Do you ever restyle your wardrobe?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • Jul 25, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    A few months ago, I began a temp job. Because I didn't want to spend any money on new clothes, I restyled my wardrobe. I layered and re-mixed a few looks to help me appear business like.

To me, restyling one's wardrobe is a BIG money saver. Clothes are so costly. So, in my opinion, everyone should try to get the most out of whatever they buy.

Example . . .
    ++kopie.

2. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Does re styling mean permanently altering the clothes? Like in the example you gave, would it mean cutting of the skirt of the original dress?

In terms of layering, I don't really do that because of the heat. I wear very few layers, usually just a top and a bottom or a dress, and a light jacket or cardigan only if I'm going out at night or somewhere with air conditioning. Sometimes I wear a cami under a top that's too revealing but if it's a really hot day I would rather just wear another top that doesn't require layering.

3. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I am not very good at sewing so I am not able to alter pieces to create a new garment. I always buy skirts and pants in neutral and semi-neutral colors that will go with any top that I have. I can create many different looks. Once you have the basic pieces, you have plenty of mixing and matching possibilities.

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I have done similar stuff or I have just plain out recycled clothes that didn't fit. I turned an old pair of jeans into a jean vest. I've turned plain t-shirts into off the shoulder shirts. I've turned skirts into dresses. It is a lot of fun. If you can't sew there is sewing tape that you iron down and it is very sturdy.

5. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    While the example is cute, I could never personally do it because those layers would get too hot for me. I do like to put different pieces of my wardrobe together and make different outfits. It definitely saves money. For me, I've had no choice but to buy a few new items. My body just hasn't been the same since having my baby. I've accepted that even if I lose the weight (and I'm slowly getting there), nothing will ever be in the same spot it was before. So, I buy a pair of shorts here and a pair of jeans there and in the meantime, I get by with what does fit.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a really great idea. I wish I could do something similar, but I don't have a sowing machine and to be honest, I am not much of a seamstress either. If there was someone in the neighbourhood who did cheap alterations, I definitely wouldn't hesitate to use their services.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not my thing. I tried it once and didn't turn out well. It has gone completely useless. I would rather give it to someone the way I used to wear it if I am overly used to the style than to restyle it so I would be able to use it longer.

8. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Well...yeah? That's called just putting on clothes :p

I mean, as long as it's a temporary thing, isn't this just what people do on a daily basis, or am I missing something here? Only big thing I've done recently that wasn't just an everyday thing is that I now have a routine going out outfit, rather than just whatever I've been wearing that day, if you get me?

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    If you mean by restyling putting a skirt over another skirt for example, I haven't done that but could be a good idea if it's not too hot or cumbersome. If you mean sewing then that could also be a good idea for people who are good at sewing, I'm not one of them lol. I thnk trying to find anyway possible to make the most of your wardrobe is a good idea.

10. junebug

junebugNew Member

Threads:
    I assumed that the example was not resewn - you could put the black skirt over the dress and then just use the sash that came with the dress over the skirt. I think it's really cute and not something that most people would automatically think of. Tomorrow I'm going to have to look to see if I can recreate that look from my own closet - or go shopping with that in mind. I think I do a decent job mixing and matching my clothes. I don't get super creative, but I don't end up wearing the same thing over and over. I have been making do with the same clothes for quite awhile now, so I think it may be time to start upgrading my wardrobe.

11. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Restyling your clothes doesn't necessarily involve cutting and sewing old items into something new. Normally, it's just remixing an item. For example, here's another example. The woman started off with a simple black dress (sorry no pic) and transformed this piece into four different outfits.

screen-shot-2013-04-15-at-2-47-43-pm.

12. junebug

junebugNew Member

Threads:
    I love that example - super cute! That gives me some great ideas for how to remix my own wardrobe. I'm going to have to try out some of my ideas and see what works. I especially like the first example of the argyle cardigan over the dress. No need to buy black skirts! How did she make the dress longer in the fourth example?

13. oxygenpromotions

oxygenpromotionsNew Member

Threads:
    wow awesome collection.

14. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do too. Even though I'm a guy I like to have a few of every clothing and mix and match them around. Like what the others have said, this helps me to reduce costs and storage space.

15. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I try to restyle my wardrobe but am not very creative so I have a hard time finding new combinations of clothing to wear. I do like to do this because in the long run it saves me money and I try to appreciate what I have but whenever I do it I tend to look like a kid who played dress up in her mother's closet and just missed the mark. Since I am not very good doing it with articles of clothing I try to incorporate new accessories into my outfits to mix the look up a bit.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never done this but it is an interesting idea to me. I think it would be great to be able to do this with my wardrobe but unfortunately I'm not very skilled with my hands. Whatever craft I'm doing usually ends up very messy and it looks like a kid did it. Sometimes if I have old clothes I'll go to a tailor to have it fixed but that's about it. I don't really trust myself with making fashion designs as well.

17. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, and as matter of fact, I'm doing it right now. I used to wear simple tees because I didn't pay any attention to my fashion statement or what clothes I wore back then. However, as I grew older, I realized that having a great sense of fashion is a must in getting up the corporate ladder. I mean, every little thing plays a part in that promotion, and looking good certainly helps. That's my motivation in restyling my wardrobe right now.

18. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I have definitely tried restyling my wardrobe but I don't personally sew the garments together. I just have a tailor or dressmaker, whatever she's called, do my requests for clothes. Like for instance, there was a time when clothes that have holes in them in the back were in and I have some clothes that are like that. I just asked her to sew them together or put some clothing inside then sew it to make them seamless. Or sometimes, I have pants that I don't really like anymore, I'll just ask her to turn them into shorts or bags.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know nothing about re-styling my wardrobe, so I just buy new clothes whenever it is needed. Sometimes buying brand new can be expensive, so I just buy from thrift stores.