Would you enrol in a course to learn something completely new?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Dora M • Jul 19, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am curious by nature. I always want to know how things work, and how you can make and also repair things yourself, without having to spend a lot of money constantly buying them new.
    So I am thinking of doing an evening course that will teach me how to make furniture and other practical things out of recycled materials. I am happy to invest in this course, as it is not just for learning how to turn "rubbish" into something useful, but I will also meet others who have more local knowledge than I do, and who can give me insider information of how and where I can find the right people and materials for my future projects.
    How about you? Would you invest the money and time to learn something that will always be useful? Or would you try and research it on the internet?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it's something useful you want to learn fast then taking a course would be the right way to head. For someone like me though who likes to learn new things for fun, I wouldn't pay anyone or institution to teach me something new.

I'd rather try to learn it on the net free and if it's too hard for me, give up and try something else.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have and will again enroll in a class to learn how to do something the right way. Sometimes the best way to learn is in a class where you will have someone to ask a question of you do not understand it. You can learn alot online from videos and books but having someone right there with you can help you learn faster.

Your class sounds interesting. I like to recycle and repurpose old items. There was a show on tv many years ago that would take things people planned to throw away and make need items for the home without spending a lot of money. I wish there were more shows like that on tv now to give me more ideas.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would, but only if I were absolutely sure it would be more helpful to enroll rather than learn it on my own. These days, there's just way too much resources to learn almost everything and it's way too easy to access so anything that would necessitate payment would really have to prove their worth to me first. There has to be something more to the course that I can't get from just browsing online, but of course, guidance from others is often the determining factor in these cases and I have to admit that it is fairly important to learning.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did consider wanting to be my own cellphone technician so that I can repair my phones and the info is useful in general, and I know that there are courses for that over here provided by the government, but I just was not determined or motivated enough to inquire about it. After all, you would be going to school everyday, and that is a hassle for me. So now I'd rather just browse Google and Youtube instead, you can learn what you need to learn over there just by simply watching.