VLC Alternatives

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Jul 26, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've recently been having trouble using my VLC player in that it's not playing some of my files, particularly the bigger sized mkk files I have. Granted, not all large files refuse today, and I'm not sure if it's just my computer that is faulty, but I suspect it's just the player because most other functions still run fine in my laptop.

Anyway, I'd like to hear if any of you out there could suggest some better alternatives for VLC. I'm willing to look into anything, even paid ones, just as long as I won't have trouble playing some of my files anymore.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never liked VLC as a media player so I'm always experimenting with as many media players as I can. The software I'd recommend [having used and liked it] is Potplayer.

You can take check it out, and even try it to see if can do the job as well as you want it done. You could start by reading the review though.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow. I'm a bit shocked. I have never had any problems with VLC playing unknown files. I'm really interested VLC alternatives just in case it fails me one day.

4. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I really like the GOM Player. I started using it, because there were some korean StarCraft 2 tournaments streamed via GOM Player and because I wanted to watch them, I had to get it. I've used it ever since and it didn't fail me once.

5. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I like MPlayerX. Before I used VLC but it gave me trouble with some .mkv files. This app works perfectly for me and opens all kinds of video files. This is a Mac alternative. You didn't mention what OS you are using so I thought this recommendation could be useful, if not to you then maybe others who use mac.

6. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    Thanks, I had the same problem with VLC and .mk4 files before.

Will check out MPlayerX.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Thanks! I am using a Mac so this probably fits my needs best. I'll be giving this a try soon, thank you very much for your suggestion.

To everyone else, thanks to you guys for your recommendations as well, I'll be checking all other options as well and then I'll probably be back here to write about my findings when I do.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd still love to hear more. Thanks again, everyone!