Short or long programme for your washing machine?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by prettycolors • Jul 2, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Up until a few months ago I was using a washing cycle that took over an hour, even for barely dirty clothes. This resulted in increased water and electricity consumption plus increased stress on my clothes and washing machine. Then, at a friends suggestion, I started using a shorter cycle of 30 minutes. My costs on washing have dropped and the clothes are as clean as they were when I was using the longer program.

What about you?

(p.s. - I'm posting this on fashion since it's about clothes? Feel free to move if not appropriate.)

2. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I only use the long cycle on the washing machine when I have a heavy load of muddy cloths when my husband rides his four wheeler. I hate the long cycle cause take for ever to wash cloths. I prefer the short cycle it quicker and you get alot of loads washing.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use an automatic washing machine, and I choose the two rinse and 10 min. duration for each rinse, then I choose the "normal" wash mode. Then I spin it for 1 minute. I think that's a reasonable wash time for dirty clothes, since I don't notice them getting worn out or anything.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of long washing cycles, as it obviously takes ages to finish and uses up a lot of water and electricity. Also, I only ever use cold water. In all the houses that I have lived, the hot water tap was disconnected for energy saving purposes. Here, where I am renting now, I am using the machine that was already in the apartment. It is pre-set to three different cycles. Short, medium and long. I always use the 38 minute option.

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    If I can use the short cycle I definitely use it, but if there is any doubt in my mind I go with the longer cycle. I figure two things, one being if the clothes don't get clean with the shorter cycle they will have to go in again so I would have been better off choosing the long, and two, I want to make sure my clothes always get as clean as they can be so they look nice and last longer.

6. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    For regular laundry, I use short cycles. My gram once told me that it shouldn't take longer than 7 minutes to wash clothes. Sounds about right. For heavily soiled clothes, I choose longer cycles. Unfortunately, there have been times my sons have come home so filthy that it took 2 washings to "clean" their work clothes.

7. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    Only short cycle for regular clothes.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I finally own a washer where I have control over this!

My previous washer only had options for size and for temperature. I couldn't decide how long a cycle lasted....they all lasted the same.

My new one allows me to make all sorts of adjustments, though! I lvoe it.

9. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I have always used the shorter cycle for washing clothes. I know sometimes if you leave certain clothes in the washing machine for too long, it can cause some clothing to tear a little if the fabric is relatively fragile to even agitating your skin due to the amount of detergent require for longer cycles. And last but never least, I am always about saving money.

10. thestoryteller1

thestoryteller1New Member

Threads:
    I don't have that options on my machine- you chose 2 things- temperature(which depends on the fabric of course) and whether you rinse things of not. I usually do 1 rinse on medium after the washing is fully done.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will usually wash my clothes on the long program... I feel the same as you about electricity and water consumption, but at the same time when I do it on the short program I sometimes felt like the clothes were not properly washed, so I had to do it again. So I just use the long one just in case.