Favorite late night snacks?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by bmarks • Jul 10, 2014.

1. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    Most of us can relate to this situation: it's midnight and your stomach is growling. What is your go-to snack for late night hunger? Also, for fun, what foods do you avoid before going to bed and why?

2. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    Well I actually skipped dinner because my husband was having spicy wings and chili cheese fries. I usually try to stay healthy, not to mention that kind of food rips my tummy apart.
    But of course I started to get hungry around 10, so I sliced up a wing and threw it in a salad w/ ranch. Still not the most healthy but it was delicious. I also ate a handful of M&Ms. Nothing healthy about that, it was pure indulgence (and bliss). Apart from that, if I do get really get hungry at night, then I'd generally go for celery sticks with peanut butter.

3. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    Almost every night I get the urge for something sweet! This is not good I know, but I love ice cream, and it loves my hips! I have tried to avoid it cause I'm excercising for wieght loss, but I still eat it from time to time! I need to replace ice cream with yogurt, but I don't eat low fat anything so it is almost just as bad.

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    My cravings change. But I am usually up until 5-6am so I think I can get away with a midnight snack. Usually it is salty or sweet. But instead of chips or candies I started substituting since I have started my diet. Not usually at satisfying but it curbs the hunger. I will eat an open face sandwich, a fiber one bar, or celery/carrots. Occasionally I'll eat a banana or an apple.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I opt to just stay home and not buy food at the convenience store near my place, then I would just eat oats. But if I'm that hungry, then it's either I will call the 24-hour fast food chain for delivery, or go to the convenience store near my place to buy some snacks and soda. And I don't avoid any kind of food even if I'm about to go to bed already, since I'm not dieting anyway.

#5Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to eat an apple with soy yogurt when those famous midnight hunger pangs assail me. Or sometimes I will eat a small piece of dark chocolate, which immediately gives me a sensation of fullness without being full. I would never eat anything heavy before going to sleep. One of the foods that I never eat late at night are bananas. Bananas after 8 pm give me nightmares without exception.

7. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    If I want to be healthy? A slice of wheat toast with peanut butter.

If I don't care about being healthy? Ice cream :p

It really depends on what I'm craving for though; but I try to drink some water or tea to see if I was just bored. If not THEN I will go grab some munchies :)

8. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I love Honey Nut Cheerios! I use to be a real junk food eater and go straight for Doritos, but I stopped doing this 4 years ago. Now, it's usually Cheerios or unsalted nuts. Before I go to bed, I don't eat anything that is heavy on my stomach for health reasons. I want to maintain my weight and stay on a healthy diet. So, I avoid any type of meat or fattening foods before I go to bed.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Late at night I rarely eat... I'll usually have dinner and that is my last meal. The only times I make an exception is when I'm really craving carbs or sweets. I will usually have some chocolate or bread in this situations.

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Probably anything potato based like chips. Recently though however I've been having a lot more nuts at night, which is certainly better for my health anyway. I sometimes have a pasty too, but that can sit quite heavy on your stomach at night.

11. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I only normally do this after a night out on the booze and then it is a quick stop to the local takeaway shop for a big greasy chicken burger and chips to munch in front of the TV before crawling into bed. :)

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My pick would be a bowl of good instant ramen. The top brands often have real meat pieces in it so it tastes authentic or at least as authentic as you could get with instant ramen. Also, it's very easy to prepare and the cooking time finishes very quickly so I don't have to wait too long to eat. As for food I avoid, I just avoid eating full meal portions because I'll end up not being able to sleep early due to waiting to digest the food.

13. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what I had for dinner, if any. If I didn't have dinner maybe I make a sandwich or have some cereals, if I did have dinner I just maybe go for something sweet like chocolate, cookies, icre-cream or something similar. Usually this is a rare exception though because at midnight I am asleep. :)

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite late night food is potato chips or leftover pizza. I don't eat late at night for health. I'm usually watching a movie or something if I'm up at that hour, so I eat snack foods.

15. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big late night snacker, but if I am up at time and want something to munch on, I will usually go for salty snacks like chips or popcorn. I never get cravings for sweets late at night.

16. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I am not much of a late night snacker...maybe because I eat a lot during the day. If I do get the urge for a late night snack it is always something savory and/or salty. I am not much of a sweets person in general but definitely not at night. I usually will make popcorn, but if I have doritos I will also indulge in those.

17. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    It depends a bit on whether I'm hungry or if I'm REALLY hungry :)
    I might just eat a donut or some cereal if it's just to appease my stomach before bed, but if my stomach is really growling then I'll whip up some toast or heartier sandwich.
    I regularly eat something before bed so I stock up on this kind of stuff when I'm out shopping.

18. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Unless I've been drinking I try not to eat anything after a certain time and certainly not before going to bed. However, if I've been drinking I get a craving for burgers. No idea why. It's not my go-to food when I don't drink. I barely ever eat them. The drinking version of myself loves a huge ingredients laden burger.

19. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    This when I go off the reservation:
    I really like those Greek stracciatella yogurts... Some salty peanuts are also great.

This when it's time to keep it on healthy side:
    Boiled egg, piece of fruit, tea, and some whole toast with a little jam on it.

20. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Count me in for ice cream. I drink goat's milk with it which is overkill on the lactose. It will make my stomach mad with the GERD but I don't really eat much of the ice cream and it's so tasty. If I was going to avoid the milk or ice cream just because I'm going to worry about whether it will upset the reflux then I might as well become an anorexic because they say acid is in everything.