Soup or dessert

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Jul 17, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just had lunch in a new restaurant where they have this "economic" menu. The menu included bread, dish, fruit/dessert or soup and coffee. It was a tricky choice, I wanted to go the healthier soup, but the desserts were looking just delicious and I went for that. :) Facing this choice what would you do, soup or dessert? :D

2. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    That seems like an odd choice to me. Usually the soup comes before the meal. I'd pick the dessert. If I have already eaten my meal, I don't want another dish of "real food." I'll have something light and sweet with a nice cup of coffee. It also depends on the soup if it is healthier. If it is a creamy soup, it probably isn't healthy. If it is really starchy with noodles, potatoes, or rice, it also probably isn't healthy.

3. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    That is a HARD choice haha. I will probably go for the soup though, but only if they have soup that I like. I really like soup but the only soup that I don't like is like a bean-heavy soup. If none of the soup appeals to me, I will definitely go with the dessert :)

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting, I have never seen a choice between soup and dessert. I do not have much of a sweet tooth, never have can easily turn down chocolate any day so I would choose the soup. If someone is torn between the two because they like them equally I think the best route would be to choose whichever is the more expensive item.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the dish is small enough, I'd go for the soup of course, I usually do that, but in that case the soup wasn't great. This is pretty common in menus around here. One of the restaurants decided to be creative though and instead of soup or dessert they are offering soup of coffee, like, what? How can anyone compare the cost of a soup or a cup of coffee?

6. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I've never seen a choice between soup and dessert either. I would much rather have soup or salad (or mozzarella sticks lol) at the beginning of the meal and a dessert after. This question is pretty much a no-brainer for me!

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I could do dessert but it depends on what kind of dessert is being offer to me. For an odd reason, I never like to have cake or ice cream for dessert. Ugh! I would opt for the dessert if it included fruit, vegetable, and some fat free cookies. The menu you described did sound delicious. I only go to soup when I am sick.

8. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's a pretty difficult choice if you ask me, but I think for me it would depend on what the main meal is.
    If it's something light I'd probably go for the soup to guarantee that I wouldn't be hungry afterwards, but if it's a big heavy food then it's probably better to have a nice dessert afterwards.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not like soup, in fact I always ignore that in any menu that I'm looking at, so I would just go for the dessert for sure! I'm always drawn to any kind of sweet food. Soups don't really appeal much to me.

10. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it does sound like a strange choice to make. And even though I love all kinds of soups, I would have to choose the dessert on this one. Since I don't usually get desserts when I go out to eat, it would feel like more of a treat to me, while soup is something more commonly offered with meals, and something I order more often as well.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a surprising statement sidney, what's there in soup not to like? It's just yummy vegetables, so not only they taste good as they are also healthy, way healthier than desserts at least. As far as the menu goes yes, I agree with what you say Strikstar, a lighter main course can ask for a soup, even so weird choice them make us do.

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it's a pretty weird choice to make, I think the most usual would be to either have none of those things included in the menu or to have them both.
    To have only one probably makes more people pay the extra for the other thing though, that might be the reasoning.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would depend on the type of soup and the dessert, if the dessert is chocolate I am goind for the dessert over the soup. I do like soup but not all soup is good.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why, dessert of course! What a question! I'm not the biggest fan of soups, I will only have them when it's really cold. But I am a total sweet tooth, I need to have a sweet every single day, otherwise if you like my days not complete. So I wouldn't even think about it, I would choose the desert.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd most likely go for soup because I kind of like how soup warms up my stomach prior to a good meal. Additionally, I'm not that much of a dessert fan anyway and I don't really have that much of a sweet tooth even though I do enjoy a good dessert every now and then, but I think I'd rather just have soup and probably could just satisfy my dessert cravings with a piece of candy if ever I did feel the need for something sweet.

16. maRei

maReiNew Member

Threads:
    I can't say, really. I guess it depends on what exactly is being offered and the serving size. I won't pick a bite-size dessert over a large bowl of soup, but neither would I pick a bitter soup over a really mouth-watering dessert. I don't have much of a sweet tooth and I rarely eat desserts, but I like tasting beautifully-plated desserts. I agree that it's weird to be asked to pick just one from the two. More is always better. :D

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, sometimes the soup is really scary maRei, you have a good point there and I go for the dessert, but most of the time I go for the soup because lunch is the main meal of my day so I want it to be as complete as possible and there is no comparison in nutritional value between a soup and a dessert.

18. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    This is a tough one, but if it were up to me, i would have to go with taste over health and say dessert. For health purposes, i would eat soup, but tasty is what I would prefer. I love buttery chocolate chip cookies. In addition, i also love some rainbow sherbert add well. My least favorite dessert is pie*

19. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I love the theme of this post. I would definitely have to say that I would have been in the same dilemma as you! I love both soup AND dessert, so I think I'd be annoying anyone else behind me in the line, when I'd gotten to the front, because I'd be quite indecisive, and scratching my head for a while, like it was a life-changing decision!
    I think my decision would boil down to how I was feeling on that day, or whether I was on a specific diet that doesn't allow desserts. I, personally, have a "sweet-tooth", and sometimes it's just really nice to get a little "sugar-boost" after a long, hard day of work, when my energy level desperately needs to be "topped up" so that I can function well, at least for the few remaining hours of the day.
    But, I also love soups--especially before having another meal, preferably dinner--and this is because, after I've had lunch, and several hours have passed after that last meal, a lot of gas tends to build up in my system, and it needs to be effectively dispelled before I take a bite of food, or it's going to catch up with me in the long run, and I'll probably have a "long run" in the bathroom, which will at least be unfortunate for my wife.
    I think that soup is, at the end of the day, the better choice, because it really warms and soothes the stomach and soothes the soul, and prepares you to enjoy a well-needed and well-deserved meal, but if you haven't had dessert for a while, and you really need a small "top-up", then there's no guilt in taking the dessert instead.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    What an odd mix...well I could list all the reasons why I find soup an odd post-meal choice, how it's not the proper way to wrap up a meal and all that but honestly I'd just prefer the dessert. ;) Life is short, why pick soup over dessert in such instances?