All New Movies Suck

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Jul 16, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love movies and always try to watch and I'm always objective when it comes to criticizing movies. However one thing I've noticed is that most of the new movies I've watched [except for a few adaptations] are not as entertaining as movies made in the early 2000s and before. In fact if I have to make an unfair comparison, some TV shows are more entertaining than most of the movies they make these days.

Am I the only who feels that movies, like music, are getting worse with time?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I completely agree with you. That's why I haven't been taking out many new movies from the DVD library. I just figure it's a waste of money. Instead, I often go to a little cinema here that shows underground, cult and art movies every week. I can see all my favourite Polanski, Tykwer and Kubrick movies there for a couple of euros.
    These days I find a lot of the new films just to be rehashes of old, original ones.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also agree, I find it very hard to find a movie that I would really want to see and pay to see. The price to go to the movies is just way too high to not like the movie and the amount of time to sit thru the movie to long. I saw on Amazon a tv series that came out in 2008 that was good, it was a brain teaser, slow getting started but when it was over you could not believe what had happened even though you saw the movie.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    There are some good movies made recently. I have to respectfully disagree that movies made right now are basically crap. I enjoy dramatic films and I have found great selections to choose from. They are the diamonds in the rough. As for the action genres and all of that, I can take it or leave it. Never been a fan of these types of films.

5. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    Frankly, I am tired of this argument on the music, movies, TV, and just about everything fronts. When we look back on the past with rose-tinted glasses, we only remember the good stuff; the bad stuff tends to fade away unless truly scarring. Also, as you age, you're no longer the main demographic being appealed to, so you may have different tastes than that of a person in the target audience who may actually enjoy new movies and music and will, in the future, say that those movies are worse compared to their time.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I still like a few of the new movies today. For example, I thought 'The Lego Movie' had a great message and was unique. However, in the genre of comedy, most of the new ones to me stink. They are too juvenile.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't like some of the new trends, but I wouldn't call them worse than the previous generations' library. A lot of the older movies have started to seem less appealing to me as well since I've grown used to a faster pace with modern movies, so I'd say it's all about equal. Original ideas are getting harder and harder to come by, which I think is understandable given that we have tons more movies now than there ever was, but there are still gems now just as there were back then and just like then you just have to sift through all the crappy ones. The only trend I really dislike with movies nowadays is their lack of bright colors, and also maybe a bit too serious, but other than that I'd say they are pretty much still the same.

8. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    There is a new movie coming out that I'm interested in and I'm sure will be pretty good. Unfortunately for United States native me, it's all the way in Japan. :(
    It's based on an anime I enjoyed watching late at night as a young, slightly insomniac teenager or thenabouts, and it looks like it's going to be something of a(n) action/heist movie with a side plot or two wherein the main thieves aren't exactly the true villains nor are the policemen chasing them the bad guys which is really as can be expected of the show I've just gotten back into after so many years. Here's a trailer for it.

[video=youtube;sSayUiezauc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSayUiezauc[/video]

9. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    I totally disagree with this statement. I think that we had a couple dry years after the economic downturn but now that money is flowing again we are seeing some really creative ventures come to fruition. I am not fond of this sequel frenzy going on though. We need more new ideas in the industry.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Of course that's a matter of personal preference, I'm sure some people will prefer the kind of movies done nowadays.
    I think the decline in quality had to do with the amount of sequels that are done now, which leads to not many new ideas popping up and getting movies made, directors prefer to play it safe and do a "Hangover 2" just because the first one was a success...

11. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Before even generalizing about how movies suck these days, consider also your age and your experiences throughout the years. With the first 10 movies you've watched you were of course, fascinated. That is because you've never known of the plot or even seen that awesome effects. In short, what we've already seen, we dismiss as something familiar and will never tip the scale of our favor. But I have to agree that some of the TV series are quite epic than some of the movies these days.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not going to make the general statement that movies today suck. But I will say that I don't get excited about new movies the way I used to. It has been a long time since I said "I have to go see that!"
    I've become jaded because a lot of movies now are sequels or superhero movies ,or remakes of TV shows.

Yes, I'm old enough to remember 80's movies, but I'm not even saying 80's movies were better. I would just like to see a new movie that's as good as Kill Bill, or Hellboy, or Mirrormask, or Dogma.
    I guess I just lost interest in American movies after the early 2000s. I feel like Hollywood is just going to keep doing superhero movies and sequels from now on.

13. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that's completely true. There are great movies and bad movies, just like in every timeframe. The problem is you are looking through your nostalgia glasses. You only remember the good ones. In 10 years from now you'll remember some great movies from today and ask why every new movie is so shitty. People forget bad movies and remember good ones, that's just how it goes. There has never been something like a golden age for movies.

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, maybe it's because I don't like change but I'm not sure if that's the only reason because I open my mind to trying out the new ones and I just can't get excited about them. I think people are just running out of great ideas. It is true that we don't remember the bad movies from the past but I think overall it doesn't have the excitement that it used to be.

15. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    OMG... I totally agree. Movies used to be pretty decent in the theater and now most of them are an over priced waste of time with story plots that insult our intelligence. I'm so over going to the movies which is kind of a shame because it used to be one of my favorite things to do. People ARE seeming to run out of ideas, and it really shows.

16. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I still find films entertaining. It can be hard if you only look at the mainstream movies. I'm not into those that much. I have always gravitated towards independent films and these movies have become more prominent over the years due to their exquisite storytelling. Now as for music, ha! I cannot tell you what is the number 1 song in the country and the songs I do hear just turn me off. Nothing really captures my attention music wise. I stick with the early 2000s on back. Nothing in the present.

17. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well technologically they are far superior but ideas are hard to come by these days. So much has been done and redone. I wouldn't say all new movies suck. "The Blind Side" with Sandra Bullock was a very nice movie that I saw and of late I really enjoyed "Million Dollar Arm". I think remakes are pretty bad but I am looking forward to Star Wars Episode 7,8,9 in 2015 as Disney has agreed to buy the rights to it. I don't analyze movies like a critic. I just relax and enjoy them . But yes movies in the 90s and 2000-2003 were better in quality than current productions.

18. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I think since Quentin Tarantino came out more than 20 yrs ago, some people really try to hard to be different or abstract in telling their story. Though there were many before him to write and direct films that were in a class by themselves (John Waters comes to mind) but few had crossover appeal. Some films I've seen from newcomers are good but in other cases, that plot is gone and never to return.

I saw Let's Be Cops over the summer and expected another Wayans bros. movie. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. Now, Wolf of Wall Street was great and I'm not a Leo DiCaprio fan. I liked the James Brown biopic that came out last summer but I think it would have been better if it had been told chronologically instead of dizzying flashbacks.

19. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    It is true that most of the newly released movies are a total waste of time. I do not understand why they bother to even direct such movies. I think these movies should never be made and people should start thinking about making movies that are useful for the society.

20. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    One thing to never say in life, and I hope people read and learn this fact,"Do not ever write or say "all" when judging anything!" For example, has any of you seen all new movies that have come out?! Apparently, no. So to write that "all new movies suck" is a very bias and ignorant presumption or assumption, and is very self-defeating.

There have been a lot of good movies that have recently been shown in theaters like John Wick and Fury. How people judge a movie, is directly in accord to their attitudes and knowledge, which if you aren't aware of movie allusions, metaphors, symbolism, aesthetics, and the simple fact regarding the amount of energy and time dedicated to creating one single movie or film - try getting one person to act in front of a camera for a whole month, maybe then you'll understand and appreciate movies or films more.