Best Headache Medication

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DrRipley • Jul 9, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I get migraines somewhat frequently, so I've gotten to try a good variety of headache medication, but I haven't tried them all as we don't really have that much variety in our area. I heard that the gel caps were more effective and fast acting, but they aren't available here, unfortunately. Of the ones, I've tried, however, I think I like Tylenol PM the most since it knocks me out so I don't have to deal with the head pain and I get cured of it while I nap. If I'm not able to nap, I'd most likely just reach for Advil or regular Tylenol. Do you have any favorites you would recommend when it comes to migraine medication?

2. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    Feverfew has an active component that can control the inflammation that constricts the blood vessels in the head and prevents blood vessel spasms, which may contribute to headaches. Try it at a dosage between 50-100 mg. Then, Ginkgo Biloba helps maintain peripheral circulation to the brain, at a suggested dosage of 40 mg. Another herb such as White Willow contains a chemical similar to aspirin, try this at 60 mg.

Also, another important nutrient that can help to loosen up your headache is magnesium. Be sure you get enough of it through your diet or via supplement. Magnesium has an important effect on your proper nerve function.

3. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard great things about Feverfew as well. I even went so far as to buy a bottle to treat my own migraines...and then I got pregnant. You are not supposed to ingest herbs like that while pregnant so I stopped. A hormone in my body while pregnant also kept the migraines to a minimum, thank God. I can't vouch for the effectiveness of Feverfew but I know quite a few people that do.

My go-to migraine medication is Excedrin Migraine. It stops them in their tracks. I've also read that drinking Gatorade when you feel one coming on will stop it from hitting you full force. I've never tried that either and always forget that tip when I feel one coming but I think its worth looking into if you keep Gatorade on hand.

4. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    I get headaches followed by sinus problems, or vise versa. I don't like using medications as they upset my tummy and make me feel sick. The thing that helps me is those cold ice gel back things. I love the Be Kool ones with Mickey on them. I found them by getting them for my kids when they were sick and feverish. We had leftovers and I had a headache so I tried one. It helped numb the pain and I could finally sleep. Now, I don't use anything but them. :)

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Instead of trying to kill the headache with painkillers, why don't you try and find out what is causing the migraines? Are you allergic to certain foods or poisons in your environment? Are you suffering a lot from stress or tension? I think it might be a really good idea to find the root causes for your pain. Often headaches are also caused by bad digestion or toxic overload.

6. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I love Excedrin Migraine with the coated caplets. I always suffer with migraines since I was a kid. Sighs, I remember my poor mom taking me to a doctor's office that was nearly an hour away from our home to find out what was wrong with me. I tried every headache medication I can think of but Excedrin did the trick. I take this medication and inside of 5 minutes the headache is gone. I'm not kidding either.

7. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    The only actual medicine that I have bought from the store that worked for my migraines is Excedrin. I love that stuff, two of the migraine strength ones doesn't make it go away, but makes it go away enough so that I can actually focus and get on with my day. I also found a home remedy that works for me. Not always, but a lot of times it will. You need 8 ounces of hot water, 3 tablespoons of cinnamon, and 3 tablespoons of honey. It gets rid of mild migraines.

8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    One small trick that I discovered to be very effective with headaches is drinking ice cold coke. It works for me all the time. It only takes like 10 mins before my headache fades away. I think it's because of the caffeine content. It's really not a bad solution, huh? I like the taste of coke, especially when there's too much ice and so the fact that it cures my headache is a bonus.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Try juicing for a month. It really has positive effects in almost all facets of common sickness like headaches. Also, it's better to prevent it than to cure it. By this, you might want to avoid the things that cause your headache because pain relievers don't always work. They effectiveness varies from people to people. And also they pose some harmful effects in the body if they are taken in high doses. There would also be times that you would have to take in high doses because small ones won't work.

10. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Almonds also help alleviate headache pain. You only need to eat a handful. Having said that, I'm guilty of taking some PM medication so I could just sleep the headache away.

11. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, I rarely get headaches. However, whenever I do, I use Excedrin Migraine. The mix of medication in these little pills work. They don't take too long either. So, I'd recommend them. You can get a bottle at Walgreen's.

B00007ITA0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.

12. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I suffer from headaches too. I take a variety of headache pills. I think BC powder works the best for me. It doesn't taste that good, but it does help my head from hurting. When I don't have BC, I drink green tea. That calms my head down too. It's also cheaper than o-t-c medicine which is great for me.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have severe headaches all the time, but thankfully now I will only have them sometimes when I am too stressed out or when I didn't sleep well. My favorite medicines for headaches are Advil and Tylenol.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never had migraines, but whenever my head aches, I just take Biogesic and after taking one tablet, my head ache is gone already. I hope that it's available in your area, and you can buy it without prescription too.

#14Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014