What's your favorite board game?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Tapel • Jul 12, 2014.

1. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    These days, board games are a thing of the past. But, we all went through this and we all loved it at one point of our lives. I personally love playing chess. Until now, I still pay chess and I'm teaching my sons how to play chess too!

What's your favorite board game?

2. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I love playing them as a kid but there was one that I did enjoy and that was Candyland. One of my worst board games was Checkers, I could never understand that game until I got older and now I love it.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I loved checkers when I was younger but got to like it even more as I grew older. I tried teaching one of my nieces how to play the game but she was so bored by it that I gave up in disgust. Seems to me that in future those good old board games will be entirely forgotten by the kids who are growing up now.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like you, I really enjoy playing chess. One of my cousins taught me how to play it when I was about ten years old. I was fascinated by it ever since. I actually have a friend who visits me twice a months only for the purpose of playing chess with me. He is an older man who enjoys letting me win whenever he can, but I am actually beginning to really beat him now. :)

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Oh that is so hard because they have so many new board games, not to mention you have the classics you played as a child. Can I pick two? I think I'm going to pick two. :) So my first is Hero Quest. You know the game before Dungeons and Dragons. You did a little roleplaying as you went across the board to defeat enemies and get treasures. It was fun. A new recent favorite is Arkham Horror. It is a game that you need other players with and you have to work together to stop monster, go through portals, shut them down, before the old gods awake. It is based on H.P. Lovecraft stories. A very fun game and a very long game.

6. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    I always liked to play India (Parcheesi) & Keyword, which was a whole lot better than Scrabble, but maybe it rec'd less marketing backup. I learned Backgammon as an adult & liked that pretty well, too.

We also liked a couple of games like Flinch & Touring that seemed like board games because they were boxed games, but were really card games that required their own special decks of cards. Touring just seemed like a whole lot of fun without so much intensive thinking required.

7. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I still play board games, but I only do so with a big group of people. We also throw in a good game of Cards Against Humanity (the card game) during the night.

My favorite board game as a child was ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK?. That game was played to the bone, and I ran out of paper so quickly. I would play that for days. Another game I played was the Pokemon Master board game. For a traditional genre, my favorites were and still are LIFE and Chess. I still play Chess on my smartphone when I'm waiting for something or need to relax from the day. I love it.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I use to really be into board games as a kid but now that I'm grown for some reason I am SOOOO not into them. Kind of wish I was because would be fun to entertain at home with a board game party. I use to like battle ship, clue, scrabble.

Oh yeah, I use to like the board game life! Forgot about that one... I've never heard of are you afraid of the dark? Wonder if they're still making it. How did the game go?

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite is Scattergories though no one really likes playing it as much as I do. I don't like the Categories edition though. Something about it makes it not that fun.

10. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    For me it's scrabble, I enjoy word games in general and scrabble is a great way to exercise those thinking muscles. Plus, scrabble is great for playing with the family, the only issue I have with it is sometimes you have players with different levels of expertise and it makes the playing ground a little uneven. But besides that, scrabble is my favorite game to play, i own two boards and both are pretty beaten up.

11. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    My favourite board game is definitely Settlers of Catan, there is not a single board game that comes even close to the playtime I had with Settlers. There's even an online version, but I still prefer the board game, because I love trading and it's easier to negotiate with friends I'm playing with than with some strangers over the internet. If you haven't played it yet, you definitely have to try it out!

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard a lot of great things about this game and I've actually been meaning to try it out...
    How many people is the minimum to play and enjoy it? And how long is an average play session?

13. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend's sister and brother-in-law LOVES board games so we always play a ton of them whenever we are over. My current favorite though is this one called Pandemic. It's basically where everyone works together as a team to save the world from outbreaks of diseases and stuff. It's pretty awesome!

14. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite board game is Scrabble. I love words and playing around with them. Also, I grew up mostly playing word games. So, Scrabble is a natural draw. These days, however, I play mainly online.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Before the internet became popular, I also played board games and card games. I used to play Snakes And Ladders, MAD and UNO cards. I also played chess, but I didn't really enjoy playing it. Now I don't think I would bother playing with board games, they are quite ancient and not that entertaining anymore for me.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Monopoly has always been my favorite board game and it remains that way until today. I even still play it on my touch screen devices, but the experience really doesn't compare to when I was younger and had much more time and a lot less options in terms of distraction. I have to admit that playing digitally is a lot less messier, though, and there's no need for clean-ups afterwards nor do I have to worry about certain pieces going missing. That said, I still prefer playing on a physical board as much as possible, if only it were less of a hassle.

17. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    Some of the games they are playing now on smartphones, tablets, and computers are magnitudes more complicated than the board games we played as children. As an example I will cite World of Warcraft. Keeping track of anywhere from 10-50 keys that all have different effects while roaming through a huge sandbox world is immensely more complex than just about any board game ever made other than something like Chess or Go, neither of which are very popular with the young crowd.

18. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    I like games that challenge the mind, not ones where luck determines things but skill, intellect and strategy. That's why I enjoy Scrabble, Risk and Trivial Pursuit. I want to learn some D&D but, unfortunately, I have neither the instructor nor the time. I'll have even less time when I go back to school (Culinary Arts).