Are Chromebooks worth it?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by bmarks • Jul 9, 2014.

1. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    My current laptop is clearly reaching the end of its lifespan, and I am in the market for a new computer. My research brought me to Chromebooks. The idea intrigued me seeing as I already have a Google account, most of my files are already in the cloud, and the idea of a quick startup really appeals to me, but I don't want to sacrifice too much power. So, are Chromebooks worth it?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you get the Chromebooks running the non-Bay Trail Intel processors, then you'll have a decent amount of power. Chromebooks sound like a match for you, and a Core i3 version of the Acer C720 was just released for around $350. You'll find that computer pretty impressive, although battery life might fall under 7 hours for some users. I'd say the Chromebook is worth it, as long as you know what the computer can and can't do before purchasing it.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am also considering buying a Chromebook. I was looking at a few models in an office supply store. I looked at Toshiba, Samsung and HP Chromebooks. The Toshiba definitely felt too cheap. I can see having problems with the touch pad in a few months. The Samsung was closer to a netbook. The best one was the HP 14 inch which is shocking because I hate HP computers. They have just given me some many problems.

My favorite brand is Lenovo and its Chromebooks are going to be more expensive that the average Chromebook. But they will have the famed Lenovo durability. Asus Chromebooks are reported to be good, but I need to see and touch one before I buy. I am planning to buy one within the next 30 days. I just need a cheap computer to last me until the end of the year. I do most of my work in the cloud too. When I'm done, I can pass it along to my niece.

4. troutski

Threads:
    I like Asus computers and laptops. I'd say go for the Asus C300, which just came out. It sports 9 to 10 hours of battery life, and reviews have pointed out that the keyboard and track pad are decent at worst. The Bay Trail processors from Intel offer better battery life, although the Acer Chromebooks have an Intel processor with slightly more power. You could go for the Asus C200 for 11 to 12 hours of battery life and an 11 inch screen. The C300 has an almost 14 inch scree, though.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have heard good things about Asus computers. I did some research on their Chromebooks. They do have great reviews. Long battery life is a good thing, but I'm take durability and feel (how the keyword feels) over long battery life. I still would have to see one in person before deciding to buy one.

6. troutski

Threads:
    Makes perfect sense. We all have our preferences. :] I have heard good things about the trackpad on the Asus C200 and C300 specifically. The keyboard hasn't received negative reviews as far as I know. They've been solid, but not as praising as the trackpad reviews. I don't know where you'd be able to get one hands-on because they're available through online retailers only at the moment as far as I know. :/

7. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I actually think they are totally worth it right now. I'm looking forward too buying one as soon as I rack up around 300€ for one. If you don't want to play games or do video editing on your chromebook you will be fine and most likely won't miss windows at all. I'm gonna use mine for college work because google docs is really useful for me, because I don't really want to carry my 17'' laptop to college everyday, but I'm most likely gonna be doing my work at home on the bigger laptop, just because the screen is bigger.

8. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on what you're planning on doing honestly. You need to think about what you do with your laptop already, and what you intend to do with a Chromebook. If it's anything more strenuous than browsing and such...well, it's called a Chromebook for a reason, so don't expect to be doing anything too heavy with it.

9. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    I will never purchase a cloud based computer. We tried that approach in the 1960's when computing was first being developed and people did not like the lack of control over their data then, nor do they really like it now.

10. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really think you'll be able to choose to not buy one in the future. Almost everything points to cloud computing and cloud based storage systems. I think in around 20 years, there won't be many computers with internal hard drives left. Maybe some people want to store something secret on a hard drive and not in the cloud, but that's gonna happen with external hard drives most likely.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think they are worth it as long as you are willing to accept that you will only get to use it when you have internet connection and also as far as I know you'd be limited to using only the software that Google provides. I think it's okay though since they probably have substitutes for all major software you'd need. As far as power goes, I'm fairly sure they are powerful enough for major tasks, since it's pretty much the standard for all new laptops nowadays anyway.