Samsung Chromebook Series 2 16gb

Discussion in Product Reviews started by zuulspaceman • Jul 25, 2014.

1. zuulspaceman

zuulspacemanNew Member

Threads:
    i just got a Samsung Chromebook Series 2 16gb computer and I wanted to talk about why I enjoy using it.

The main reason I got it is because I type a lot of articles for work all day. I have large hands, but this small computer isn't something that I have trouble with at all. I tested it at the store, and I was able to type comfortably on it so I gave it a try.

The thing is only good if you're able to be online so you can use everything on it. You have to basically use whatever you can get in the Google Store but they have most everything you'll need so that's not a problem. Don't expect to install all of your favorite software.

For some reason they put the speakers on the bottom of the computer, so sounds basically just go through to whatever you have it sitting on which doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you're looking for a cheap way to just get online and work on documents, this is the way to go. I've also read about putting Linux onto here and making it run on that, but there's so little space for anything that I'd rather just use it the way it is.

Oh, and they give you 2 years of 100gb of space on Google Drive so that's where I've started keeping my files. It's great because I can then get my work from wherever I may be that has the Internet.

Anyone else have a Chromebook?

2. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm looking to get one, but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm gonna need a smaller laptop for college and I think a chromebook might be the perfect fit for me. How much did yours cost? I've seen some go for under 200$ but I'm not sure if they are that good, if they are so cheap.

3. zuulspaceman

zuulspacemanNew Member

Threads:
    Mine was $229 new. I would say go with the kind I got because Samsung makes high quality products. I've dropped this thing pretty far and I thought it would be done for but it didn't even mess it up. I would say to invest in some headphones because the speakers are okay but you have to prop up the laptop to hear them because they're on the bottom of the machine.

If I could, I'd get that Microsoft Surface tablet computer. You can hook up a keyboard to that and it looks like it can do a lot more than this. It just went down in price so it's a pretty good deal if you wanted to check out a good alternative. It's all a matter of taste and about what you need to do. Go check out Google's app store thing and check over the free applications and games to get an idea of what you're able to use on a Chromebook before you buy one.

I would also say that it's pretty cheap to get a laptop these days so if you want to really get something other than work done then it's best to just get something cheap that works with your needs. It would be awesome to be able to run certain programs, but I can just use my real laptop for that. I am a writer so I don't mind what this computer can do, but only being able to use Google Docs right out of the box isn't that great for me because I'm not used to it yet.

#3Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  4. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't really need anything other than internet access, some writing and office tools and maybe a compiler for programming. I already have a good laptop to do all my gaming or entertainment on, so it doesn't really need that. I'm just gonna use it for college anyway and as soon as I'm at home I'll use my normal laptop again. That's why I think getting a chromebook is a good idea, because with Google Drive I can access my files I wrote at college at home too.

5. zuulspaceman

zuulspacemanNew Member

Threads:
    You might have some issues with finding a Chromebook that will allow you to do some basic programming. As someone who is into that as well, it's pretty much impossible for me to find something I know how to use in the app store that will work on here. You have to be online to use most of the apps anyways, so if you're working on something that's really important to you it may be hard to have to store it in the cloud and trust that everything is going to work properly elsewhere. You can probably write code in Google Docs or something and then use it later, but I'm not sure about programming on the Chromebook in general.

There are some online IDE tools that are pretty powerful that you may want to look into, just do a search for them. Otherwise I don't know how to program on a Chromebook.

6. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen some editors on the Google app store that seem to support HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP. Since I'm going to a college for web design that might be all I need, but I'm not too sure about any tools for Java or Visual Basic. That might have to wait until I get home.