What antivirus do you use?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by 003 • Jun 16, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Initially my laptop came with pre-installed McAffee, but it was only for a trial version and not for the whole year. So instead that I just buy, I searched for the better ones that I can buy. I ended up with Bitdefender. I am not sure if it were the best around, but I am very happy with it. It doesn't cause my laptop to slow down unlike the rest of the antiviruses that I've tried. And it has been really effective in protecting my laptop from viruses I might highly get from torrenting and other free softwares on the internet and documents, things I might get from file sharing from and to people I don't even know if I could trust.

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I never purchased anti-virus for my laptop at all. I have been using the free version of MalwareBytes anti-malware for years and it has been working well for me. There is always an upgrade for it and it allows me a free trial for 30 days of the pro version every time after each upgrade then back to the free version after the 30 days is over.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used McAffee and AVG anti-virus, and I must say that I'm quite content with AVG's free version of the anti-virus. Why pay when there's free ones, right? lol. I actually want to try using other brands like Avast, but it might conflict with AVG on my pc.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using a free antivirus, Avast. It's light on resources and I got used to the functions along the years. It also has a payed version (that advertises more options) but I never upgraded. Avast, coupled with common sense (no clicking on weird links/sites), keeps my PC safe and it's been years since I last had virus issues.

#4Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah it does seem like Avast is the best. They say Avira is good too but Avast is probably the best to keep installed. It's difficult to be completely satisfied with one but it is probably the one that gives your computer the best chance of being safe.

6. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I use the free version of avast. That's what I've used for years and I haven't had any problems with it so far. I haven't really had any viruses so I'm assuming its worked pretty good.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I download lots of videos from numerous sites each day. Most of those videos come along with some baggage: trojans, viruses, key-logger etc. To stay safe I would have to scan all those files but since that would take a long time, I had to find something that would not only protect my computer but save me time scanning files and I found - Baseline Shield. It works like Deep Freeze. Once you reboot your computer the software restores the system to it's previous state [before it was infected]. It works well for me.

8. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    About 2 years ago I had continuous issues with viruses. I literally had to format my computer on a month-to-month basis because I would have some serious viruses and my computer would no longer be functional. In the end I bought an antivirus known as kasperky. It was really good but it was limited to one year. At the end of the year I was back suffering at the helm of viruses. At point I was then introduced to Windows defender. Windows defender is actually one of the best antiviruses out there. I have never had any problems with viruses ever since moving to Windows defender and I would recommend this to anybody looking for good and strong antivirus.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah before my last computer broke down, I had to restore several times, not on a month-to-month basis but quite often. It weighs your system down when you do that multiple times too. I should have learned about Shadow Defender or the like then or else I never would have had a problem doing download offers from GPT sites. I feel like Windows Defender doesn't find as much as it should but maybe that's just me.

10. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I use Kaspersky Pure 3.0 and I'm more than happy with it. It not only detects all viruses I run across, it also warns me when I try to download something possibly dangerous. I'm not sure about the price of it though since I won it at some kind of giveaway. If I wouldn't have won it, I think I wouldn't use it since most free antivirus programs work just as good. I'm just happy with it because it also offers some other great features that free programs don't offer.

11. fivebyfive

fivebyfiveNew Member

Threads:
    I used to use AVG Free antivirus because it was free and pretty thorough. Then I discovered how much memory it was using running resident on my computer and after about five years I said goodbye. Currently I use AVAST anti virus which is free, lightweight and working much more quickly than AVG ever did.

12. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    Free Avast here too.

It doesn't use up too much of your system's memory,
    and also it's quite effective in blocking viruses.

13. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Okay now this is bugging me quite a lot. I know I posted in this thread before!

Anyway, I've only ever used Avast. Originally because of the name, but then I realised it was a lot better than most other AV's out there, so I'd install the AV of family members, install Avast and tell them to use that since it's better. My uncle, who works in computers, kept taking it off since he'd say it was just some horrible fake AV that was letting viruses through, and would say how good Norton/AVG was. Worst of all, I'd always get the blame if there was an issue with the computer.

So as soon as I got my own computer, I said that I was never going to touch the family computer again. And lo and behold, it still got problems.

Then a year or two ago when I went home, and I was watching my mum do something on the family computer I noticed Avast was on it. Turns out my uncle has been installing it for quite some time because it's so good.

14. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    I use Avast and to be honest its a superb one because it always worked for me and kinda tension free it is.You just need to buy it once and you get what you expect from a antivirus according to the needs,So yeah its a good thing to be discussed we surely get to learn a lot.

15. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Hi, I've used quite a few anti-viruses before settling with AVG Internet Security.

I've used Kaspersky for a while, but eventually dumped it for avast. I noticed that Kaspersky knew a lot about how to detect the presence of viruses in my PC (In fact, it used to make a lot of irritating noise once it detects a virus), but didn't have the power to really get rid of them. I know this because, after scanning my system for viruses, Kaspersky will scream and let me know that viruses have been found, it'll then ask if I wanted them deleted: Normally, my answer will be yes. Hit the yes button, and Kaspersky will tell you the threat has been removed. The shocker will surface when you re-scan your system, just to be sure that the virus has been deleted. Alas! Kaspersky will begin to scream again, telling you that the same virus has been found, in the same location on you PC as before.

It didn't take long before I began to see the need to ditch the software and look for a better one. In the process, I picked-up Avast, only to discover that avast was similar to Kaspersky - Made a lot of noise, found the viruses, but couldn't heal them.

When I entered the world of AVG Internet Security, everything changed. Finally, I had a piece of software that could actually guard my PC against malwares.

Like one of the earlier posters rightly spotted, AVG can be greedy when it comes to using system resources, which can negatively affect system performance; but I think that can be easily dealt with by doing a system upgrade.

All-in-all, I think AVG Internet Security is a very good anti-virus software, and that's what I currently use.

16. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using Eset Nod32 Antivirus for over a year now and I couldn't be happier with my antivirus. It does the job really good. It really cleans up my system, digs deeper and targets all kinds of malicious threats in my computer. What i like about it as well is how quickly it scans the system. The interface also looks good, really classy and nice to look at. I've heard this antivirus called Webroot though and i'm curious about it. Anyone have tried it?

#16Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  17. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    I do not use antivirus. Right now I use a version of Linux. Due to its improved security architecture, there is no need to install solutions against viruses.

When I run windows in a virtual machine (virtualbox), I do so only with clean programs, preferably coming from CD (read-only). Also, the virtual machine has no internet connection enabled.

If all of us used Linux => NO virus epidemics.

18. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I use NOD32 antivirus software. It's the best out there, In my opinion. I'm extremely happy with it. The program runs in the background and notifies me whenever I open a potentially dangerous website. If I download an iffy file, it moves it to the quarantine. Once a month, I check my computer for any viruses that NOD32 didn't pick up at first sight. Even though I use the computer a lot, I rarely get any security threats on my computer.

As long as it stays as good as it is now, NOD32 will stay my antivirus software of choice!

19. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using the free version of Avast on my PC for four years now. I am very satisfied with it. I also use Linux so I don't worry too much about viruses. Just be very cautious when browsing the web and you shouldn't really have problems with viruses.

20. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I use Kaspersky for my Mac and Symantec for the Windows machines I have. Ultimately, Kaspersky seems to be the best. It is lightweight and doesn't bog down the computer as much as MacAfee or Symantec. The only reason I haven't sompletely switched over is because the Windows machines are work machines and our IT head prefers we use his favorites.