Would You Complain If You Got Bad Customer Service?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Sam Tarly • Jul 10, 2014.

1. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I have worked in retail for a long time now and I have noticed at times customers get a bit frustrated when they think that they are not being looked after, and I was wondering if this ever happened to any of you? And if it did, would you complain about it or just ignore it and hope it doesn't happen again. Personally, I wouldn't complain, mostly because I think its time consuming and I understand that sometimes employees get overwhelmed and can't help being unhelpful, what do you guys think?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well since it really only bothers me when the company is a monopoly, it does no good to complain. I've even tried with Comcast and the higher up got nasty with me before I even began my sentence.
    It doesn't justify their actions at all but why would they do anything about it when they've got your money anyway?

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd maybe complain but only in terms of hoping that they somehow change their system or learn how to more properly train their employees, but I rarely would complain about just any particular employee since I don't consider it their fault because it was the company's decision to hire them and it's their responsibility to train them properly. Conversely, I also try and make it known when the customer service of any particular company is exceptionally good, so I think it's only fair that I let them know when it's bad as well.

4. IrishLad

IrishLadNew Member

Threads:
    I've only had positive experiences so far with customer services so I've never had to consider this. I suppose I would, as long as it is not too time consuming and complicated to navigate customer services and complain about the worker. I would only do it if the worker was rude, or purposely unhelpful, not if he just wasn't allowed to give me a refund or something.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't make any complaints these days. It's not worth the effort. In the past I did write emails and dropped complaints in the complaints and suggestion box and never saw the issues I raised addressed I realized that save for making a scene [and making yourself look foolish in front of a crowd] you won't see any improvements in customers service if the store/company doesn't excel at treating their customers right.

6. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the situation. One time I did complain a few years ago when I went to a store to pick up an item. The clerks at the desk were huddle amongst themselves, talking as if I didn't exist at the counter. I said, "Excuse me, can someone help me," a few times and they blatantly ignore me. That's when I called across the room for the manager, who directed me to them in the first place. The manager came over and lest just say I had a mini fit. Suddenly the clerks wanted to help and I refuse any of their service. Anyway, the manager went in the back to retrieve the item I was there to pick up and one of the clerks tried to assist me. I told her to leave me alone and the situation was resolved. This incident is the only time I can recall with customer service being so bad to the point where I did complain.

7. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I think that I would only complain if the sales rep. was rude to me. I have worked in retail often over the years, and I would never be rude to a customer, no matter how busy I was. There is no excuse for rudeness, that sales rep. is in the wrong business!:mad: Other than that , no I wouldn't complain.

8. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Usually I will not complain about bad customer service. I understand that their jobs may be difficult because they have to be proficient at multi-tasking. I also understand that they have to deal with unpleasant people. So I am going to assume they are having a bad day. However, if I have to use them more than one and there is still major attitude I will complain. Because more than 1-2 times is not acceptable especially when I have a problem that they are not fixing when I spend my money on whatever it is.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty understanding to the extent that many of the store associates are often underpaid and overworked, plus they have to deal with the public on top of it all. I don't expect them to kiss my behind and worship the ground I walk on, but there have been a few extreme instances where I felt the need to complain about some of them.

One time in particular that sticks out in my mind was when my coworker and I stopped into Circuit City to buy several computers. A bunch of computers in our office got fried during a storm, and they were all old to begin with, so we were going to replace everything - tower, mouse, keyboards, flat screen monitors, and new battery backups and surge protectors. We also needed to buy a couple of heavy duty color laser printers as well. Long story short, we were planning on spending easily several thousand dollars there that day.

We started talking to an associate in their computer section, asking him some questions about a couple systems we were considering, when all of a sudden this lady just walks right up to us all and acts as if we don't exist, and starts asking the associate all kinds of questions. On top of that, she motions for him to follow her over to another section, and he just ditches us and goes off with her! I was more angry with that obnoxious customer who though she was the shit or something, and it was beneath her to actually wait her turn. My coworker and I were really getting set to tell her off, but we decided to wait there for a while to see if the associate would ever come back, which he didn't. So finally we decided we had had it with the both of them, and went over to customer service and demanded to speak with a manager.

We explained to her what happened, and she offered to get us another associate, to which we told her no thanks. We also let her know how many sales they were missing out of as a result of this, and explained further that if their customer service is this bad, we don't want to do business there, and left.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever make direct complaints to the person involved or their immediate superiors if they are nearby. I find it a waste of time and energy to pursue long phone calls or even write reports. Bad customer service is not all that common here where I live, as jobs are scarce and people are highly dependent on their jobs. If I get the occasional rude attitude, I just walk out of the store and try elsewhere.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I won't complain at larger stores like Walmart or Target because I know such complaints will fall on deaf ears. However, I'll complain at small businesses if the problem is big enough. I've seen appropriate action taken after complaints at smaller locations run by a caring manager. It just depends, really. I won't complain for a small issue, but larger ones can't always be ignored.

12. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have complained a few times because I feel those people should not be able to give such a poor service to another person, like they did to me. At the same time, if I am in a hurry I will not do it because after all I also have my own life and sometimes I simply don't have those 15 or 30 minutes necessary to formally complain, considering I will get no personal benefit from it.

13. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually bother to complain for getting a bad customer service unless if it was really something I needed a help with and it was necessary to say something about it.

If the service is really bad then I prefer to go and waste my money somewhere better.

14. Spowys

SpowysMember

Threads:
    Usually nothing good comes from complaining, but sometimes it can pay off. A lot of places will replace things or offer you stuff for free if you complain. I have a friend who just calls Doritos and Pepsi and gets free products all the time because he says he isn't satisfied with his purchase.

15. Billynlex

BillynlexNew Member

Threads:
    I think it really depends on what level of "bad customer service" you received at a retailer or establishment. If it completely ruined my experience and resulted in me not feeling as though I received what I was entitled- sure. If it was something small and trivial, I don't think it's in the best interest for either party to follow up. There are more important things for a business to spend their time and resources on than ensuring "My ice is coming out large enough".

16. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I would complain if I received terrible treatment from customer service representative. I would make a separate call to complain to their supervisor. I would write an email. Lastly, I would write a formal letter on paper or stationary and then use the US Post office to mail it.
    I have been a CSR before. No matter how nasty or upsetting the customer was, I had to treat them with dignity and respect. I may say, "Madame/ Sir please do not use that type of language with me. I am trying to help you. Please do not verbally abuse me or I will have to terminate this conversation." If my supervisor tried to say I was in the wrong then I would speak to them privately and tell them that I was not there to be abused. I would tape that conversation. Then, is the supervisor continued to harass me I would have a free consultation with a Labor attorney.

17. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    If there was bad customer service at a particular location enough times I would just stop shopping there and probably not complain, but if it was something really out there enough for me to say something then I may get a hold of the manager and say something or complain online when they give you the option to give your opinion like on the recipes they give you.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really complain about bad customer service because it takes extra time, and I'd rather get out of the store and move on with my day than linger and wait to make a complaint.
    It's faster to just pay for my stuff and leave. I don't want to hang out any longer than necessary.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really complain if the thing that irks me is poor customer service, but if it already involves money like a defective product or wrong order, then I would definitely complain about it.

20. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I would complain only if it's something really really big. If it's just clearly someone having a bad day, then I usually don't worry about it. But if it's something big, then yes I would probably call and complain.

That, or leave them a really bad review on Yelp or something. Only if it gets really bad will I call upper management or something and give them a person's name.