Supermarket catalogs, do they convince you to go shopping?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by prettycolors • Jul 4, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Let's say you received in the mail the latest catalog from your go to supermarket. It's the middle of the week and you only shop on weekends, but you saw some items that you want, sold cheaply. Would you go shopping?

I'm asking this because usually I just ignore the supermarket catalogs and shop only when I have time, regardless of the offer.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would go for shopping just to avail those promotion so I would be able a couple of money. I would probably go straight after work and not go anymore on weekends. Besides however little time I have, I would still have to go to the supermarket to shop for the stuff that I need. It's really a need to go to it. And it is, then it wouldn't hurt to make it even if it were out of schedule, not of the planned day and time.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I like browsing store catalogs but it doesn't influence my shopping activity. However, if I saw something in the catalog that I need and "on sale", well that's a different story. Maybe I will go out and buy it - but it still depends on how much I really need the item. :D

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would if they are items that I want enough and the discount is substantial enough, but honestly, that rarely happens as most of the discounts I see are usually just too small for me to make a special trip to the grocery for. I'd most likely just ignore the potential savings and just go when I regularly do if that were the case, which most times it is. To me, it's just a fun catalog to browse, and with all the promos online I can take advantage of instead, I rarely give in to the small promos they offer offline anymore.

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Same here partner. I'm not big on catalogs at all. I have specific days I go shopping and if I catch a sale, that's great. If I miss the offer, that's okay too. I am really good staying within my budget and I don't overspend when I do grocery shopping. All throughout the store I am doing calculations in my head to ensure I stay within my price range. If I can't afford something or miss the offer, then I'll find another store to see if I an get the same item at a cheaper price.

6. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    It really depends on how much time I have, sometimes, I see specialty items on sale in these catalogs and in such cases, I am likely to take an extra trip to the supermarket. But normally, I flip through these catalogs and then put them out of my mind, nobody has time to go shopping everyday, and having a specific day when you shop makes it more likely that you don't get unnecessary items and waste your money.

7. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, they always convince me to go shopping I actually look for the Sunday papers cause they always have them and sales be going on like crazy. I get that paper and get to comparing prices and off to the store I do. I get in the store and also try to completable pricing. And I always come back with a car full of everything that I need.

8. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    It depends, if it is about the time I need to shop for food or for a holiday and I get the paper that is showing sales, yes. I'd rather save a little money shopping now, then spending full price and losing more money in the end. I tend to wait to shop anyway if I know a holiday or something is coming up. Now, if I didn't need anything, no. I'm not going to waste my money on stuff I want, but don't need.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll never go shopping because I see some things are being sold cheaply. I always make a weekly budget, buy what I need for the week and don't buy anything more until the next time I go shopping. I think these catalogs specifically target impulse shoppers. Should they see a good bargain, they drop everything and go shopping but end up spending more than they planned to anyway.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local supermarket has Buy One Get One free promotions that they promote in their circulars , so it is possible that I would make an extra trip to get free items, regardless of my usual shopping schedule. As a single parent, I'm always looking for deals on items that we use every day.

11. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I like to check the circulars but they rarely motivate me to go shopping on a day other than my usual shopping day. The times I will switch up my routine would be if the grocery store was having a promotion on one day only. One of my favorite local grocery stores will run about once a month a week where starting on Wednesday and running through Saturday each day has 3-5 great deals whether it is buy one/get one, or items for 50% off so when they run these promotions I will go on those days instead of my usual Saturday.

12. rubydust

rubydustNew Member

Threads:
    I do browse through the catalogues, and sometimes they will convince me to go to that store. But I wouldn't make a special trip, I would go on my usual shopping day and hope that they still have some sale items left. It's not worth going out your way to make a special trip, because any money you save on groceries would be offset by the cost of the extra petrol you use to travel there.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dad buys the newspaper every morning, and we always frequently get those catalogs from the mall included in the newspaper. I browse the catalogs sometimes, but just to check out the prices of the items that are featured in there. It has never influenced me to go to the store immediately the moment I see an item that I like.