Favorite OS?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by luigi • Jul 17, 2014.

1. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    What is your favorite OS (operating system)?

My favorite has always been Windows XP. I never ran into any trouble when using the OS, it was easy to navigate, and it just felt so comfortable to use. It's a shame there is no more support for the OS, but I can't blame the company... It is pretty old.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love XP too and though there's no more support for it I'm yet to ditch for another new OS. In fact, I think that while they still make software that can run on XP, I'll still use it. However should there be no new software developed that can run on the OS then I'll have no option but to reluctantly match forward and use whatever OS will be the most popular then.

3. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    By far Mac OS X. My current version is Mavericks and I have had no problems at all. I was a dedicated and loyal Windows user for years and really liked XP, but had a lot of positives when I switched over to Windows 7; with even that said, Mac OS blows them away.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite was always XP as well. I'm not sure why exactly. Maybe it's because it's the one I've used the longest so it would be the "old faithful". I do think though that perhaps it is the most user friendly. It was laidout in a way that just makes sense.
    However, as a pretty fast learner of technology I am ready to adapt completely to the new. If I ever get a new laptop, I'd be fine with it being 8.

5. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    I found Windows 7 had a lot more positives compared to Windows XP.

But XP by itself was quite a good OS.

Thanks

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I just figured out a downside to 8 that really bums me out. You can't play older games on it like you can with XP. Other than that 8 is still okay.

7. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried setting it up with compatibility mode? Or even installing DOS box or a VM and running your games through that?

Also look into GoG.com as they tend to update older games to be able to run on more modern platforms. They're usually very cheap as well!

8. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I actually liked Windows 7 and Windows XP the most, but I'm now stuck with a Windows 8 laptop and I don't really get why they put this stupid metro-menu in it. For me, it serves no purpose at all and I think it would only be useful for touchscreen devices. I'm not sure if Microsoft thinks touchscreen devices will become a lot more popular or they really think this menu is easy to navigate with a mouse, but I really hate that menu and I would instantly switch back to Windows 7 if I had the chance.

9. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    I love Windows 8. I've tried Windows 7 but Windows 8 is more suitable for me and what I do. I love plain colors and minimalistic design.

10. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    My vote goes to Ubuntu and its many flavors. In particular, due to its ease of use and being light on resources in low performance devices, I recommend Xubuntu.

The system is free, runs on most PCs without problems; for the most part you don't need driver disks at all, it's fairly stable and definitely more resistant to viruses than other proprietary systems.

5 stars from me!

If having to pick between Windows and Mac, I'd pick Windows, mostly because of its software compatibility.

#10Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  11. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    My favorites are Windows XP and Windows 7. I used windows XP for a very long time and I didn't upgrade to Windows Vista because no one that I knew liked it and it sounded like a nightmare. I bought a laptop about three years ago that runs Windows 7. It is the laptop that I currently use and I really like this OS. I haven't tried Windows 8.

12. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Considering the fact that computing devices today are either mobile or desktop PCs, I'm going to be giving my answer on both ends.

In the mobile arena, my best OS is Google's Android OS. I have many reasons for choosing this OS, but they all fall under these broad headings:

Open Source/Easy to program: As a developer, this gives android a very high score from my end. Android devices can be very easily programed using the wide variety of tools out there, one of which is Google's own App Inventor. This Open Source and easy to program nature of the OS brings a lot of goodies on the table, like plenty of Android Apps in the market, both freewares and sharewares.

Large Market Share: Android devices take-up about 46% of the entire ecosystem of Mobile OS; following Apple's iOS which has about 48% market share. Again, this introduces a lot goodies for the platform's users.

In the desktop realm, I must confess, I'm in love with Microsoft's Windows OS. Lots of apps, both free and paid. My love for Windows has even grown further, with the introduction of Windows 8. On the desktop - Windows all the way. In fact, I don't know what I do without Windows.:D

#12Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like using OSX for leisure such as browsing online or watching videos because I find the shortcuts and swipe gestures to be very convenient and very well thought out. For work, I much prefer using Windows OS, particularly, Windows Vista or Windows 7. I think it's mostly because I've grown much more used to the key configurations I terms of using them in conjunction with soft wares, but otherwise, for the regular consumer that doesn't need to mess with design or editing programs, I think OSX is the best.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I love Windows 7 and i think it's the best Windows operating system by far. I love how stable the OS itself is and the interface looks great. Based on experience, my windows 7 doesn't lag or crash so I'm so thankful for that. Although, i gotta say, Windows 8 has the best design and interface, i don't trust the OS, i feel like it would crash on you anytime. I don't know why. lol

15. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I still have XP SP3 on my desktop. I do not like the modern Windows OS versions nowadays because they are too complicated. Even though XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, I don't think that I will change my OS soon. It doesn't crash, and it runs fast. What more can I ask for from an OS?

16. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Windows 7. I love being able to play my games. I need my games to keep me occupied. There are not many functional OS out there now of days.

17. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Windows 7 has been my favorite OS ever since I first used it. It had the ease of use XP was always famous for and it did away with Vista's annoying things. I need to buy a new laptop and I wasn't too excited about that since most, if not all, come with Windows 8. Luckily I found a program called Classic Shell that gives Windows 8 the look and feel of 7.

18. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to love XP and constantly refused to try any of the newer operating systems. But then I had to install Win 7 to play some current gen games (Bioshock Infinite and XCom) and I never turned back. A lot of functionality that I use for work is handled way better on Win7 than on XP. And let's not forget that Win XP is not supported by Microsoft anymore, that alone lets users vulnerable to external attacks.

19. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a favorite OS to be honest, but I do have a least favorite one that is Windows Vista, is the most slowest and has a lot of bugs. Apart from it, I work fine with XP, 7 or even 8, they all seem pretty decent OS to me.

20. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I have very little experience with other operating systems apart from Windows. My laptop runs Windows 7 while the desktop has 8 installed. I like both. I have also used Linux in the past, but I keep going back to Windows simply because Linux doesn't run all the programs I use. Or I have to tweak some things before I can run the programs and I don't want to go through all that stuff.