My Method to Shopping Reasonably

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by May102014 • Jul 24, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    How do you shop responsibly without going over your budget? Be thrift! It is easier said than done and it is definitely not impossible. There are 3 steps to shopping responsibly. First, carry exact cash in your wallet. Second, avoid huge stores and malls. Third, carry a list of the exact items you need and focus only on those items. What is your method for shopping responsibly?

2. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    My biggest rule to shop responsibly is not to shop with friends. Even though they mean well, the friends I shop with are constantly trying to get me to buy stuff I don't want or need. Other rules are to not buy something on a whim that I have nothing to wear with. The same goes with something that doesn't fit. No matter how much of a bargain something seem like, if it's just going to sit in your closet, than it's no bargain and only takes up precious space.

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Great method!

For me, working with a list is a money saver. It helps me stay on track and not get distracted by other sales. Also, I have found when I go grocery shopping eating before leaving out keeps me from over buying. If I am hungry, I tend to come home with a few extras.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a big rule person so I don't have any really great ways to shop responsibly. I did recently start paying for everything in cash or with a debit card so that seems to be a good move and a relatively easy rule to follow. I also try to not shop when I am very happy or very sad because both of those moods make me want to buy everything I see.

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    My number one rule is to never carry a card be it credit nor debit. This way I'll not have the thought that I can spend more than I have on me. I also always try to look for in-house items and special discounts to maximize saving. I wait for sales and that's when I stock up on that grocery item.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, I just carry enough money with me to buy what I need from the store, because carrying more than enough money will result in excessive spending whether it's food or various stuff. If you only have enough money, then you can go window shopping without worrying that you'll overspend, because you don't even have enough money to spend to begin with! ;)

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These are really good ideas. Carrying the exact amount of cash that I will be spending, is one of my favourite ways not to overspend. Even though, I have found myself in situations where I was just $1 or $2 over my set budget, and found it annoying that I had been so strict with myself to leave my bank card at home.
    I also recommend shopping at local farmer's markets where you there are always good deals to be found, especially when it gets to the end of the day, and people are keen to unload their produce fast and cheap.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is indeed a good way to save some money and not go over your budget. As for me, my current method to save money and shop reasonably is just looking at my bank account statement!

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I always carry a list of things to buy. On that list is a column for the specific items as well as the estimated price. I also buy in cash only. We have stopped using credit cards more than a decade ago. This way, we only buy what we can afford. Each shopping trip should be purposeful. There are occasions when we allow ourselves to splurge with a given amount of cash. We buy anything we want just so we won't feel deprived. We do this just once a year to reward ourselves for being frugal the whole year.

10. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I strongly agree that it's better to not shop with friends. When I shop with friends I feel the need to keep up with them and always end up buying stuff I don't want or really need. For example, if they stop to eat I feel bad to just sit and watch them so I order something too. So yeah, it's better for my wallet to shop at my own pace and alone.

11. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    You know people always say that you should write a shopping list that will guide you and help not to overspend. But it rarely helps. Normally this is just a personal control over your money. You just need to live by your standards. Be hard on yourself and make it clear that at a certain point I cannot spend over a certain amount of money.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Going around with a shopping list won't stop you from buying something you didn't intend to if you haven't cultivated that kind of self-control. For such a person then carrying an exact or almost exact amount of money you spend would be a good start to learning how to control impulse shopping urges. For me I normally always buy what is in my shopping list. In fact I have tendency of spending less because I choose not to buy something if it doesn't look that good.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't like carrying only the exact amount because I prefer having the option to buy extra if I suddenly wanted to, but I do make a list and it does make me stick to my budget a lot better. I still get a bit of extra things here and there but with a list I am able to clearly define the necessary ones enough that I know exactly what extras I am getting and if I am going overboard.

14. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    What I do is like yourself, I carry cash. It's so easy to overspend if you just use your card (Debit or credit), but if you have cash you'll know when you're dwindling down. And also, I always look for deals and sales and stuff like that before I go buy anything.

I also go thrift-store shopping first more than anything else, but if there's something I need that I know I won't be able to find at thrift-stores (or be willing to find at thrift stores), I'd go to an actual mall or a shop. Many times you can find great things at thrift stores if you take the time to look.

And yes, I try to not go shopping with friends. Somehow my money disappears faster that way :p

15. kaylahambrick

kaylahambrickMember

Threads:
    If it is things that I desperately need in the house, like neccesities, I dont worry about it as much as long as I dont splurge. If its something I want, like clothing or jewelry, I think to myself "how long did I have to work to get this" and then I will decide if I want it or not. Thats what Ive found that works the best for me.

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My best method for shopping while saving so much time and money is having someone buy the things I need. I would give that someone the list of the items that he should buy along with the brands and the quantities and the money. In that I am not going to be able to see and try something new in the supermarket. I am also able to save a lot of time.