Living Water

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by Tiara Murphy • Jul 4, 2014.

1. Tiara Murphy

Tiara MurphyNew Member

Threads:
    Living Water is a Christian foundation that provides third world countries will wells so that they have access to clean drinking water.

783 million people do not have access to clean water and almost 2.5 billion do not have access to adequate sanitation.

Diarrhea is the third biggest killer of children under five years old in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Every year, around 60 million children are born into homes without access to sanitation.*

The 2015 UNICEF goal to halve the proportion of people living without sanitation is running 150 years behind schedule.*

Achieving universal access to safe water and sanitation would save 2.5 million lives every year.*

Lack of access to clean water inevitably leads to poverty. A day spent searching for water or bed-ridden from a water born illness is one less day a living can be made.

Women and children are typically the ones responsible for searching for water. Bring them water – improve their lives.

Safe water, clean hands and faces, and toilets could prevent 90% of the 2.2 million deaths caused each year by lack of access to clean water.

Keeping children parasite free with clean drinking water keeps children in school.

With a one time donation of $15, Living Water can use that to provide one person with a lifetime of clean water. Also, being a Christian organization, they then teach them about Jesus Christ, the living water :)

2. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I have a few questions for you about the organization.
    *How long has the organization been running?
    *What countries are they in?
    *How much money does it cost per well?
    *Do they use local people to help dig the wells or does a team from the organization come into the community?
    *What does it cost to upkeep the well per year?
    *Do they have a website?

Thank you very much. I am going to see about researching this foundation.

3. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    pure water

I just wrote a short article on purifying water for someone trying to sell bottled water. How much of your effort goes to teaching people how to purify water? There are techniques to purify water when you are in wilderness areas, even if you have no equipment with you. Of course, you need some source of water, even damp dirt. People do not live in areas with no water. Sometimes they use it up and make a place uninhabitable.
    Do you know what a clivus multrum is? It does not have to be a brand name product, can be built anywhere and does not use water.

#3Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. Tiara Murphy

Tiara MurphyNew Member

Threads:
    Great questions! They've been running for about 21 years. They've built wells in 26 countries in Africa, South America, North America, and Asia. I'm actually waiting to phone conference with a rep about how much building a single well costs. I know that it varies depending on the countries. For some, it can be $1,000. For others, you're looking upwards of $10,000. They use locals and they also use trained team members. You can actually sign up and pay for a training camp with them and they teach you how to put these wells in. The upkeep also varies per company, but what they do is go in beforehand and teach the community proper hygiene and well management techniques. The community then must set up a reliable system for paying for the maintenance of the well, but it's a very, VERY small fraction of the cost that they usually are paying for "clean" water to be brought in for their purchase, which usually isn't really clean. They have a website! :)

I hope that helps!

They don't focus so much on the purifying of the existing water. They're going in and finding these water sources that are literally right under their feet. They drill wells that are 1,500 feet deep, so instead of those wells that maybe go 150 feet deep and are easily used up, they're finding massive sources much deeper down that feed these smaller ones. Beforehand, they teach hygiene and well maintenance to the community. I don't know what a clivus multrum is, but I'll look into it!

#4Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  5. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the information. I appreciate that you answered all my questions. I did not want to seem like a pest, but I think it is better to be well-informed! Thanks again.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently saw a video on Youtube about a trend to build and live in Tiny Houses with one of the componets being a "clivus multrum" system for their toilet. At first the thought of a composting toilet was something I thought would be disgushting but once I looked it up and got more information it is a system that can save a lot of water usage and money. As we use more and more of our natural resouces up we should be looking to alternative methods of handling all of the waste the millions of people on earth create everyday. Not just physical wasste but natural waste also.

7. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:

A clivus multrum is a scientifically designed composting toilet that can be used as an indoor toilet and uses no water and produces clean compost that can be put directly into your vegetable garden. There is a company that produces pre-made units, or you can build your own. Most states allow them. When the idea was first published, most areas did not have zoning provisions that would allow them, but they are now widely allowed.