Offering plants

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Peninha • Jul 4, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to give plants usually to my grandmother and my mother, but I don't like receiving plants because they occupy a lot of space, space that I don't have at my place. I am not saying that it's like offering a pet, but it's somewhat similar. Do you usually give plants? Do you enjoy receiving them?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I give and receive plants as gifts. True, space is a concern so I only gift them to people that already have a passion for them and the necessary space to grow them. The plants are nothing fancy, just the usual ones you find in some supermarkets for cheap - it's the intention that matters after all ;)

3. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Oh I LOVE getting plants as gifts, and I"ll find a space for them if it kills me. lol. I only give them tho to people that are like me and want them. And then only something I think will fit in their space, if they have no others plants and it' won't be too hard to find a space, in other words. I also give only according to the kind of plant they want. Although for mother's day I will give live mini roses in a pot or hanging basket. Who doesn't like roses? But mostly, I'll taylor it to them as much as I can or I just don't give it.

Fun question. :)

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I once got a cactus. :) I got it when I attended my cousin's wedding. The couple was giving it to all the guests as their wedding souvenir. I think it's cute and unique compared to small figurines or cupcakes that I usually see at weddings.

Anyway, to answer the question, yes I like receiving plants but only those that can be stored indoors. As for giving it as a gift - no, because I don't know much about plants.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know, everyone says that, the intention is what matters, but I think people should realize the space that people have and if they want to have the responsibility of taking care of another living being... My brother for example, he knows where I live and a few years ago offered my kid a huge teddy dog... What was he thinking? Off to the storage place...

6. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I like receiving plants that don't need to stay indoors, I have a big yard and I love filling it with flowers and cool looking plants. However, in the house, I really don't like having plants, they are a magnet for insects, and when they shed, you have dried leaves on your coffee table. I usually don't gift plants to people because I'm never sure if they can handle it, or if they have some sort of allergies that would make it hard for them to keep the plant around.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My current apartment has a little outdoor spot for plants, so I wish someone would give me plants as a gift, but in reality I buy them for myself. I have given plants as gifts in the past, but my friend let them die, so I gave up on doing that.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I give and receive plants and even look for sick plants that people maybe tired of. I love plants and don't think I can ever get too many. Some one gave my daughter a plant as an open house gift not knowing she does not care for plants. That plant no belongs to me.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I understand that you need to have a lot of space to do that right Pat? I think it's great, if we have the space and the love for plants we should get them, but at the same time I am not the kind of person to let them die even if I don't want one, that is why I think it's not the gift for everyone.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well anyone who knows me well enough knows that I'm not very fond of plants, so I doubt I will be receiving one. But I won't mind giving plants to someone I know that would love to have them as a gift. Right now though, aside from my dad I can't think of anyone who is into them.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's exactly the question, is a matter of knowing what you love, but also being aware of the space you have available and the responsibilities you are willing to have, after all we are discussing something that lives, not an object and therefore shouldn't be offered just like that. I don't offer living things unless I know the person really well, it's just how I feel about it.