Weirdest Flavor of Potato Chips?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Parker • Jul 9, 2014.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I ask this question because I saw a chicken and waffle flavor of Lays potato chips yesterday. It startled me. I almost took a picture of it because I just couldn't believe it. I have eaten plenty of chicken and waffles in my younger days, but I wouldn't want to eat chicken and waffle flavored potato chips.

So, what is the weirdest flavor of potato chips that you have seen?

2. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    It's funny you mension those potato chips. When I tried those I was so amazed because the taste of them were more like yummy waffles than anything.

I would think the the loaded baked potato would be weird, but they also taste so amazing.

Above all those don't forget the "voodoo" chips you see in the gas stations. I'm not sure if you have those where your at, but I think I have tried them I don't remember. Everytime I pass the voodoo chips I give it a huge side stare, and slowely walk away.

Now those are a little weird to me!

LIONZFIRE

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    The Voodoo chips are one I will not forget lol I look at chips these days when Im buying them and I be like wow is this dinner or a snack. I saw some chips the other days that were call steak and onion chips and I was amused at how they were selling. I went in the store that morning and stop back by this same store that evening becasue I was gonna try them and they were down to the last 2 bags when the shelf was full that morning. I guess name and flavor sales.

4. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    When I was a kid, about 38 years ago, the Chip Company came out with fruit potato chips. The weirdest flavor was by far grape! I know they had apple and punch I think too, but I really remember grape. Apart from that there was the English Breakfast chips tasting of sausage bacon and egg -they were foul like a repeat eggy burp.

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    They have so many different weird chip flavors. I like the cajun voodoo chips. There is no way I'd touch the chicken and waffle chips. I like chicken and waffles, just not in chip form. I know my store sells sloppy joe flavored chips. They sell rib flavored chips. They also sell steak flavored chips which are amazing. Let me see, they have ketchup flavor which to me is icky. I also know somewhere you can buy chocolate covered potato chips which just kind of freaks me out. Everyone says they are amazing, but I am not willing to give them a chance.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    That certainly is a bit odd for a flavor, and I'm actually curious to taste it. I haven't seen many weird flavors of potato chips, but the oddest ones I have come across are probably wasabi and kimchi, although I wouldn't really regard those as that odd. They do taste kind of alright, provided you choose the right brand of chips because the cuts make a world of difference, in my opinion. I've also tried some of the newer flavors Pringles has to offer, but I don't like any of them - particularly, honey mustard, and I'd much rather just stick with their more traditional flavors but I do appreciate that they keep innovating and hope that they continue to do so in hopes of finding another great one among the new ones.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At a recent party we had beets and sweet potato chips, they were much better than I thought they would be. They are costly for a small bag, something I would get at least once a month as a treat to myself.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Interesting. I do love waffles. I might be brave and give them a try if I can find a small bag.

I love voodoo chips. I don't eat chips very often, but Voodoo and Kettle brands are my favorite.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The sausage, bacon and egg sounds really horrible. I am really surprised at some of the flavors given in this thread.

10. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I love those lays chips! I jtried the garlic cheesy bread, they are great! I think draw the when it comes to waffle flavored though, even though I love chips!

11. SicariusX

SicariusXNew Member

Threads:
    Pringles have released an assortment of chips all with weird flavors, such as "Soft-shell crab" and "Blueberry & Hazelnut". Out of curiosity, I have bought and tried out the latter.. and it was absolutely horrible. I think the management team of Pringles is trying to create a niche in the market by releasing never-heard-of flavors, but they really need to be more in touch with the general whims and fancy of the public.

12. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    Chicken and waffles? That sounds so disgusting to me! LOL I can't imagine how that would even slightly taste good.

As soon as I saw the title of the thread, I was going to say something like "vinegar potato chips", but I think yours tops them all. I just haven't seen any "weird" flavors locally... Then again, I never eat potato chips, so I don't go out searching for new flavors.

13. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I just saw a bag of--I think it is Lays because of the contest they run--mango salsa chips. I didn't buy them, even out of curiosity, because fruity flavors just don't go with chips in my opinion. I like my chips savory and salty with nothing sweet mixed in. I also saw a bag of bacon mac and cheese chips which looked interesting but nowhere near as unique.

14. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I've seen ketchup and siracha and garlic bread and sweet onion. It's amazing the nasty flavors I've seen. I'm sure there's someone out there who likes everything though haha.

15. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting question at an interesting time period for Lays:
    lays-new-flavors-ftr.

I've tried them all. Not too sure about the Cappuccino. Not that it was terrible, just not what I want in a crisp. Now, Canada has a few interesting ones as well:

CPT123205277_high.

Strange that I want to find someone in Canada to trade with???

16. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I tried the Chicken and Waffles chips. I thought they were disgusting! They had a weird aftertaste that made me gag. I tried a flavor of chip that was called Dill Pickles. Those were nasty too! I wonder what the bacon mac and cheese one tastes like.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Wow blueberry and hazelnut flavor does sound kind of horrible and I suppose they are mostly doing it for shock value or novelty and I suppose it works because I myself am kind of curious to taste that. I've gotten to taste one of their less shocking new flavors which is honey mustard and as much as I love the taste of honey mustard they just didn't seem to get it right for me and it tasted very subpar.

18. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Its crazy some of the flavors coming out, which of course they're doing to make their product stand out from the competition. I've never tasted these unique flavors, some of them sound good. Wonder if anyone else has tasted them and what did you think?

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tasted the Wasabi flavored chips and it was not tasty at all. In fact I want to gag when I ate it. I find it odd that some chips are sweet flavored, since it doesn't suit the potato flavor. I also prefer to eat chips in their usual flavors which is salty and tastes like cheese, barbeque, etc. and not coffee flavored.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The pictures didn't load for me before but now that I see them, I am really surprised at the boldness of these new flavors. Cappuccino and cinnamon buns are the farthest things in my mind when thinking about potato chip flavors, although I imagine cinnamon could actually work. I'm especially curious about the mango salsa and it really makes me wish the offerings here had more variety like these, but unfortunately most we get is only basic.