Do you do your own nails?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by isabbbela • Jul 16, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hello girls!

Back when I was younger and my family was wealthier, my mom and I had a habit of doing our nails at a nail salon almost every week. We had the money, and lived in a small city so doing your nails professionally wasn't that expensive back then...

Well, it's been several years now that my family lost 90% of what we had, so it's been several years since I had my nails done at a salon. I actually think it might have been around 5 or 6 years since that! I have always enjoyed doing my own nails, so when we had to get a more modest life, I struggled with several aspects, but definitely going to a salon, doing my hair, doing my nails, having treatments done... none of those were that important to me that I couldn't do them at home! So now I'm an expert in always doing my nails at home, both toe nails and finger nails! I love getting them polished and pretty, and although I struggle a bit with nail polish because I'm allergic, I have a decent amount of hypoallergenic nail polishes I can use!

I was just doing my nails today, and they look good. But several of my friends will go to a salon to get them done still every single week! And mind you these girls are not that wealthy that they can do their nails at a salon every week... that gets really expensive! So when I asked one of them why she pays so much when she could do them at home, she said she couldn't do them herself if her life depended on it! It's interesting because to me it's pretty easy to do them myself and make them look good... sure, they don't look as good as in the salon! But they do the job! However I wonder if getting them decent at home wouldn't be a matter of trying and practicing at home!

So you do your own nails?

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I only do my nails myself, I went to a nail salon twice to have my nails done and it was really more for the social aspect of it. I cannot justify spending money on manicures and pedicures when I can do it myself. I have a large nail polish collection and bought all of the tools nail salons have. My nails do not look perfect but they look pretty darn close to as good as they would if they were professionally done.

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    It just takes practice like anything else. I have always done my nails ever since I was a little girl. However, I have gotten my toes done twice. Once a few weeks ago as a girls day and the last one was three years ago and it was a birthday present. I do it as an occasional treat as you can see. But I don't really need too. I've had so much practice I can do just as good a job. Last time I did my nails I got asked where I got them done. The lady was shocked I did them myself because she said the same thing about not being able to do hers. It is nothing but years of practice. When I first did them as a child I did a horrible job. There was nail polish everywhere, haha. :)

4. thestoryteller1

thestoryteller1New Member

Threads:
    I do, since I was like ...11 years old.
    We were never able to afford that. However, it's a matter of the time vs. money thing. If you have no money- you have to do them at home or not at all. If you have no time it's worth doing them in saloon. If you have time but you are still going to saloon- well, it's everyone's own choice. But if you aren't wealthy, going them at home would certainly save you some money, which you can save for a vacation or something(if you have the habit of going to saloon weekly and you just stop, you for sure can save for vacation in time).
    It is a point of learning how to do it, it takes some practice to do it better. And of course, if you want to do it like in saloon, you have to do it completely as they would. May be buying that lamp that gets them hard faster, getting some oils other than the nailpolishes to keep your nails healthy, and so on. Just read on it. I think like anything else, it's a point of habit.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't do much on my nails. The only thing I do with them is when I cut them. Anything further than that, I don't do. But most of the girls I know sometime, or rather frequently do their own nails if they have time and that they are saving. There's not much comparison as I see it. It's just that the concern in time the only thing that;s being considered.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just simply cut my nails and I don't apply any nail polish on them, although when I was younger I also applied nail polish on my nails, but it's because I was influenced by my friends that time. Now since I'm not really inclined to painting my nails, I just let them be. Besides, my nails get chipped easily.

7. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I always do my nails myself. I really believe in doing as much as I can for myself, so I do my own manicures, pedicures and facials. I have a really nice nail polish collection, so I don't foresee running out of nail polish anytime soon. My biggest problem is deciding what color to wear next.

I've been thinking about doing some nail art, but I prefer to wear my nails short. There are not many nail art options for short nails.

8. maRei

maReiNew Member

Threads:
    I have been doing my nails since I was a kid. I learned from my mom who loves tidying up her nail polish all the time. We have always had our complete nail polishing set at home, so there's really no need to go to a salon. I only have my nails done outside when I'm too busy and can't find the time. Though I love doing it on myself, I must admit that it's becoming really difficult as you grow older. It's painful on the back when you're doing a pedicure because you have to arch your back for prolonged periods of time.

9. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go to the salon to get my nails done. I am not good at polishing my own nails. When I do my nails myself they often look messy. I guess with more practice I would get better at doing doing them, but I don't have the patience. I recently learned about Jamberry nail wraps. These wraps are suppose to be easier than polishing your nails. Someone is sending me a sample to try. I can't wait to try them. Has anyone ever tried Jamberry nail wraps?

10. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do anything special with my nails. I just trim them and use nail polish. I don't keep them long. I think short nails are more practical. I've never had my nails done at a salon.

11. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I use to go to the nail salon every week to manicures and pedicures. Now I do my own nails. Not only do I save money every week, I am also able to get the quality and look that I want. I does take me a little longer to get a complete look but it is well worth it. I even do my friends nails from time to time to get paid some extra cash. If you are into designs, you can look up some tutorials online. I have gotten pretty good at this.

12. kaylahambrick

kaylahambrickMember

Threads:
    I go to the nail salon to get them done and acrylics put on, but then I just go every few weeks for a cheap fill in. If I want a color change, ill do it myself. I own just about every polish color there is. So usually, I just go to the nail salon solely to get the acrylics put on and filled in. I do the painting myself.

13. Nada noor

Nada noorNew Member

Threads:
    I do mine like every week, i have tons a nail polish lol and iv'e done it so much that i can actually so my own nails good now. If you cant do them by your self i wouldn't go out and have them done professionally every week but have a friend do them for you.

14. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to do my own as I can do a good job and I can relax at home rather than wait in the salon. It does take practice and also a good brush. I am lucky I have good nails, but if you don't and need them filed and cuticles removed then it maybe better to go to a salon to get them done first and then to maintain afterwards.

The trick is patience in between coats, in the salon it may be rushed, but if you leave 10 minutes between each, the application is easier and smoother.

15. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    I do my own nails. It's never easy to learn doing it by yourself. When I was in high school, I was too reckless and that I always experienced cuts. I really had a hard time understanding my cuticles and my nail clipper was just not sharp so I always tend to pull it. The result, it was painful. There were even times that my toes had swollen and there was nasty pus coming out of it. Good for me now that already I figured how to do my nails properly and I always make sure that the tools like the nail clipper is sharp enough.

16. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. Every two weeks or so, my mom and I go to the salon to get our nails done. I choose to go there over doing my own nails because it's more convenient. Plus, I am sure that my nails are really clean. I also can't use clippers properly. I usually end up cutting myself.

17. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried to do my own nails and it turned out to be a mess. I normally go to the salon but if I am low on money I have either my sister or cousin to do them. They are the creative ones in the family and they have steady hands.

18. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I do my own nails because I often don't have time to go to a salon. It also saves me money which is nice. I like going to a salon on the weekends occasionally for a little pampering but I don't make a habit out of it. My nails do look nicer when I get them professionally done but I'm probably the only one who notices the difference. As long as you use decent polish and take your time you can get a great manicure at home :)