrageous water bills like in the hundreds and I can't imagine someone using that much water. Yet there could be a leak in The House some where. Have you ever had a water bill really high or unusually low?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have actually been wondering about this for months because we use a lot of water everyday but our landlord is not including water usage in our bills :D Otherwise we would have to pay a lot more than the total of the bills we have to pay every month.

Back in the village, my family never had to pay a water bill too because they are using water from gravity that runs forever.

3. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    That's great that you don't have to pay water with your bill. We use alot of water as well and luckily the bill hasn't been more than about $40 dollars. A friend of mine had a leak in their place that they didn't get fixed right away and ended up paying for it the following month with a water bill that was a few hundred dollars. Crazy!

4. hnatalieann

hnatalieannNew Member

Threads:
    $150 a month. I don't know why water bills are so high. It's crazy and why the city thinks they own the water is ridiculous to me. They're always preaching there's a drought .. really? It's just an excuse to raise the bill.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think our water bill has never amounted to more than $25. Maybe because we are only 3 in the house so the water consumption is less as compared to other larger families, which is a good thing. We also don't have any leaks whatsoever so that helps to keep the bill down.

6. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    If you notice a high fluctuation in your water bill, you should check to see if there is a leak or broken pipe somewhere. Then look at what could of happened to cause such a spike in the meter readings. I would also recommend that you start recording the meter readings. There could be a misreading.

7. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I've had some pretty low to mid-high water bills, these, ranging from USD $30 to USD$70. The only reason I paid USD $70 for my water bill for because of an added charge on my bill called "sewage charge". I live near to a sewage treatment system and so, If I use $10, I pay $20, unfair, I know, I'm already paying enough taxes so that my community benefits so why is the sewage charge there when I'm providing for that in another way, smh, water companies!

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is great advice. A lot of times people don't even know they have a leak. Also, to record readings. I learned that the hard way. Our meter reader would "estimate" instead of actually reading the meter, he'd just guess based on how much we had used during the same month the previous year. I went in to have things checked out and found that they caught him doing this, and he had been doing it for some time. I did get credited for the overcharges eventually.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I lived with my ex, the water bills were high because the outside faucet that connected to the garden hose had a leak ,so there was constantly water dripping out.
    I don't know if my ex ever got that fixed. The water bills there were like $300. Water is included in my current apartment but I still conserve it out of consideration for the landlord who pays the water bills for the building.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think my water bills are too expensive, they usually hover around $30, and I think the highest I've ever paid was $50.
    We do try to make a conscious effort to reduce the water usage, not only does it save money, but it also helps the environment.

11. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    Our water bill for the past two months has been 100 dollars. It is crazy! We finally found the problem though. Our toilet kept running at night time and it was filling up to 5 gallons. That is like taking a 20 minute shower. My son was getting really dirty every day too so we were giving him a bath every night. We have cut back a lot on using water now. We are hoping that this next bill will be much better.

12. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Never had a huge problem with an outrageously high water bill. I'm a pretty conservative person so I don't waste a lot. Whether it's food water or money. I typically only use what I really need. I'm single so I don't have a high water bill usually. If I had a family I'm sure it would be different.

13. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    There was actually a time when we got a water bill that was almost $300, you read that right. This was after having one that was the average cost of 120 a month. We knew something wasn't right, when I called the water company regarding this thye asked me if we had a leak or something along those line. I told the girl on the other end of the phone that there is no way our water bill would more then double in one month. We didn't get an Olympic size pool, we didn't open a hotel or hospital somewhere on our lot so this had to be a mistake. Turns out it was a mistake and our meter had been read wrong, but this is something I will never forget.

14. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    High water bill is also our problem especially during laundry days. :) .. As I suggest, during the laundry days, As we all know, we washed our clothes for 3 times and most of us are doing that with a faucet open, so, for a record, collect water in a large basin then turn the faucet off for a mean time then collect again if you need some again, it just simple but you can discover the best result to it if you do it. :) The same way if we are taking a bath, discipline is a MUST! :)

15. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    Here in the UK water costs can vary wildly according to which part of Britain you live in. When i lived in Devon in the south west of England water prices were three times as high as those in Wales where i live now. This is due to having to pay for the coastline to be kept clean in Devon, there are wonderful beaches there and i have to admit the water is crystal clear but should it be down to the homeowner to pay for that?

The beaches are used by a huge number of tourists from outside the region each year and a lot of residents feel strongly that it is unfair that they must foot the bill for it.

16. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Wow.... really??

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    My water bill is the lowest utility I wish all my utilities came up to that amount. Water is a very important basic need for us even though it is natural I think the price should be greater because of its great importance. I am making to reference here in Jamaica.

18. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    I live in an area where the water, electricity, trash, & sewer bills are all combined into one bill each month. We pay around $150 for all of these utilities and it always stays about the same with a small spike when we run our central air. Based on neighboring towns, our bill is quite high. Our town is currently looking into different companies and options for lowering our bills.

19. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    It only happened to me once, $300 bucks! That is because we had a slow leak behind the toilette that we didn't know about until the water bill came. I had to go to the city office asking for three install payments!

20. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Well, my bill never goes beyond the $15 amount, but where I live, this is huge water consummation compared to basic needs, and most people don't exceed even the $10 amount!
    But, wow, I see these huge amounts you guys keep mentioning, which mean an average salary in my country! I wouldn't want to live there, haha.