What is a unique gift for an elderly woman?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Tapel • Jul 9, 2014.

1. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    Hi guys! I need your help!

My grandma is celebrating her 91st birthday on July 29. I want to give her a special gift for that day. Do you have any suggestions?

2. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    I personally suggest you make her something the best you can. One time I got this woodburning kit, a tracing paper, and a peice of wood. What I did was find DAFONTs.com or dafont.com I'm not sure, and I looked for a nice font I thought she would like. So I typed in Meemaw, and made it large enough to my liking. I traced it, and then I cut it out and taped it over the wood, like the corners of the tracing paper, and I firmly traced over the paper so it made an indent into the wood. When I was done, I drew with a pencial over the indentions so it was like I had a nice perfect print. Then I plugged in the wood burning kit, waited, and then drew it on there the best I could.

It came out absolutely proffesional and my meemaw loved it. She just passed away this morning, and I am here at the hospice now typing to you.

Make it THAT special from your heart, and go all out just for her. Because in the end, she will remember the love that was put into these precious gifts just as Jesus Christ put that much intricate love into giving you chance at everlasting life.

I hope that helps someone today, God bless.

LIONZFIRE

3. giftblooms

giftbloomsNew Member

Threads:
    Hi,
    If your grandma can reading well then I suggest you should give your grandma, her favorite book or any personalized gift like photo frame of your grandma and grandpa.
    She will very happy to see a photo frame.

4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A book for a old person is bad idea giftblooms, they have a hard time with their eyes. I'd go for clothings of pictures, old people love new clothes, especially women (once a woman, always a woman :)), but pictures are a good idea too because older people usually live with their memories and the memories of their loved ones, so that is a winner. ;)

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What are her hobbies and interests? Is she into books? But aside from books, I think she can use a spa package or something like that, you know since she is already old, she deserves something to pamper her body especially now that she's in her 90's.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can find out the sort of things your grandmother liked when she was young I'm sure it would make a good gift. By talking to her about her life when she was young you could easily find that out.

Another great gift for elderly women would be cookbooks. Just get her any fancy cookbook you can find and she'll be happy to try new recipes every other day.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A great gift would be a picture collection of all of family in one place like a collage. She can look at the different pictures and see her loved ones, it can be the family at different ages and even a few that have passed away. It give her memories of the good times passed.

8. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    If you have the time and ability to organize a get together such as a family potluck, that would also be a great gift. More often, they love seeing their grandchildren and to have happy talks with family members she has not seen for so long as well as the regular folks, of course. You can ask the grandchildren to prepare something like a special performance of a song she loves. Treat her as the queen. Set aside any family grudges for the day and just enjoy the time with her.

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Congrats on your grandma turning 91! Good for her... A unique gift could be something personal like an album of pictures that have been laying around in her drawers or something. You can make a nice album or scrapbook bedazzled out with decorations and captions ect...I also like the idea of a performance done for her maybe even like a THIS IS YOUR LIFE... like "when grandma was my age..." the kids can mention what was happening in the world and what type of cars where on the road ect... and they can dress up in costumes. That could be a great history lesson for them as well.

10. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    One of my grandmas is 90 something (no one knows her real age because of issues with birth certificate). We give her clothes, shoes, she also likes hair accessories like elegant pins because she always wears her hair up, she still reads but to make it easier we get her large print books. She used to do gardening but now she doesn't have as much strength. She has potted plants she can take care indoors, all have been gifts from the family. One time I got her an lcd because her old tv was broken.

I think what my grandma appreciates the most is when we go help her out with cleaning chores or home decorating. She still does the basic cleaning but for some things she doesn't have the strength anymore. Every couple of years someone paints her house, on Christmas we decorate it. She likes getting paintings or pictures to hang on the walls.