Do you read DIY books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Dora M • Jul 17, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be such an avid reader of novels, both, fiction and non fiction, but then, for some reason, I suddenly lost interest and started focusing on thematic books. I really enjoy reading about new subjects that I am unfamiliar with, such as how certain machines work, or how to build things out of recycled materials.
    How about you? Do you ever read Diy books?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I read DIY books too like how to build your own pc from scratch and other topics that interest me. When I was younger I also used to love reading fiction books, but I guess I'm getting older as I lost interest in them as well, and I now read books that are related to my hobbies and interests. I think the added knowledge is beneficial as compared to just being entertained from reading fiction books.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, no. I don't read DIY books; I am more interested in reading fiction and non-fiction ones. However, when it comes to learning about new DIY projects, I prefer watching video tutorials about them. It helps me retain new information/knowledge much better.

4. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought any books on DIY projects. I used to read and collect just physical books, but now I'm starting to grow my e-book and kindle book collections. There are a few DIY books that are on my wish list:

1. The Big Book of Hacks: 264 Amazing DIY Tech Projects put together by Popular Science,
    2. The Art of Tinkering from the Exploratorium's Tinkering Studio,
    3. The Big Book of Maker Skills: Tools and Techniques for Building Great Tech Projects, and
    4. The Best of Instructables Volume 1: DIY Projects from the World's Biggest Show and Tell.

They don't call it just call it DIY anymore. I'm not sure if the digital copies of these DIY blueprints are enough for makers and DIY-ers. Maybe having the physical book is more of a help.

5. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    Do cookbooks count? I've read some cookbooks and followed the recipes in them, otherwise DIY projects don't really appeal to me, they just seem too intensive and time consuming. I like to read for entertainment so fiction and autobiographies do it for me.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm rubbish at DIY, and quite honestly, it doesn't hold much appeal to me! So no, I don't read DIY books; I leave all that to my husband because he enjoys it. I much prefer to read novels.

7. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I havent been able to but book quite as often but, although not exactly DIY books, I still have books I've bought before that were more of technique/craft books. A kids crafts book (I always said I'd be a mom), a paper craft book, and other technique books.

8. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I have read DIY books and all the tasks seem so simple as you read it, however it's a different story when you attempt any of these projects. A lot of times i have started a DIY project full of enthusiasm only for it to end in frustration. Nothing is ever as simple in reality.

I do think video tutorials are better for learning DIY and there are some very good ones on youtube, they are still a challenge for the less gifted of us however. With cooking though, it is easier to follow a book than a TV demonstration or video in my opinion.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't read DIY books. When I want to learn something new, I look around the net, read different articles and take notes. And when I can, I'll find relevant videos and learn a thing or two from them. I wouldn't mind reading a DIY book if I found a free one online.

Is there a place on the web where one can download free DIY books?

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will say that I do not read a lot of FIY books, although the only thing that I do currently read is fanfiction, which I suppose is a form of DIY book.

If a book has lots of components that I feel I'll enjoy, I will read it regardless of where the book was reared - DIY or by the best publisher known.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm more of a fiction person so I don't really go out of my way to read do-it-yourself books. How are these different from self-help books, anyway? I do have cookbooks at home that encourage readers to become homemakers even though they've never had a decent cooking experience before. If they count as DIY books, then I guess I may have read a few along with self-help books (e.g. Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Purpose Driven Life, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and the like).