Getting enough sleep

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Jul 30, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sleeping 7-8 hours per day is said to be something basic for our health, but I know that most people don't sleep that much. How many hours do you sleep per day? Do you think that influences your health, I mean, are you an healthy person? Would you consider sleeping more if that made you healthier?

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to get somewhere between 4 and 6 hours of sleep a night and some days I can really feel it. I still go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week and eat healthy but I think in the long run I am not doing myself any favors. I am trying to work on getting at least 6 hours of sleep a night and then slowly increase it to 8.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say sleep around six hours a day. Which is not ideal, but it's not that bad either. I know some people that sleep we left in that. For me, I see a complete difference when I am able to sleep 7 to 8 hours a day, but my days are pretty busy so I really can't sleep that much.

4. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I actually have a chronic fatigue disorder so I can sleep 12 hours and still feel tired. I think it is less to do with being a disorder and more to do with my eating/exercise habits. My grandma is 89 and sleeps 5 hours . That is all she needs. And its not like she is sitting on the couch all day rotting. This lady is active as heck.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I probably get about 8 or 9 on average. I feel like I sleep too much. I guess I do not have trouble getting to sleep like I used to but I still do sometimes. In the morning, sometimes I am tempted to go back to sleep because of the GERD. I think the sleep does no good too because I don't feel as refreshed continually through the day. I mean I'm not overly fatigued but have my sleepy moments. I need a way to tap into quality sleep because one day I got about 6 and felt fine.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I sleep an average of eight hours per day, sometimes seven, and I don't think I'll ever want that corrected or hindered because I'm usually very cranky or at least function less effectively she I lack sleep. I don't mind staying up late or missing a few hours every now and again, but in refuse to make a habit of it because I think it will only prove to be a regretful choice in the future.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suffer from chronic insomnia. I've been an insomniac since I was a kid. It has always been difficult for me to fall asleep and even when I do, I can never sleep for more than two hours. I can lie in bed for at least eight hours at night but I don't get much sleep.

Since my body is accustomed to that, lack of enough asleep has never caused me any health problems.

#7Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  8. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I sleep about 6-7 hours and I think it's enough. But it's also not that easy to go to sleep earlier for me, I don't know why, but I just don't fall asleep before 11pm.

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Didn't they say a while ago that that 8 hour figure was just for children growing up and that adults wouldn't actually benefit from sleeping that much?
    I sleep around 5-6 hours a day but I make up for it by taking naps during my 30 minute train ride to and from work, so those power naps really keep me going through the day.

10. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I sleep 6 to 8 hours, and I think that is just right for me. If I sleep less than 6 hours, I can really feel it. I'll be sluggish and tired all day.

11. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I don't get that much sleep. I get about four or five hours of sleep per night. On the rare occasions I get more sleep, I feel like I'm more tired the next day. I don't know why, but I was always able to get by on a little bit of sleep. I know it's not healthy because you are supposed to get more sleep. I would love to sleep more hours in the day, but I would find myself waking up in the middle of the night. I don't think my lack of sleep is affecting my health because I'm able to function throughout the day even though I don't get that much sleep.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed that I need at least 8 hours of sleep to be able to not feel sleepy throughout the day. If I get less than that, then I will notice that drowsiness attacks at random times during the day, and will bug me to sleep again for a couple of hours more. It seems like my body takes note of the times that I lacked sleep and tries to compensate for my lack of sleep on some days by sleeping as much as 12 hours per day. I'm not sure it affects my health though. I still think I'm a healthy person.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get from 6-7 hours of sleep which does seem to be good for me. About every 6 weeks my body will tell me I need more sleep and I will allow myself to sleep as long as I need to or go back to sleep if I wake up and Feel I need more sleep to be able to function all day.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't get a full 8 hours of sleep because of work, money, stress and the daily hustle. When rent is coming due, I probably get about 4 hours of sleep a night trying to flip stuff on eBay and go to my various part time jobs.

15. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I usually get about 7-8 hours of sleep every night and I know for sure that I need enough rest to fully function during the day for the most part. Over time if I don't get enough sleep I don't do well. Every once and a while I may get less sleep and I seem to function ok as long as it doesn't happen too much.

16. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    It is extremely important that I get enough sleep. If I don't, I get extremely cranky and my day is not as productive as it could be. I try to get at least 7 hours every night. Getting enough sleep also keeps you looking young and rested.

17. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I never get 6-7ours of sleep. I usually get around 4-5 hours because I stay busy with work. Even on days that I take a break, I still ain't able to get any rest because I have to run errands and clean. Sometimes I am able to take a nap during the day but that only last like 30 minutes.

18. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I only average about 6 hours or less because of home duties. My husband gets lesser as he stays up and goes to bed around 2 am. We both wake up around 6 in the morning to start the day. On weekends though, we tend to pay our 'sleep debt' by waking up around 9 or 10.

19. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I really do love sleep!, but unfortunately, I tend not quite to get in the requisite number of hours, mainly because I'm either too stressed out from a long day of work, or I just simply don't "feel" like sleeping!
    I've read several studies, and have been told time and time again by health professionals, about the importance of getting even six hours of quality sleep, but perhaps we'd have to discover when we actually get our quality sleep because each of us is wired differently.
    I personally subscribe to the fact that because we are wired differently, with a different physical makeup--each and every one of us--then we each have our own personal "best sleep hours", because I've found that no matter how much I sleep throughout a day, I still wake up tired! But when I compare that to when I've gotten a good seven-to-eight-hour dosage of sleep during the nighttime to early morning, then I wake up so refreshed and ready to take on the day!.
    Sleep is definitely important, and I think it's importance is often overlooked when we start to think of the importance of exercising, eating right, and the other essential components to "living well".
    We need to reinvest in this sleep fountain, because in it are found beauty and longevity!

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lately I've been having a hard time falling asleep, I got the nasty habit of falling asleep in front of the TV and when this doesn't happen it takes me a lot of time to do it. I think that when this happens I might be losing one or two hours of sleep per day, what can be really exhausting the next day. Is this happening with you as well? Anyone falling asleep in front of the TV?