Plastic Bottles

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Sam Tarly • Jul 18, 2014.

1. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    So recently there has been a lot of controversy about using plastic bottles with people telling us that plastic from this leaks into the water and enters out system. I use plastic bottles all the time, I find that they are convenient and easy to carry around. I have never had any problems with plastic bottles in time I have been using them, what do you guys think? Are plastic bottles really hazardous?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As I have learned, they are only dangerous if they have reached a certain temperature, so you must keep them at normal temperatures so that the chemicals won't seep in the water. Here's the link for more info:

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think they're "hazardous" the way that flourescent light-bulbs are ... over-use them, and there's a risk of 'contamination.'

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    As with everything that gets reported on FACEBOOK the story is only HALF TRUE. As someone else has already pointed out, it only becomes dangerous if the temperature of the bottles gets to a certain level. I hate Facebook more and more every day, people are so happy and willing to share the most ridiculous things that just are not true or have most of the facts missing.

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I 'hate Facebook' too, but for reasons I think I should cover in an original post (maybe tomorrow, as I think I've already posted my 'quotient' today ... Now I'm afraid the Web's 'spiders' will come and get me, like the agents who came & got Andrew Garfield for saying that he disliked one of pop-music queen Beyonce's songs :lol:)

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do not use plastic bottles if I can help it. I usually carry my water in a reused juice bottle that is made of thick glass. They are pretty sturdy and don't break easily. I do like that there is now a deposit on water bottles in my state as it nearly doubles the amount of refundable cans and bottles I find in the hotel recycle bins.

7. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with using plastic bottles. They are easy to carry around, don't have to worry about them breaking like glass and you can even squeeze them to get the contents out faster. I've been using them for years, keeping them at room temperature or freezing them depending on how I want my water or other beverage to drink. I wasn't aware that it could be hazardous depending on the temperature. Is that really true or just some popular superstition? Either way, I'll be continuing my use of them.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    You're not supposed to reuse single use bottles, which most plastic bottles are. For the amount of weight, you could easily get an aluminum bottle and continue to drink out of that if you like to carry around your own beverages. I have a couple of them and they work out really well.

9. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    While on occasions plastic bottles have been rare, the dangers of the PET materials used in them have concerned the public since like, forever. The bottles don't always say "recycle me". The sellers might not have any ideas on how to dispose of them to reduce the dangers. When I shop I buy a few boxes of bottled water to stock up at home, because their shelf life is quite long. I know we are not supposed to re-use them for reasons that they have health implications, but the label on the bottles does not say don't re-use. These health implications are caused by for long-term use. We just need to clean them and keep them in room temperature to prevent leakage, which could happen even to the new bottles.

#9Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    They are only harmful if they are heated, but otherwise you should be safe. I reuse my water bottles multiple times before I throw them out and I use them unless I leave them in a car and it gets too much sunlight and heat. Otherwise I think they are a safe bet considering they go through a lot to get to stores and I'm sure that part of the process has been accounted for.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard that before! I will look this up, because I'm suddenly quite worried about this. Maybe you could provide the source where you read this? All my water containers are plastic...
    I am not sure how serious this would be, taken that nowadays every drink we purchase is in a plastic container. If this were to be true, plastic container drinks would not be ok to sell.