Taking time off

Discussion in Travel started by Peninha • Jul 10, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think we need to take some time off from work, our body and our mind need that. This next weekend I am going to spend it away from home, just with the wife and kids, to relax and forget about everything. We can't do this often, but even if we do it once or twice per year it's always refreshing. Do you take this time to yourself and the family or you prefer to save if all for the big holidays?

2. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I take a couple hours for myself every week to go get a coffee or my nails done. Just something to get away from my toddler. :) It can get exhausting be a SAHM especially during the rough weeks so sometimes those few hours to myself are golden.

My husband and I can't really afford to take regular vacations although we are planning a getaway in September for our anniversary! I am very excited! Other than that, we try to have date nights once a month while grandma watches our son. Its not much but its always a good time to recharge and reset.

I firmly believe that time away (whether its family vacations, mommy time, or date night) is important to the family life and especially to a marriage.

3. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I hardly take they call it is because I think I'm a workaholic. At a certain point in time when I'm on a holiday I feel as though I'm wasting my time and I should get back to work. So what really happens to me is that once my holiday is done, I go back to work nonstop and then when I'm fully used up and all my energy is finished that is when I consider a holiday. And when I do take a holiday it's usually short and sweet. One thing I do love about holidays is that they refresh your mind and you usually come back with new ideas and new take on life. As well as you appreciate the good things.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I give myself one hour every day just to rest, recuperate and regain my energy. I have more than one job and need to work long hours every day. For me the worst is the mental fatigue that I experience towards the evening. That's when I lie down for a while, have a bath or go to the park to sit on a bench and listen to the birds. My family understands that I need this special hour for myself and they tend to leave me alone... most of the time. :)

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, that is another important thing to be done, I mean, taking a few hours to ourselves, with no wife, husband or kids, and have our own hobby and friends, even if it's just for 5 or 6 hours per week, I say we need it for our mental sanity. Like you say, that will make a better marriage, we need to get out of the bubble sometimes.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take some time off from work once in a year. It would vacation time if I was younger but ever since I moved into the country I don't get to see my old 'buddies' and other relatives so every once in a year after the harvest [and the land lies fallow waiting for the next planting season], I take the time off to visit those people who once were a part of my life.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Of course we need some time off. If I had to do my job everyday and not get some time for myself I would surely go on a rampage in the office. But when I'm working and I want to take a break, I usually go to the bathroom and pretend to poop for an hour that way I can get some peace and quit and probably snooze off a bit and refresh my brain (refreshing your brain is crucial specially when you're working in a creativity dependent company). But most of the time when I get a day off, I just turn off my phone and everything and just sleep and relax.

8. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    My husband and I are definitely guilty of living in a newlywed bubble. Then, when we had our son it turned into "our own little family" bubble. After awhile, we were snapping at each other and just couldn't figure out why. I believe it was the next day that I took myself to the book store to relax and have a coffee. I felt so much better afterward and my husband was visibly relaxed again. When you feel comfortable as spouses, its a lot easier to feel comfortable as parents. Its amazing what attitudes and tones a child can pick up on, even at a young age!

9. Lenna

LennaNew Member

Threads:
    Congrats on finally taking some time off! :)

I try to take an hour or so every night to just sit and relax before bed, where I won't allow myself to study or work or anything. I'll just sit and watch a show, or read some comics while talking to my friends. It's essential that you do this or you'd go stark raving mad

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks, it was great! :) Kids are exhausting as ever, but I have to say that the swimming pool, the beach and the fact that we didn't had to cook helps a lot. :) It was just one night (two days), but even so it was refreshing. The main problem is that we return more tired than what we left because we want to enjoy the time at the most.

11. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    If you want to take time off then i suggest to you that go to the tour of US with the family kids in this way you fell much relax during the tour and you fell much comfortable..

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah Kasi, that is a nice suggestion, the issue is that I am in Europe so going to the US with the family would be mega expensive. I hope one day I can afford a trip for the family to Miami or Hawaii, those locations seem pretty neat to me. :) Have you ever been there? Mega expensive no?