Foods that mess with our health

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Jul 23, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't drink milk very often so I usually drink for breakfast peach juice for some years now, it has a good balance for my stomach. In the past days I decided to try a new pineapple juice (with Costa Rica pineapples they say...) and it's delicious, but it's messing a little with my stomach, so I think I will have to go back to the peach one. Do you also have this problem with juices or other foods that you love, but that mess with your health?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I can't tolerate dairy milk at all. I never liked it either. For breakfast I only drink a big glass of water with the juice of a quarter of a lemon in it. I have been doing it for a few years now. It helps flushing out the toxins from your body. Occasionally, when I get a little tired of lemon, I do the same thing with grapefruit.
    If you have trouble with any juice, dilute it with water. Because it's usually the high concentration of fruit sugar that causes you to have an upset stomach.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Oh my goodness, milk was the one food that mess with my health! It was around 4 years ago when my stomach felt a little uneasy each time I drank milk. So, I stopped altogether and opt for water, diet cranberry juice, and orange juice. I don't eat hamburgers as much either. I trust my body when it's telling me certain foods I eat are not a good combination. This is good because I do want to move into a realm where I don't eat meat at all.

4. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    Yes! I spent 4 years of my life so sick and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I was ready to apply for disability and fight for it because I couldn't work due to pain & fatigue. There were other symptoms as well but none that would help with the disability application. About 6 weeks before my doctor appointment I was reading a magazine that talked about wheat making you sick. I looked it up and all of my symptoms were on the short list of possible symptoms for gluten intolerance. I cut gluten for 2 weeks and had noticeable changes in how I felt. I never went back to gluten and feel almost normal again. I still have some pain and I'm still working with my diet to see if anything else might be upsetting things. I've been gluten free for just over a year and so glad to have my life back.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been months since I drank milk, but the last time I did, it was chocolate milk and it screwed up my bowel movement. Eating ice cream also does this to me but only in large doses, like if I buy a half gallon ice cream, but the ones in cones and cups don't have any negative effect on my stomach.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I found out that the enzyme necessary to digest milk stops being produced in the human body by pre-teen years. This truth is why so many adults cannot digest milk.

I stopped drinking milk (straight) years ago. My preference is vanilla flavored soy milk. To me, it tastes just like cow's milk and goes great over cereal and with a stack of cookies.

Other foods that bug my stomach are rich chocolates, Pepsi Max (don't ask me why) and white bread and orange juice. Naturally, I like all of these items. My stomach hates them though and treats me terribly if I consume any of them.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love soda but have long since stopped drinking it because Diabetes runs in our family and I don't want to risk getting it. I still indulge and drink one can or two once a while, but I've honestly grown so used to drinking just water in the past years that I don't even crave it that much anymore. I'm now a lot more used to just drinking water with my meals and whenever I do get soda, I usually just drink it as a substitute for my dessert instead, which I think is the best way to go about it.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    When I eat too much dairy it really messes up with my stomach, not to mention too much sweets haha, but if I do that I do deserve the pain, I am old enough to know. Sodas with gas are terrible and I don't drink them often, but just to know that coke is good to unclog pipes we imagine the harm that does to our stomach and the inside of our body.

9. HarryS

HarrySNew Member

Threads:
    I feel that gluten has a negative effect on my health. Every time I eat gluten, I feel drowsy and uncomfortable. I went to a doctor and he said that I did not have Celiac disease (a gluten intolerance), but nonetheless I am sure it is bad for me. Now I try to stick to gluten-free products as much as possible.

10. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    I've been on all kinds of diets and I'm not totally sure if I have a gluten intolerance. I don't have celiac disease, but when I eat wheat products like bread or pasta, it just plain doesn't digest well. I get really bloated, sleepy, and my stomach hurts.

Beans are the worst. They used to be a regular feature of my diet... Something changed about a year ago. (OK, this is TMI, fair warning) Whenever I eat them now, I fart constantly all day long, they're super concentrated deadly silent farts. And my guts are so bloated I feel like a beach ball all day. It's so embarrassing I don't want to be around people at that time, because I can't control the farting.

Dairy gives me acne, so does wheat.

I feel best when I am on a Paleo-style diet (cuts out all grains, legumes, and dairy) that is low in fruits because some fruits make me gassy. It's a restrictive diet and kind of annoying to stick with, but I love having a flat not-bloated stomach and clear skin! Among many other little positive body changes.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is diary for me, ice cream is not my friend. I eat my cereal with yogurt, and I have started using Almond milk with my cereal to avoid stomach pains. No cream in the coffee either. I have tried drinking those ice coffee's they look so good but I am in pain shortly after drinking it so now I just look at them.

12. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would have to be pretty much everything I love to eat. :( I used to eat whatever I wanted no problem. I think it always helped that I never binge eat but somehow I got GERD last year. I know from what you read that you can't have acid which is in pretty much everything. It does seem to match up too. Granted I don't have too many problems because again I'm a moderate eater with a midnight snack here and there but it still hurts. Anyway I love all things dairy: ice cream, longhorn cheese/grilled cheese, pizza, milkshakes, floats, ice cream cake. I haven't really liked drinking milk that much though so I switched to goat's milk. Sadly that still has lactose in it but it's gluten free and the brand I get tastes sweet like coffee creamer. I'm never going back to drinking plain milk again.
    Bacon is probably the worst for me but I love it so much.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any major issues with foods and my stomach. However, I guess I can't drink tons of straight milk, although I can eat or drink products that contain some milk. I have a pretty strong stomach and no known allergies, though, so I would say that I'm in the minority. I know others that can't drink milk or exotic fruit juices and tons of other things.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Milk is one of the heaviest things our stomach has to deal with because it has a really complex structure that requires a lot of time to be processed. If we want to take this a step further we can see we are the only adult "animal" that ingests milk, milk is for babies, not for adults.

15. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    Wow, a lot of people seem to have the milk intolerance. My issue is not milk, it's pineapples (or the juice of) and bananas. I like both, especially pineapples, so that's a real problem for me. Dole puts out a juice that is a combination of strawberry, banana and pineapple that I LOVE, but can't drink without consequences of major stomach pain. :(

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, milk is for nurturing babies into big strong COWS! lol.. Is it any wonder most people have issue with it. Even if they think they don't, I'd almost bet they do.. it shows in many ways. Same with wheat. I won't blame any of my past issues on gluten specifically, but definitely wheat.

And I highly doubt "fruit sugar" is an issue There is usually added sugar in juices and that would be an issue more than anything.

17. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Dairy messes with me as well, probably the worst of anything I may consume. I only eat it if I have absolutely nowhere else to be within the next 24 hours, haha. Unfermented soy also seems to mess with me, which I realized when I looked at the ingredients for a lot of herbal teas I’d been drinking. Many of them were flavored with soy lecithin, and once I cut those out everything went back to normal. However, a lot of chocolate brands use soy lecithin, and in combination with the sugars I can break out pretty badly in hormonal acne if I eat too much.

I’m on the fence about gluten. I’ll eat it one day and there’ll be no problem, but if I eat too much of it in a week I feel kind of sluggish and heavy. I just feel like I function better if I stick with mostly brown rice for a carb source.

18. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    So far, no food has ever messed up with my health. Yes, I like spicy food and lots of spices cause acid reflux and indigestion which, of course, is common sense. I still eat cayenne, red bell and green bell peppers in moderation. I even eat chilli sauce. A big cup of yoghurt keeps me off all the discomfort in the stomach. I don't have any lactose, gluten or any other intolerances. I'm pretty lucky, I suppose.