How many meatless dishes do you cook a week?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Jul 22, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Health-wise and financially, I have heard it's good to have one meatless day per week. For me, accomplishing this feat has been a challenge. Why? I LOVE meat. Without my daily dose of protein, I feel week. (Yes - I know you can get protein from other foods besides meat.)

Do you prescribe to this type of diet?

If so, what types of dishes do you eat on that day?

2. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite meatless meals is stuffed peppers. They are great because you can experiment and stuff them with different things like mushrooms, cheese, rice or anything else and come up with some great flavor combinations. Although, I must admit that I don't do a meatless dish as often as I probably should. I have a friend that does Meatless Monday every week and she always comes up with some great dishes.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I have zero meatless dinner for the past two years now. We only have fruits or vegetables at night. Of course, we reserve one day, Thursday, for our cheat day where we can have meat dishes. Funny thing is that when we have that heavy dinner, we alwasy feel famished the morning after as compared to having just fruits or vegetables the night before. Sometimes we even skip cheat day when we are lazy to cook some dinner for ourselves. Budget wise, I think it does not have that much impact since the amount of fruits or veggies we consume almost always equals the budget for a meat dish.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to do anywhere from 1-3 meatless meals per week. We always have one pasta night during the week and go carb crazy, I like to try to squeeze in 2 days of fish because it is healthier. The rest of the days are reserved for red meat or chicken.I hate that we eat so much red meat but I only buy organic so I hope that helps with the health factor.

5. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    Been living my life with zero meatless days per week, maybe one meatless dish for the month. I love meat way too much and I don't know if it's mind over matter, but when I eat a meal that doesn't contain meat/protein of some sort, I usually end up not feeling full and satisfied, so I go back and eat more, which probably negates the health benefits of the meatless dish.

6. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe 1 or 2 per week. But I can't really imagine doing more than that. Meat is just so delicious and there's so much possibilities. I don't really think I need to make more meatless dishes because I'm still trying to have a balanced diet even when eating that much meat.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been a vegetarian all my life, so obviously I don't have any meat in my home whatsoever. I find that I have been a big influence on many of my meat eating friends, who always become strangely apologetic about their eating habits when they stay with me or visit for dinner. I always tell them to eat what makes them feel good. If they have doubts about their meat consumption, then they should try and go without it for a while and see what happens.

8. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I have meatless dishes everyday. It's not really hard for me because I'm not too big on meat anyway. It's not because of political reasons but I'm just someone who doesn't indulge a lot in meat. Some days all I eat are meatless dishes. I guess you can say I eat 3 or 4 meatless dishes per day. I suppose when I eat fish, this is my non meatless meal for the day.

9. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I can honestly say that my diet consists majoritarily of meat, altough I am very aware its not healthy, financially I am ina bit of a tight spot so I can't really afford the more expensive healthy foods, I just ingest my daily dose of meat and be over with it.
    Generally I eat rolled fried minced meat which is a specialty of my country, Chicken breast medium well done to well done, pork muscle cooked and marinated in various sauces and olive oil.

But I do eat some healthy foods at least twice a week, like salads, eggplant salad, tomato salad, cooked beans, raw beans, various types of fish and so on.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    As a vegetarian this isn't an issue for me but I do eat alot of seafood. I can understand your concern about making sure you're getting enough protein and feeling weak because a few years back I stopped eating seafood trying to go straight vegetarian and became anemic. It is a good idea to try and limit your meat intake especially red meat like beef, one thing you can do is try some fish which is high in omega fatty acids which are good for you and/or to try veggie burgers which are made to look like real ones and can be a nice transition from meat.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We eat meat so rarely. On an average week, we eat no meat whatsoever. I'm done with it.. no point to it for me at all, but my family likes it. So we make sure to buy humane meat from a source close by. We know how the animals are raised and how they eat and even how they end up on the plate (ugh, so sad), we will never contribute to the horrible conditions of the factory meat industry.. it's revolting and horrible for you.

12. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Less than I should, but more than you'd hope.

I actually cannot think of a single non meat dish that I make on a regular basis. Chicken burgers, spaghetti bolognese...oh, pizzas! I never eat meat with pizzas, so that's the one thing I think.

13. bargainbabe

bargainbabeActive Member

Threads:
    There are many options for meatless dishes. The easiest thing to do would be to google vegan dishes online. For those who say it's too hard, you should gradually ease your way into less and less meat. Opt for some fish recipes instead. I found a great recipe for salmon noodle soup online that I want to try once it's not so hot outside.

14. bargainbabe

bargainbabeActive Member

Threads:
    Ok I finally found that recipe for salmon noodle soup I like. I think it's here.

Divine. And then from there just transition to completely meatless dishes.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Most of the dinners I cook for my partner and I do include meat, but that's often a cheaper 'meat' like chicken instead of red meat.

My lunches are primarily meatless, though, as I end up eating a lot of pasta.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really do meatless meals at all. I probably should, because it's less expensive and maybe healthier, but my kid and I like meat way too much.