Make Money From Web-based Games

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by GLOGIK • Jul 31, 2014.

1. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Considering the hype surrounding online games today, I'm thinking about the possibility of making money from these. The fact that Facebook constantly sends me alerts that one of my cousins is gaining higher scores in some Facebook game I can't really remember, is a pointer to the fact that a lot of folks are really interested in this stuff.

My question is: How do you think one can really make money from these web-based games. People are spending a lot of money advertising these games on platforms like Facebook, so, surely they must be making some good money.:confused:

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it's pretty obvious how they make money on these games. If the game is interesting enough for a wide user base, then you can earn revenue through advertisements within the game. You can also utilize in-game or in-app purchases for content, which will increase your revenue by a large amount. You can't just create a lackluster game and hope to profit in these manners, though. The best apps draw in money, and lackluster apps will do nothing but since there and collect dust.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think the best way to make money with these games is to just obsess over them as if you wouldn't get paid. Lots of people are playing these games and don't mind the amount that they are getting and I think those are the ones that tend to make the most out of it because they are able to play and concentrate on them solely as they are. No doubt that these are effective means of acquiring money, both for the makers and consumers, as evidenced by the fact that there are so many of them now, some surviving years of upgrades and numerous new competition. I think the best way to go about it is to just find one that you can really sink your teeth into regardless of the possible monetary gains.

4. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Hi DrRipley, thanks for your comment, I really appreciate the input. It's just that for some of us who actually develop technology for money, it's a little difficult to just begin to code-up an application without being sure of its potential to bring in money soon. This is especially true if you've just started a start-up like me. Once again, thanks for your contribution.

Enthusiast, thank you also for your contribution; but please, can you throw more light on the in-game/in-app purchase stuff you spoke about. I really don't understand how that works. I'll really appreciate if you can throw more light on that. Thanks.

5. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    Games like CandyCrush for example limit the times you can play. In CandyCrush you get 1 heart every 30 minutes and you can have a maximum of 5 hearts at all times, whenever you lose, you lose 1 heart. So after losing 5 hearts you either have to wait until you get another heart, before you can play again, or you buy hearts for real money. I'm not sure how much one heart costs, but it definitely isn't that small of an amount, because I know people who've spent hundreds of dollars on that game. There are also other kind of in-app purchases, but it mostly comes down to saving you waiting times. Clash of Clans for example lets you finish buildings instantly, instead of having to wait for hours, if you are willing to pay some money.

6. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Wow! Thanks for this enlightenment. I knew people would definitely be making money from these

web-based games, but I never knew they could be bringing in so much revenue.

One more thing though - don't mind my funny question, but let me just try my luck. I might be lucky

to gain more knowledge from you. In your opinion, what kind of web-based game do you think people

will enjoy the most? Please, any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

#6Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  7. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    They usually have to be simple and easy to get into. Games that need a tutorial before you can start out usually don't appeal to a lot of people. That's why sidescroller games like flappy bird are so popular. They're pretty straight forward and you don't have to read a manual to understand, that you have to jump over obstacles to keep running.

8. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Hi Navii, thank you very much for this insightful comment. I definitely concur with you on the point that web games need to be pretty straight forward in order for them to spark some interest in people. I for one, do believe that games should be designed with recreation in mind. A game that makes me chew my fingers just to figure out how it works will surely not get my attention.

Thanks a lot Navii, I really appreciate.

9. MeriCaska

MeriCaskaNew Member

Threads:
    Yup, you can earn money from online gaming . If the game is like candy crush then you can defiantly get the revenue sharing type income from it.

10. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I do agree with the purchases inside the game aside from the advertisements. Games like Clash of Clans earned a lot when it comes to in-app purchases. Lots of players do not tend to be cheap when it comes to being strong in the game they are playing. When MMORPG was the bomb back in the days when I still played RF online. A friend of mine spent around $5000 on buying rare items from other players just to be strong in the game. Imagine if that player bought items from the developers instead of buying from other players. The same reason why I never played MMORPGs anymore. I don't get to earn from games nowadays, unlike before when I can pay my tuition just by selling rare items from a game.