Has The Warranty You Get Ever Been The Deal-breaker For You?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Jul 31, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A warranty gives you peace of mind. Or at least it does for a limited period of time because should the gadget you bought prove to be faulty you can return it and get a different one. Now if you were to get a really good deal on a product on the net. Maybe the product is used but the seller assures you it works quite well, would you buy it even though no warranty is offered because you could always return it if you found out it was defective?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If there is a return policy with the seller in place I would purchase the item warranty or not. I would have to feel very confident that the seller would honor the return policy to complete the transaction.

3. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    That really depends on the product and the price. For example I've bought used camera lenses on eBay, that come without a warranty. Lenses tend to last a long time and don't damage that often. The savings I got for buying used was good and if I wanted to sell it again I could all I payed, vs buying a new lens that will immediately drop in value once you use it. However I wouldn't buy a used camera. The saving for buying a used camera isn't that much unless it's an old model, and camera bodies are more likely to fail than lenses so if I'm investing in something expensive like a camera I would want to have a warranty.

So in summary if I'm getting a very good discount for buying used, and what I'm buying is something that's not likely to fail or easy (cheap) to repair, then I wouldn't mind buying without a warranty. But if I'm buying something expensive, and buying it used will be a minor discount, and it's something that's risky and could fail or is expensive to fix if it fails then I prefer to buy it new with warranty.

Most warranties are designed so that you don't use them anyways, products are designed to fail after the warranty ends. But warranties protect your investment if you are buying something expensive. For example on 2010 I got a MacBook and 2 weeks after the mouse started to fail and they ended up replacing the entire logic board. Now I've had this computer for 4 years. Imagine if I've gotten a used one to save $200 dollars and then it failed, i would have lost about $1,000. That's not worth the risk for me.