Have You Been Hit On By Anyone Who Works In Retail?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by sidney • Jul 30, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm just wondering if this has already happened to you, or you have experienced such an incident where you are the one doing the hitting? Like if you were hit on by the barista, waiter, cashier, etc. what happened? Did you give them your number or not? Did you come back to the store again? Because getting a customer's number is quite awkward. Or maybe you were the one asking for that saleslady's or nurse's number? How did it turn out? If you were rejected, did you come back to the store again? As for me, I experienced a guy before handing me a note with his number on it, but I didn't text him. :p How about you, what's your experience?

#1Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been harassed by a Walmart greeter who asked to see my receipt and made a suggestive comment about the fact that I was buying bras and panties.
    I don't like being harassed, hit on, or asked for my number. I'm happy being a single mother and focused on making money to support my daughter.
    I can't believe that men don't pick up on my "Leave me alone" body language and annoyed facial expression.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess they were challenged by your stance that's why they still hit on you despite your defensive facial expression and body language? You can easily report him if you like.

4. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, in several instances actually. Being hit on is not necessarily a bad thing. It's flirting and there's nothing wrong with it as long as it's done appropriately without being mean or sexist. Another thing, people on retail are more likely to hit on customers when the establishment where they work is a small operation like a bar or a grocery store from a street corner. I sometimes hit on retail workers so I wouldn't mind being hit on by them. But of course, as I said earlier, the interaction should be done in an appropriate way where nobody's offended or insulted.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But it also depends on the company, right? I heard that it's really not allowed by companies and you can lose your job, so I guess it's better to play it safe, right? The only thing that it is gonna be "safe" is if you mutually like each other and no one reports the employee.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I've had a couple of experiences where a guy was obviously flirting. I pretty much just ignored it. There is a UPS delivery guy that delivers to my workplace pretty often that is pretty full of himself, he thinks he is so hot and I do not care. He tried flirting with me a few times and I just don't even make eye contact. I think it is very unprofessional to do that so I would not encourage it even if I was interested.

7. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had that happen before to me. Probably because I haven't been to enough stores, old enough, or have found someone within my age range or whatever. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that can get you fired if you get caught or they happen to tell their manager, so I'd be really careful about what I'd do if I were someone like that.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If he annoys you enough, then you can try to record the flirting using a spycam then report it to the manager or higher-ups in their company. On 2nd thought, that is quite harsh, since he might lose his job simply because of being overconfident.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had my eye on one of the waiters in my favorite cafe for quite a while, but apart from friendly chats and lots of smiles, I didn't push the issue too hard. I just wanted to see if the feeling was mutual, and if he was available. After a few weeks it became obvious that he was also interested in me, and we went for a long walk together and had a rather interesting conversation. Many more of walks followed, in which he revealed to me that he was going through a messy divorce. We didn't pursue a romantic path but became excellent friends instead. :)