Buying used books

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Gelsemium • Jul 15, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Books usually are read just once by each person and than they just sit in the shelve for the rest of their "life". Have you considered buying used books or have you considered selling your books? I've bought used books and they are as good as new and I'd sell mine too because I don't plan on reading them again.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a collector of books, and re-read them from time to time. I particularly like books on psychology and philosophy. They are timeless, and I tend to refer to them often. I also have a big selection of encyclopaedias and dictionaries that I never want to resell. As for novels and biographies, I have somewhat lost interest in them a while ago. I still read them, but usually I borrow them from friends or the library.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes re-read the books I own, so I never sell them after I read them, but I do buy used books when I can get them for cheaper than a new copy.
    It one of those items that I have absolutely no problem getting a pre-owned version, as long as the previous owner wasn't an underliner or a doodler :)
    There are so many places where you can get used books online for cheap that it's the cheaper and more convenient option anyway.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't read much these days but long before I could obtain most books I'd want to read on the net, free, I used to buy used books. I used to like fiction then so much as I could read a book twice or thrice if it was really good, I could never read it again so once I was done reading the books I'd either exchange them for other [books] because I had a number of friends who also liked reading.

For anyone seeking books though, I'd recommend buying used ones because they are cheaper.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Buying used is the best option no doubt. I mean, if you know someone that can lend you the book, even better, but asking for a book is something a little personal, a lot of books get lost that way so unless you have some level of intimacy with that person, it's something I would not ask. Used books on the other hand are a sure winner. ;)

6. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I both buy and sell used books on a regular basis. I would always suggest buying a used book if it is something that you are just consuming for content (which is most of what I buy books for).

Selling used books is difficult, there is a lot of competition, and generally, most of the popular books are not worth very much, and might end up costing you money to sell.

7. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I collect the Warhammer Horus Heresy novels and science related field books but that's about it really. I've tried selling some of my collection but its very difficult not losing out on money due to massive undercutting on sites like ebay.

8. misterv520

misterv520New Member

Threads:
    I'm a student and used books are a great way to cut down on textbook costs. I always buy it used if I can. I don't really sell my books as I like to add it to my home library in case I need to reference it in the future. You can tell a lot from a person's library (or lack of one).

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's true. I once gave away a collection of Chinese books that I had because I thought I would not give them any more use and I now regret it because even if I don't need them I could have borrowed them or sold them to someone who did. Pretty much like you say misterv, the books we have tell a lot about us and we never know when we can be using those books again.

10. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I buy used books 90% of the time when looking for something new to read. Amazon is my first source to go to since I can find most [of what I'm looking for] at a really low price. I once bought a couple of comic books that were originally $10 for only $1 a piece! They were also in really good condition, so it was as you said - they were read once and then given away. I think that's a great deal, especially since I'm probably going to read it once and be done with it, too.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, used books are super cheap and some of them come as good as new. I think that these days people go a lot more for what is immediate and convenient, so they just buy in the local store or download the e-book, but if we wait a few days for the online bought used book we won't regret it and we will save half the price or more. It's just a matter of how much you can pay.

12. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy used books. My library has a small store where they sell used books and the proceeds go towards improving the children's library. I always buy books there because I am helping a good cause and getting books at great prices. After I read them, I usually donate them right back to the library unless I liked it enough to reread.

13. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    I love the selection that Amazon has but the shipping sometimes turns me away. I ran a used book and media mailing service for a couple years and I know what media shipping costs. Some of these sellers are raping the public with S&H charges.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought a couple of used books and magazines before, and because of the reason that you stated that people only read them once, I have stopped buying them and now I just opt to download ebooks. They're free and don't take up any space in the house, and once you're done reading them then it can just sit on your hard drive. The best thing about it is that you get to save money!

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Books are one of the things I'm comfortable with buying used, which is a very small list for me. I rarely give into buying second hand items even if they are significantly cheaper because I prefer to have the full experience of using something brand new as much as possible. With books, however, I don't mind it at all since all I really care about is the written words in them, and even if they are not in prime condition as long as the pages are complete and everything is still readable then I am willing to buy them for a way cheaper price than the original.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Pretty much how I think too Ripley and sidney and on top of what you say books come as good as new. I live in a relatively small flat, so even if I am not a big reader, 2 or 3 books per year do sum up and occupy a lot of space, so e-books are a valid option, but used book as well even if they take up more space, I find them more convenient to read than the digital format that hurts the eyes.