Almond milk

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Peninha • Jul 17, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually don't drink cow milk because it hurts my stomach, so I've been trying different milks and I tried yesterday almond milk (from Alpro) and it tastes amazing. The problem is that it's super expensive, nearly 3€ per liter, so I guess I will never drink it again. Anyone tried almond milk? What's your opinion about it?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Almond milk is great, but are you drinking the right kind? The kinds sold in grocery stores have tons of sugar in them and some shady ingredients. You may as well be buying soda. I would either make my own or find one with as few ingredients as possible. Look up how to make your own non dairy milks, it's not as hard as it looks and there are so many varieties you can make. Much healthier than grocery store "milks".

3. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I switched to almond milk a long time ago to help with my weight loss. I can only drink it with granola cereal. If I have it plain, I feel sick to my stomach. It's just too thick of milk for my liking. I switched back to cow's milk after I couldn't stand it anymore once I stopped eating boxed cereal. Have you tried soy milk at all? I'm not a fan of it, but I heard it's a good substitute for regular milk.

4. Spowys

SpowysMember

Threads:
    You have to make sure you're getting the right kind. I love almond milk but plenty of companies sell stuff as 'almond milk' that really isn't. Check the ingredients, because these companies usually adds lots of preservatives and dyes in addition to tons of sugar. At that point it isn't healthy for you anymore.

5. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried almond milk before, only the silk soy stuff. How much more nutritious is it for you versus soy milk and its various incarnations?

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Can you share a good article on this?

Is Almond Milk something that will go bad if I order it online?

As far as Soy is concerned, that's one of the most genetically modified food in the planet. Soy will never be the original earth grown vegetable. Just like corn.
    And you guys in the US have it much worse...

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, where I live almond milk is extremely expensive and I never buy it. But back when I lived in the US I bought it sometimes and it was pretty affordable. But I still prefer regular milk, to me no other type of milk beats the taste of it. Almond milk is too consistent in my opinion, so it's weird for someone who's used to regular cow milk. It's also sweet and obviously has the peculiar almond taste that not everyone like. I find it good to make shakes with, the consistency is just right.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm lactose intolerant. I have been for years. Almond milk is my favorite alternative. I prefer Blue Diamond almond milk. Silk isn't too bad either. Blue Diamond has a sugar free alternative. Still tastes great.

I have heard that homemade almond milk is delicious. I have yet to make my own yet. It's cheaper for me to buy the prepared stuff since almonds run about $6 per pound.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love almond milk as well, and it's a good break from regular milk for me. I see it more as a luxury drink, though. Not that I drink cow's milk all that regularly anyway, but I'd most likely just buy and drink almond milk sometimes when I really crave for it, especially since I don't think it works as well as cow's milk in terms of integration into recipes. Also, the taste of almond milk is a bit too rich for me to want regular intake. i'd more likely turn to soy milk first rather than almond if I were looking for a regular substitute.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I made a smoothie using Almond Milk, it was ok. Usually just add water to the smoothie but decided I would try the Almond Milk since it was in the refrig, not mine but I tried it anyway. I eat my cereal with yogurt, I haven't put milk on my cereal in years. I have heard that rice milk can be good for the sensitive stomach also.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's the expression I am using now too. I've been drinking it the whole week and I find the flavor somewhat sickening, I don't think I could drink it regularly, but a good alternative even so, I can alternate with juices so that I get a more balanced diet. The problem is that it's really expensive, so it's not the cheapest way to be healthy.

12. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    My girlfriend and I have been on and off various health kicks over the past month, and lately the new thing is healthy smoothies. Various recipes abound, and some of them are pretty darn tasty; however, I had begun noticing just how many of them bill almond milk as the greatest thing since sliced almonds. Almost judgemental, some of them were - "Are you still drinking cow's milk, you uneducated buffoon?" and so forth.

My research has supported what many posters in this thread have said, namely that buying almond milk really isn't doing your wallet or your body any favor. Check out this article from the Mother Jones website:

The overarching wisdom is that instead of buying store brand almond milk, or even attempting an almond milk homebrew, one should consider just eating a handful of almonds. Less effort, better payout. Plus, almonds are delicious ;-)

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha, that is true unstrung, almonds are delicious, the thing is I was looking for an alternative to cow milk that doesn't do me much good and I can't drink soy milk because I hate the flavor so I "discovered" almond milk, the thing is, it's too expensive.

So basically your article says that almond milk is water and almonds? :D

14. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We have tried almond milk and love it! There are only certain things you can use it for though which makes it hard. Drinking it by itself is amazing. My kids love it because it has a sweetness to it and they don't even ask for chocolate milk anymore. :) Using it in recipes is difficult. Even using it for cereal can totally change the taste. We buy both almond milk and regular milk in our house though for that reason.

I would suggest checking the stores you shop for sales. I know in our stores they go on sale for 2/$5 sometimes. They do have coupons usually which makes it much less expensive. Calling or emailing the company who makes it and asking for coupons is also a good bet. Companies are usually more than willing to send out coupons to keep you as a customer.

Hope this helps. :)

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely drink milk in general, but I have had several brands of almond milk, and really enjoyed them. I think personally out of all the cows milk substitutes, almond milk is probably my favorite. I avoid soy because I don't want too much of it in my diet, and start experiencing hormone imbalances. I love all kinds of nuts and already snack on them regularly, so the taste is fine to me. Although I do wish they would leave out the vanilla flavoring and the sweeteners - those are totally unnecessary, and they interfere with you being able to use the ingredient in savory recipes, like a "cream of ..." soup.

16. LSJ-8

LSJ-8New Member

Threads:
    I'm not a dairy person at all, but I like Almond milk, except for the price. I buy it for myself, but of course my three year old (who drinks a ton of milk) wants to have some too. I started purchasing almonds in bulk at Sam's Club (although I think you can purchase them at any warehouse store) and making my own. It is cheaper than the store bought almond milk and it is extremely easy to make.

17. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    It is a little expensive and so are the dried almond nuts though. I love almond milk and I usually have both unsweetened and sweetened. I use unsweetened for cooking and baking. I like to use the sweetened in my coffee and on cereal. You can also get vanilla flavoured almond milk which tastes amazing too.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I regularly drink almond milk, and also hazelnut milk. I also drink other varieties of milk made from spelt, quinoa and amaranth. I especially like quinoa mixed with cocoa. Another favourite of mine is vanilla flavoured, GMO free soy milk. When it comes to healthy food and drinks, I don't mind spending a little extra money

19. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I think that is the correct attitude. I've been thinking for a while in what I am eating and drinking and I am now feeling a new impulse to change my diet, I fear it will be something radical, but I think that is the way to go if we want to improve our health. These foods that all of us eat are not beneficial to our health at all.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I like it a lot better than regular milk...never really liked the taste so I never had much of it, but the almond milk and soy milk I can stomach a little better. I tried a brand from safeway, not their storebrand I can't recall the brand offhand, but it was good and wasn't really much more expensive than any of the other milk options they had. I guess it depends where you get it? Or if you're fixed on a certain brand.