Are Designer Labels Important To You?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by May102014 • Jul 24, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I was wondering if designer labels matter to some people? Personally, I never cared for designer labels as long as the clothes were of great quality. I feel designer labels are for show for they serve no other purpose. I’d say they are of very minimal importance but I understand certain brands carry a reputation and history. What is your opinion?

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    No, not necessarily. If I can get a pair of jeans for say $30 and there's a designer one for like $90, but they last the same amount of time and they have the same amount of comfort and stuff, I would definitely only pay $30 for it. I have designer stuff but pretty much all of them were gifts from family and friends to me; I rarely ever buy designer stuff for myself.

3. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    No, they're not important to me. I really can't afford for them to be important to me either. I really don't feel like I have anyone to impress, and am not going to spend that kind of money to have something I could easily do without. On the other hand, if I were to find a designer brand at a thrift store for a reasonable price, I might go ahead and buy it. That'll be my splurge for the entire year.

4. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I think it depends on the item that you are purchasing. When it comes to clothes, I buy whatever feels and looks good regardless of who made it. However, when it comes to shoes, purses and other accessories, I prefer buying from designer brands, simply because with these items the brand name is displayed and also they have more variety and better options.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't care for designer labels/ brands and that kind of thing. But people occasionally think that I do. Fact is I habitually buy used clothing. Should I find designer clothes being sold cheap at a thrift store then quite definitely if they're almost as good as new, I'd buy them.

But to get them [designer clothes] new at ridiculous prices . . . that I'll never do.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, what's important for me is the comfort of the clothes. But if I would be given a designer clothes, I would be glad to wear it in special occasions I see it fit to be worn even if it doesn't feel comfortably to me. But shelling out a quite amount of money just to buy it is a big no for me.

7. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, why would it be? Let's be honest, they're still going to be coming from the exact same places which we don't want to think about, and the workers are still working for the same amount of money. I think I'd rather keep my money out of the big businesses that charge an arm and a leg for a 'designer' label, while still giving the workers the same amount as a regular label.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never paid any attention at all to designer labels. I just buy what feels and looks good to me, preferably clothes that are made form natural fibres. Although, it has happened a few times to me, that I bought something in a thrift shop, only to find out later that I got myself an expensive designer label dress or shirt. But these things are incidental and don't matter to me.

9. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    No. I don't have the luxury to buy designer clothes. I buy what fits me and I like for a reasonable price. Plus size clothes tend to be more expensive anyway and designer options are very limited. Plus size designer clothes are out of my budget.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, they are not that important. Sure, I do enjoy having designer brand clothing from time to time, but if the quality is good, with a good price and it's something I like, I have no problem with it not having a brand. I think that if I had a lot of money to spare I would care more about designer labels. However I don't make that much money and I'm always on a budget, so I cannot have that luxury!

11. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never cared much for designer labels either to tell you the truth. As long as the clothes are in fashion, fit me right, and are reasonably priced then I'm fine. I can understand wanting to have nice clothes but paying over $20 dollars for shirt for instance, to me is a bit unnecessary. There are outlet stores like Ross, TJ Max, Walmart ect... where you can get nice clothes that aren't really expensive.

12. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    No, I do not care the brand of my clothes. Honestly, I just buy what I like, sometimes I indulge myself with a high priced item and other times I will get a steal at Ross. I love when people have an ecclectic wardrobe, my best friend pairs Prada with Target and looks so unique and chic. The only time I think about the manufacturer of my clothing is if I am thinking in terms of durability. Otherwise I just buy what I like.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that for the average Joe, labels aren't really important, and the only people that will say that they are are the elite or fashion-conscious ones. Anyway, I also don't care at all for designer labels, unless I would want to show off, lol. I am happy and content buying generic or not so expensive but branded clothes.

14. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes designer outfits are made with better quality and better feel- but most of the time that is not the case. Name brands mean nothing to me. What matters to me is the cost, comfort, look, style, etc. Typically I buy most of my clothing from Goodwill. Even with that said, I always find designer clothing and popular name brands that have been donated in very good or new condition. This doesn't mean that I'll buy them simply because they're name brand, but if they fit my style and shape then I wouldn't hesitate to take the steal.

15. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    I never paid attention to labels. I'd rather spend money on things that interest me. Also, I get loads of compliments when I just wear my favorite T-shirts, that are all just cheap gaming shirts with cute references to geek culture.

16. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Designer labels only matter to me when it comes to shoes and bags. When it comes to clothes, I don't care who made it as long as I feel comfortable and/or look good wearing it. But If it's given as a gift then I would definitely wear it of course. It's still nice to wear something like it once in a while. :D

17. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I buy my clothes based on looks and quality so I doesn't really matter if they're made by a well known designer or a little factory in China. Most times well known brands tend to cost more, so why pay extra if I can find clothes of the same quality cheaper? I have a few friends that buy Nike or Adidas just so they can display the logos all over their clothes and show that they 'care' what they wear. Really guys?

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't really value the brand names themselves but I do appreciate the quality of products that designer labels bring. They cost ten times as much the generic brands but they arguably last longer anyway or at least usually give a much fuller experience. That said, it's not like generic brands are always that bad or that much subpar, so whenever a cheaper one's quality comes close to the bigger brands then I'd definitely consider it a smart purchase and just go for the cheaper ones.

19. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well sometimes but I never really cared for them because I'm more for the quality of the product instead of the label but if somebody gave a CK shirt I wouldn't say no to that.

20. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I can really care less about the name brand because brand doesn't always equal style. I'm more interested in the design it's self. In addition, I rather go after the look and style of the apparel. I never understood how people can spend hundreds of dollars more just for the name brand. I understand sometimes quality matters, but if it's just the name, I can care less*