Vaccination

Discussion in Travel started by Strykstar • Jul 24, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever traveled somewhere you needed to take special vaccines to go to?
    I don't think I could do it unless it was an absolute necessity, never just as vacations, if there's a reason to take so many precautions then there are plenty of places to visit where these measures aren't necessary.

2. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I don't travel abroad very often, so I'm certainly no expert. But I guess it would depend on where you're traveling to. And I would get a second opinion from my doctor. If he recommended a vaccination, then I would go ahead and get it. The way I look at it, it's better to be safe than sorry. Statistically, I really don't know, but I have a feeling that plenty of people come down with diseases while on vacation. Just saying.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I knew there was a an outbreak of a disease in a place I intend then I'll prefer to go elsewhere instead or stay home since I have no obligation to travel to any specific place. Vaccinations while helpful don't guarantee that you won't contract/catch a disease. So to be safe and save money in case you have to spend a lot of money on medication you'd otherwise not need, why take unnecessary risks?

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    If I knew there were severe problems in a country with parasites, disease, and whatever else there is no way I would be going. I don't like getting shots or taking medicine unless I am absolutely forced too. So if I find a place I want to visit that requires this I'll throw away the pamphlet and find a new place to visit. It really isn't worth it to me.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I travel a lot and always carefully research the possible diseases that I could catch in the areas into which I need to go. So far I got away with not requiring any vaccinations. Although a vaccination against Yellow Fever was strongly recommended to me last time I went to South America. But there are parasites and diseases that no vaccination will protect you from. Such diseases are Ross River Fever, Brahman Forest Fever and Malaria parasites, all of which I experienced personally while living in Australia and Papua New Guinea.

6. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    No, I never had to take vaccinations when I traveled. Since I've only traveled in America thus far, there's been no need for me to take it. I do know it's highly important. I'll never forget a story of a young journalist who died at the age of 21 from an illness she got while visiting a country in Africa. I forgot which country it was and I know she had to take vaccinations to travel to the country. Upon her return to America, she quickly fell ill and died a few days later.