Do you still buy newspapers?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by prettycolors • Jun 23, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    With so many free news sources online I'm wondering if any of you still pay for newspapers, either bought per piece at a stand or via subscriptions.
    Personally, it's been years since I last bought a newspaper. Not only I'm saving that money but I can now cross-check the news I'm interested in online and I can form a better/truer image of the situation I'm reading about.

What about you?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    For news? Nope!

The only time I ever buy a newspaper is when I want/need a physical, printed form of something.

For example, when I go yardsaling, I'll get a newspaper for the classifieds still. Sometimes there are award/announcements in the newspaper, too, so I'll snip those out for my family.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a newspaper in years. Usually when I go to a newsagency, I often read the headlines and front page of a paper while waiting to be served. If there are some news that I need to know more about, I later look them up on the internet. I don't like to waste my money on an entire paper as I usually only ever read two or three pages of it. The rest ends up in the paper recycling bin.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I think the internet is going to make alot of things "extinct" including newspapers. The other day I had to look something up and didn't have a newspaper because I don't buy them and was able to scroll through the digital version online. I give it another 10 years and they may stop selling traditional newspapers all together especially with the increasing push to recycle.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy newspapers simply because I don't hate hearing about all the bad things happening around the world, what some politician said, who some celebrity married. Such stuff can be very annoying so to save myself needlessly getting angry I don't watch news nor buy newspapers. I'm supposing my negative attitude towards news has saved quite a bit of money.

6. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    The only time I've read a newspaper in the past 5 years was when I was at a hotel and it just showed up in the morning.

It is a dying medium that is too behind on the times..

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I still like the idea of being able to sit up some mornings with a cup of hot coffee and pastry with a paper newspaper in one hand. Truth, I only read about 30% of the Sunday paper and half of the alternative news freebie. I realize the internet allows freedom for readers to choose their content but I guess I'm old school like that.

8. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Well this just summed it up word for word for me! So much so, I have nothing else much to say! That's impressive for me, lol. Dang, great minds as they say. I do like it tho when my elderly mother gives me newspapers, they are good for the garden, and I enjoy using them there, as help to cut down the crab grass along with other measures.

9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Well to be honest, yes, I do buy the newspaper, I buy the newspaper at times because of where I live, there are some parts of the newspaper that are available in the press that are not available online, and so, to get in the know, I purchase the newspaper, secondly, there are some very useful notices in the printed newspaper that I would like to secure and so, I buy the printed newspaper with that intention, the online link at times, may expire or will be taken off the internet abruptly for some reason or the other. I do find that reading the online version is more enjoyable, in that, you can multitask while online. So while I do buy the printed newspaper at times, I read the online version more often.

10. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I used to like the good feel of the NY Times in my hand but now I see it as a waste of not only money but paper. I read the Times online a couple times a week and watch CNN for about 15 minutes before I go to work. I also read a lot about news around the world on forums since there is insight from people all over the world. And a paper newspaper is ridiculously expensive now even if you subscribe for one. When I left NY the Sunday NY Times was $4.50. And that was 6 years ago. I shudder to think how much it is now.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy newspapers, but I never had the habit of buying them. My parents used to buy them and my aunt still buys them on the weekends. I prefer to read everything electronic. I pretty much only use newspapers in the potty area for my dog!

12. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I do still buy newspapers occasionally, even though the information is readily available online. There are several reasons for this. Firstly, I prefer the reading experience. Secondly, some of the smaller, localor funny stories are not online. Finally, I enjoy other apsects of the newspaper other than the news, such as the puzzles, problem pages and reader's letters. There are also often features on things like cooking, gardening or travel that I sometimes enjoy.

13. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. Seems like waste of paper and money for me since I get all my news from the internet. It's faster and can be more accurate since they have almost real time updating. But I think they still sell for those people that still wants to read the paper or for coffee shops, no I take that back most coffee shops now have Wi-Fi.

14. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think there is a need to buy newspapers anymore. We are in a technology age and everything is faster online or on a smartphone. We actually get news faster while using technology. I think we should stop selling newspapers, so we can save money.

15. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy a subscription to any newspaper, but I do enjoy having a cup of coffee with a copy of the New York Times every once in awhile. It's really relaxing for me and those days I start out doing generally turn out to become pretty darn good days. As an aspiring journalist as well, it's a good learning opportunity for me too to study up on some of the best journalist writing in the world.

But for the most part, buying a newspaper subscription is waste of money with how much information is available online. It's very rare anymore where a paper has info that hasn't already been released by a Newspaper.

16. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely don't buy newpapers, but I do get a lot of my news from their internet sites. In Canada some of the most popular news sites are based on print newspapers, and unfortunately there has been a trend lately to put their articles behind a paywall, which seems very shortsighted to me.

I like reading a newspaper while I'm sitting at a doctors office or waiting for a meal, but I have no interest in having one arrive every day with yesterdays news in it.

17. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just pull up the paper on the internet and read it that way. I think that newspapers are becoming a thing of the past. I know that our newspaper had stopped running a Monday edition to save money because there were fewer people buying them. I know people who only buy the Sunday paper to get the sales ads and the coupons out of it.

18. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't, I never quite got into reading the newspaper. I was highly encouraged by a high school teacher to do so, but I just never have been able to get into it. I read Time magazine, their subscription gets the price per issue down really low, and I prefer the well thought out way they put their articles together. It's not about cranking out an article in no time at all and getting on the press, they are a weekly magazine, so they have a little more time to do a good job.

19. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I know newspaper are very much outdated but I still buy them mostly because I love to read newspaper with my morning tea. I do not think the price really matters much as it is quite minimal. I think it is really great that a lot of people still buy newspaper and enjoy reading them.

20. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    I rarely read news articles, however, when I do, it's all online. There will be new news everyday and it's simply not convenient to carry around a newspaper wherever I go. On the internet, I can simply load up any kind of article I wish to read and bookmark it if I have to read it later on.