Working from home

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by JaydonTyler • Jun 10, 2014.

1. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Anyone here running their own home business or thinking about doing it?

I am currently in the process of creating a sports website. I can't get into the details of it before it's complete. but my mom is working from home selling baked goods and ice cream. Her hottest product is banana bread as she makes a variety of products with it. Even banana bread ice cream. People love it.

It's easy to run a business from home. The best place to start is wix.com

Thats the easiest way to create a website that has a professional look to it which is always great when running a business form home.

#1Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Banana bread is one of my husband's favoruites and we both love corn and yam ice cream. They taste really good but I'm not sure if you can get them from there.

Working from home is definitely the best choice for me because my daughter is still young and I get to look after her the whole day. I would probably be worried at work everyday if she is handled by someone else because it is not easy to trust baby-sitters. Her safety and health are very important to me.

Though I'm only earning from home by writing at the moment but it is good enough for me. It's always better than nothing, right? I do hope that my website will be profitable for me someday.

Other than wix.com, you can try simple-site.com too.

3. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    I would love to work from home. I am trying to become one of those people that helps other online through chat support on websites. I want to help people but the thought of being a telephone support person scares me. At least with the chat thing I don't have to hear their voices as they berate me for their bad day and things over which I have no control. Really, some people could stand to be a little more reasonable towards people who have nothing to do with their irritation and stress and not take things out on them when they're trying their best to help.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I want to do that too. I'm very computer savvy and I'm a pretty good typer. I am much more comfortable with communicating in written form. The thought of being a telephone support person scares me too. I am not a phone talker at all. I try to avoid it when I can. I have talked to friends on the phone but they call me and I usually just go "yes uh huh" and wait for them to hang up. I have had my moments but they are rare and it's only when I'm really opinionated about something and I know the person well. Even then I still don't like it and when that happens, I get mad at myself after we hang up.
    Sadly the only chat support with no phone requirements that I've found (which was on that work from home board that was linked here) wanted 50 dollars for a background check.

5. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    I couldn't work from home, I need time away from the kids. But there are things I do in down time at work to make a few bucks that could potentially help out people who want to work from home.
    Things like

or

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I work at home as an jury researcher, I go to different courthouses get verdict information on cases that have gone thru a jury, review the case and submit it to my company I work for. I like having my own schedule.

I love banana bread and make one that does not stay in the house very long. Good bakers are always in demand.

7. Nickchick

Threads:
    I think I have one of those sites bookmarked. How often do you get picked? I was thinking about it but I've always been apprehensive because they are real court cases and afraid of judging the wrong thing. I don't know much about law.

8. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Creating a website is actually easy these days because its just a click next next thing. all you need is a domain and hosting and you can install a website via cpanel. The harder part is running a business considering the competition today. I'm working at home but don't get to earn much.. unlike some other reputable ones who earn about $25+/hour.

If you are to start an online business, what kind?

9. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the info on

. I never heard of that place before!

Well, I have tried working from home selling products, etc. However, nothing has really worked out enough to merit a bonafide income. Lately, though, I am thinking about getting started in this arena again. Working for someone else is hard, especially when they treat you crazy. So, I am ready to try, try, try again.

My Dream . . .
    workathome_intro.

#9Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  10. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer not having a boss. My ego does not like to take orders. I feel better when I am in control.

With that said, working for a boss is not for everyone. If you dont like it, be creative and create your own job.

11. Nickchick

Threads:
    Yeah I wish that I was that time of person because I know that's the only way I'm going to be financially successful. Being my own boss, I wouldn't have to wait and worry about someone considering me good enough to work for them. I just know from experience that I would be one of the worst bosses. I am not the leader type though sadly I'm not the follower type either so I am starting to wonder where my place is. I don't fit anywhere.

12. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I work from home as a sideline hobby. I work on various websites to generate a passive income. I often make more with my sideline jobs then my regular outside the home job. I prefer to not stay home all the time so a real at home job wouldn't do me. The thought of no boss is great but often times, we must deal with one.

13. Nickchick

Threads:
    Recently, I have seen what you mean about staying home all the time. I would do an at home job if I knew I could get it easier than a regular job but I know there comes a point when you have to leave your home. As much as I'm a homebody, I can't stay at home all my life.

14. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Who ever said "working from home" means you need to be stuck at home? You dont. I work on the go. Recently they made a new invention called the smart phone. it allows you to work on the go. I take my iPhone every with me. You should look into it. I think that iPhones are going to become popular. :/

I guess it depends on your type of work, but I dont think you would need to spend all day at home.

15. Nickchick

Threads:
    Yeah I have an Iphone and a tablet but it does depend on your type of work because certain things you do can't be done on the mobile or are more tedious. Also it's just me but if I work at home I will want to stay at home. Maybe that would change if I lived in a fun state but I don't like going out anywhere around here.

16. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    As others have said, I generally feel a lot better when I am in control of my life and my actions. I've worked for the past 7 years of my life for various different companies and only now am I finally realizing that long-term I don't want to work for somebody else, I want to work for myself. I want to be responsible for my own business, and if necessary, I want to have people working for me. I don't like taking orders and I don't like being bossed around, that's just a part of me. I'm very well presented and I have a lot of ideas in my head though, so if I ever get a break then it may be that I begin to turn my attentions towards building a home business.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sell on eBay but there are bad and good months. I envy some of the other eBay sellers that are doing so great that they have money to rent an office, and have enough time to let high dollar items sit in their stores for a month until they sell for top dollar.

18. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I work from home, but not for myself. Recently my firm recently went virtual office for certain departments so now I work from my home office. It definitely has many perks, I don't have to deal with a commute, I can make lunch at home (could do that when I went into the office but rarely did), if I want to I can sleep in...but there are also quite a few drawbacks. The hours we put in now are ridiculous, it's not uncommon for us to work in excess of twelve hours a day at least 6 days a week, they schedule conference calls for 7 or 8 at night, we're on call 24/7.

19. HValencia789

HValencia789New Member

Threads:
    Agreed, there are ups and downs of working from home. I have a baby girl and working from home has allowed me to spend a lot of time with my little angel. When i used to cummute to work, i would spend close to 3 hours commuting everyday. That really sucked coz i was tired before i even got to the office. If i had the choice, i would choose to work from home