Reading on the computer or reading on Kindle?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by limitless1585 • Jul 1, 2014.

1. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    What do you prefer reading on your computer or reading on Kindle? I tried my sister's Kindle and It's a lot easier to read on the Kindle. I like reading on my laptop, but it isn't comfortable reading on my bed with my laptop. Is the Kindle worth it, are you satisfied with the Kindle product?

2. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I have the kindle app for my ipad, I also have a kindle app for the smartphone, but I prefer the size of the ipad. I really love it and read e-books a lot that way. I even have some recipe books and take it in the kitchen on it's stand.

I may want a kindle only because of the glare, but so far it's been ok. I know I would like some of the newer features like the 'reader' that reads outloud. But so far, there has always been other things to ask for that I need worse, lol.

3. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Oh this question is a no-brainer for me! A tablet feels a lot more like a book so it is much easier to handle. That is definitely the only way I will read a book, aside from a "real" book. I do like to read articles on my computer but even then, I don't mind reading them on my tablet.

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    For me it depends on what I'm reading. I prefer reading novels on my tablet while on my bed or on the couch. But for other reading materials like references, how to's etc.. I prefer reading it on my desktop or laptop. Because I tend to search internet terms when I'm reading these things and it's much easier for me to go from one application to another when I'm using my PC or laptop. :)

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer reading on my PC because I'm one of those people with a very short attention span. I like to multi-task. Read a little, watch a short video, participate in discussions on forums and so on. That's why I prefer reading on my PC because apart from reading I can do a lot of other things.

6. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I like the Kindle product. I prefer to read on it because it's much easier to hold when I am in bed or in a public setting. I don't have many complaints on my Kindle so far. I got it 3 months ago and it works great. I never had a Kindle before and received it as a birthday gift. I will give it an A rating for now.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I mostly read at my computer.

If I spent a lot of time reading actual books, then I'd definitely prefer a Kindle for it. They're very easy on the eyes and convenient.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love my Amazon Kindle. One of the best purchases I've ever made in my life. If you like reading at all, I highly recommend buying one. It's just nice having all your books in one place and having it be sort portable all the time.

Once I got mine, I was reading a couple books a month on top of my school work. It got me back into reading, like I was when I was little.

9. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather read on a kindle if I did not have the physical medium. I have tried reading books on the computer but I always end up alt tabbing to other things.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well my phone can read ebooks, and a Kindle is the same as a tablet, so I think I would have to say that it depends on my mood. If I want to look at a larger screen then I read the ebook in the pc. But if I want to relax and lie down while I'm reading then I read it using my phone, since I don't own a Kindle.

11. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I dont prefer reading ebooks but I actually liked the amazon kindle. Especially the one that doesnt have a backlight. I dont own one and that is the first thing on my to buy list. :)

12. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer Kindle as well. If you're reading on the computer, at some point you'll get tired of slouching and your back would start demanding attention so of course you would want to lie down and then what? The reading stopped. But if you're reading through your Kindle you can sit, stand, jump up and down or lie down while reading and nothing would stop you from reading your book. So, i think Kindle is really perfect for reading. ;)

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer my laptop as it is easier to navigate and to search for books. I also bookmark and make notes for reference so it is easier for me to switch windows when I am writing. If I was reading a novel, then a kindle would be better, but as I prefer physical books for fiction.

I usually have books on both my kindle and on the laptop as an option. Some books can only be downloaded onto a kindle, so it is useful to have both!

14. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    If I'm reading electronically, I actually prefer it on my laptop...but if I was given the choice, I would go secondarily to an iPad - perhaps using the kindle app, but not likely. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Kindle format, and prefer other delivery methods. Since I've started using Scribd I have enjoyed that format exceptionally.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I listen to my books as I don't have time to sit down and read a book. If I did have time to read I would do it on my tablet. I like the ability to set the table on my lap and fall asleep, the laptop is a little to big to be comfortable the backlight on the table is not as bright as the laptop.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've recently grown more used to reading on my tablet which I was originally against. I'd still much rather just read a physical book though especially if I'm reading to get sleepy because I'm always very afraid of falling asleep while reading and accidentally dropping my device whereas I'd have no such problems with an actual book. It's very convenient for storing lots of books in one small space though.

17. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't have a Kindle. But I do have a laptop and a Galaxy Note 2. I use them both for reading. eBooks. Which do I find more comfortable? Well, if I want to easily read comics without the need of zooming in and out, I just go for my laptop. However, if I have to read on the go, or read while I'm lying down, or read epub files and cbr files, I go for my Note 2.

Will I buy a Kindle just for the sole purpose of reading eBooks on it? Probably not...

#17Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  18. SevenWays

SevenWaysNew Member

Threads:
    Lindbergh is right, I can't bring myself to buy a Kindle solely for Ebooks either. I often buy Ebooks on Amazon or other sites when the price is really convenient, but there are other ways to read the files. It is a bit less comfortable on a computer, but that's where I spend most of my time anyway. Probably a tablet is the best choice, unless you're an avid and constant reader it's better to have a device with more functions.
    I'm a hopeless romantic though, and I'll always prefer a physical book whenever the difference in price isn't big. I still haven't convinced my mind that I'm actually reading a book even when it's on a screen.

19. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    The Kindle is much better if you are an avid reader. The biggest factor being the lack of backlight on the device. Reading on a pc tends to take a toll on your eyes and strains them a lot more than the Kindle screen ever will, even after hours of reading on it. If you tend to read long novels the Kindle will definitely be the superior reading device, but if you limit yourself to small articles and general web browsing than the pc will suit your needs. It all comes down to how much discomfort you're willing to put your eyes through to read a good book.

20. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    The kindle is what I prefer when reading books etc. The kindle's screen is much brighter and it is much easier to handle and carry around. Laptops and computers are usually in one position making it uncomfortable to read at times. The Kindle can even hold in a purse. Also you cant always take your laptop or computer everywhere.