Brand new house furniture

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Strykstar • Jul 22, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    When moving into a brand new house, with absolutely no furnishings, what do you consider absolute necessities before you even start sleeping in The House?
    Of course there are things you buy as time goes by, but what's the absolute basic?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the most basic things that you need are a bed, something to sit on in the living room like a couch or recliner, a saucepan, a frying pan, a small bookshelf to put your things on, which you can buy at Walmart for $20, and some towels.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I would think toilet paper, a plunger, towel and soap are essential. Then I would make sure to have at least a folding chair with maybe a little table to put important papers. The kitchen is not necessary because of the option to eat out, but if one wanted to have something available then I would plug in a microwave if there was no stove. Or one could cook out on the grill if the weather was nice enough. Starting off in a home that is bare can be quit liberating as before long, a person realizes how little they actually need to function. This might prevent them from filling up the home with unessential's that they have to maintain.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a good and interesting question! I had some furniture when I moved in, but I had to have some essentials first and it's interesting to see what people consider "essential", isn't it?
    Well for me it's essential to have a bed, refrigerator, oven and at least a chair or couch. If those are not in the house yet, obviously a sink, toilet and shower are essential, but those are not furniture! Those would be my absolute essentials. Everything else can be bought later.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Essential furniture I'd need when moving into a new house:

Some chairs - you can't stand or sit on the floor for long.
    A table - for obvious reasons.

and a bed. I'd hate to sleep on the floor as though I was camping outside.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    If I was on a serious budget essential furniture to me would be a bed, and in terms of electronics a refrigerator. Those two are the absolute basics, because I figure you could always use the bed for seating and instead of a stove buy a hot plate. If I was just getting the place together and not too worried about money the bare essentials would be a bed, couch and coffee table.