Storytelling In Current Movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by May102014 • Jul 24, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Do current movies lack quality in storytelling nowadays? It's been awhile since I watched a film currently in theatres. Don't get me wrong. There are some films that came out during 2013 I absolutely loved. I was looking at some trailers of some films coming out in 2014 and they are mostly uninteresting. Perhaps I haven't found the right trailer to capture my attention as of yet. So you think some movies release today lack meaningful storytelling?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There seems to a creativity lull in the movie industry. The screenwriters who really good at telling great stories either retired, simply stopped writing or got lazy. That's why there are no interesting movies anymore except for a few adaptations which are slopping done anyway.

Maybe things will change in the near future when young screenwriters break into the movie industry.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I guess writers are running out of ideas for stories. Almost all films feel like a rehash from other movies just with different casts. I think that film makers like everybody else prefer the tried and true formula that will guarantee ticket sales.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find that these days a lot of movies are just rehashes of concepts that have been around for a long time. Chopping things up and assembling them in a new way with a lot of special effects, seems to be common. The story might still be there but, strangely enough, it doesn't seem to be the main focus anymore. Is it because people's attention span has become shorter?

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are no good story tellers anymore? Have you ever seen a movie once and wanted to see it more than twice because the story [not the effects] drew you in and made you care about the characters, felt pain when they kind of didn't get what they wanted or lost something which was dear to them? That's what Hollywood wants but can't get because unlike the older screenwriters who read many books and had more [practical] life experiences, new screenwriters hardly had such things to color up their lives and must therefore rely on stories which have been previously told by better writers who allowed their imaginations to run wild.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've seen a good amount of great recent movies that had very good stories and we're very well executed. I don't think the scene is much different now than it was back then. I've seen a lot of crappy movies that were made just for jumping on a trend in all decades, so I'm not really that surprised that it's still happening now. It's just much easier to see the good movies of the past decade grouped together and then ignore all the others because the time has already passed.

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I think everything is just fine in the movie industry. There are movies that still capture your heart and there are others that make you want to have a refund. I think there are many factors that affect our subjective look on these movies. Say if you have watched superhero movies, in the next superhero movie, you'd expect it to best the last one you've watched. Another thing is age. When I was a kid, E.T. was on the top of my list. When I watched it again when I was an adult, it was so crappy I regretted watching it again because the magic was gone in my memory.