Old clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by xcmiller93x • May 14, 2012.

1. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    What do you do with old clothes that you don't like or that don't fit you anymore? Do you throw them out, donate them, or sell them?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If they're in nearly perfect condition (like I didn't ever wear them, only wore them for a specific event, etc) and they're worth a bit, then I will sell them on Ebay. If they're regular ol' clothes but in good condition and I simply can't fit into them or don't like them any more, then I donate them. If they're stained or torn beyond repair, then I'll either use them as cleaning clothes or throw them out.

3. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to put them in bags and then I let my family go through them (I have 5 nieces) They have gone through some difficult times and can use the help. When they have gone through them, I take what is left to our local Goodwill or Salvation Army. It isn't doing any good in my closet, so I figure I may as well help somebody else out. I like the feeling, especially when it is almost brand new, of knowing that somebody else will find it and think "OMG"!!

4. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I donate or give away the clothes that are in good shape, just the wrong size. Things that are very worn or damaged I usually throw away or repurpose as cleaning rags.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I never sell or throw away my old clothes, I always donate them. Most of them are in good condition anyway. I always give them to my grandma (who knows people who really need clothes for their kids) or to our maid/cleaning lady (I don't know what the correct term, not trying to offend anyone here!), who also has kids who could wear them.

6. Jailynnsgrandma

JailynnsgrandmaMember

Threads:
    I donate. I used to give them to a local second hand store in the area, they gave a percentage of profits to area charities, but they recently closed down. Before moving here I would donate clothing to Big Sisters so I guess I will go back to doing that again.

7. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I give my old clothes to my younger brother. He is six years older than me so he can still use my old clothes. Some of my clothes will be given to some of my cousins too. They are not financially stable so that is my help for them as for now.

8. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I am quite a hoarder so I find it very difficult to get rid of my clothes. When I eventually do get around to it I usually donate it to the lady that cleans my house. I feel quite embarrassed at times to give her items that has a tear in it or some article of clothing that has definitely seen better days, but she doesn't seem to mind. In fact, she gets upset with me when, on the odd occassion, I have thrown clothes out that I thought would be of no use to anyone.
    She, in turn, takes what she needs for her family and then sells the rest to her friends.

9. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    I often give it away to charity. More often than not though, my GF likes to come over and see if I have any clothes I don't use anymore and cuts them up into something that came out of Forever 21. She often goes for ones with cool designs and it suddenly turns into a nice top for her.

10. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I send all of my old clothes, and children's clothes and kid paraphernalia to any charity in need. Sometimes I just give them to people I know that have a lot of kids and are in need. I figure I got my moneys worth out of them, and they are used. Why sell them when they have already been bought and someone else can use them.

11. greenplankton

greenplanktonMember

Threads:
    Never throw away your old clothes. Donate them or give them away to people who need them more than you do. You can also hand them down to younger siblings or use them as rags if they are torn and damaged too badly for further use. There are endless methods to making sure that your old clothes still have a future in them. It's a waste throwing them away. Save the earth by recycling and reusing them, but in a different manner.

12. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have always donated them unless they were in pretty poor condition. It just seems like the right thing to do. If I know someone who needs clothes, I will ask them if they would like to go through them first. I did this alot with maternity, baby and kid clothes. Families with young children can really use the help of getting free clothes!

13. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    If my old clothes are in good condition, I donate them to a charity. If they are in crappy condition, I usually just throw them out. I tried selling some "old" clothes (new clothes that I never wore) to one of those consignment stores, but they wouldn't take them and only gave me a few bucks for a very nice coat that I sold to them. I'd rather donate wearable clothes, at least someone who needs it might get it for cheap!

14. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    In general, I donate everything to goodwill. Everything. I don't even stop to consider if they're wearable or not (which is probably a terrible thing on my part).

15. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    We usually try to have a yard sale every other year and I sell a lot of my good used clothes that way. Whatever is left goes to the Goodwill as a donation. Clothes that are in a bad state I will use as rags or make new bedding for my cats, things like that. I wish I had to talent and creativity to make quilts or something but I missed that part of home ec in school. ;)

16. vidasandi

vidasandiNew Member

Threads:
    I try to recreate something more interesting with the ones that are quite new and less worn. , otherwise I pack them in several plastic bags, and take mycar , go around town in search of the homeless, and just give them the cloths. also I pack some food and give along with the cloths, because that is what they need more. anyway I make sure I put it in the hand of the needy myself and not through some agency.

17. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    If its in bad condition I cut it up and use it as cleaning rags - mostly shirts and old shorts and such. If they are jeans and are in bad condition I try and do something with the material that is still ok such as using it to make small pillow casings or a decorative lamp shade. If they are in good condition I either pass them on to a family member or I donate them to Good Will.

18. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    I do exactly the same.
    Because I usually don't get rid of good clothes (I hate shopping, I wear clothes pretty long) so if anything I just throw them away. Sometimes put them in a special container for used clothes but I have no idea if they do anything with it, I've never seen it..

19. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I usually donate them. I go through everyone's clothes periodically and pull out things that are too small or aren't worn. I donate to a charity that calls me every so often when they are going to have a truck on my street, and I just bag it all up and leave it on the porch. They always leave a card for the tax deduction too.

20. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I have cousins slightly younger than me who always ask me for old clothes, so that's where most of them go. The others, I use as cloth for projects and whatnot (like for sewing).