Do you ever regift?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Livvy • Jul 13, 2014.

1. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    So, do you do it? By which I mean, do you hang onto a present from someone which you don't really like all that much, in order to give it as a gift to someone else later on? If so, what do you usually do this with, and how does it go down when you do it?

I know that in my family there was this one gift set of really dodgy men's toiletries that got passed around for years any birthday/Chrismas. We weren't even ashamed about it, and it just became a huge joke that someone had originally bought this decidedly awful present, and no one wanted to use it.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Perhaps I am sentimental, but I always regard a present as something special. Even if I don't like it very much or have no use for it, I tend to hang on to it to remember the occasion. But I have to say that it doesn't really happen too often that people give me things that I don't like.
    Perhaps I am fond of the gifts because I really appreciate the people who give them to me, and their good intentions. :)

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Should someone get me a gift I don't like or something that I might not use then the best thing to do on such occasions is wrap the gift up nicely and wait for the right time to give it to someone else who'll be happy to get it.

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I have never regifted. Even if I don't like I try to be polite and find a use for it. If I can't I usually donate it to a charity for the needy. I think if someone else could use it then they can have it. I'd honestly rather buy a gift for someone than regift, though it would save me money if I didn't. I want to get someone something super special that I know they will love. Lots of thought and effort go into my gifts.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I sure do.

I don't do it often, but to be perfectly honest, there are only so many bath sets that I can receive and keep. :p So I sometimes re-gift them when I don't know what to get someone else, too. It's an easy gift and no one's feelings get hurt if I re-gift and item like that.

6. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Ha Ha Ha!
    Once, I regifted to another person at WORK. I re-wrapped it and gave it to the lady who helped wrap all of the XMas presents. I was so embarrassed.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I have done that and I'm not ashamed to say that I think regifting is much better than letting the unwanted gift just gather dust in your room. Like what they say, one man's trash is another person's treasure, so I think regifting is pretty much ok as long as the person that gave you the gift will never know about it.

8. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I'm not one to regift. If I don't end up using the gift, I give donate it to the local thrift stores or Salvation Army. I just wouldn't feel right giving the gift to someone else. :/

I think if you have an inside joke gift, though, that's really cool! It sounds hilarious. :)

9. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Oh you fool! If you're going to re-gift, always ensure it's with someone who could not have in any way heard of you getting the gift in the first place! That's a rookie mistake right there!

10. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I don't hold onto a gift with the intention of giving it away, but I tend to hold onto gifts regardless of whether I like them or not, a lot of times out of sentiment, but plenty of times out of guilt. And while I'm not holding onto something to regift it, if the opportunity arises where I need a gift and I just happen to have something lying around that might make a good gift, why not? Otherwise it's just going to gather dust.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do re-gift, but only mostly for gifts that I know are more like giveaways rather than actual gifts that had a lot of thought put into them. I'd most likely never re-gift an item if I knew it was especially bought for me, but when Christmas comes around and we get too many food gifts, I find that it's only practical to give some away instead of just keeping them and possibly forgetting about them and getting spoiled or old. I also give some shirts or clothing items to other friends or relatives or even charity if I really don't like it, because I know I'd never use it and someone else might as well get some use out of it if it's not going to be me.

12. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had the heart to do such a thing. That would bother my conscious knowing that someone gave me something & I was so ungrateful I would stoop to level of giving it away as another gift. The other factor is that the re-gift is not even genuine. If you don't like something, why give it to someone else as if you would have bought it by choice. That's just lowdown.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only regift if I know that person would like the item, otherwise it goes to the charity store. If you are going to regift make sure the parties concerned don't know each each other and find out where you could buy it from, in case some one asks.

I tried to regift something, only to find out the candlesticks, my ex sister-in-law gave us were on sale and she had bought most people the same gift.

14. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    We never encourage re-gifting, but when we feel like we need to I notice that we often do. Clothing and fashion apparels are the usual things we re-gift. Things that require sizing and fittings. I don't remember when we started re-gifting, but I am pretty sure that we don't give birthday re-gifts. Casual giveaways are fun for friends and family members, but for birthdays and special occasions like weddings, usually we would get something new as gifts. Except for the elders, they would sometimes give us things that are impossible to re-gift, like foodstuffs, jewelry, engraved pens, and personal things. But when it comes to gift giving at work, like for an office party or an office gathering where it is more convenient, if we would re-gift if we ran out of idea and just the time to look for creative gifts.