Do you check before using?

Discussion in Coupons started by Strykstar • Jul 31, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you check whether a coupon is valid before you head to the cashier with your items?
    I find I sometimes get a bit insecure and don't want to be embarrassed by my coupons not working so as soon as I get to the store I ask for an employee to confirm that the coupons I have are valid,
    Anyone else do this or am I just paranoid?

2. askanison

askanisonMember

Threads:
    I have found one of the best things you can buy if you coupon on a regular basis is a coupon organizer. My wife found hers on Amazon very cheap and it has been a life saver when it comes to keeping organized and up to date with our coupons. We just make sure to check it before we head out to the store every week. This is the one we bought and it works well for our needs.

We bought it for less at the time though[7.99]. Or you could just make your own

Hope this helps.

3. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    I'll check the expiry date on the coupon, but otherwise I just bull on ahead to be honest. Not that I really use coupons all that often to be fair, but any time I've had a problem, the shops have agreed that it's the fault of the store and not me and my coupons, and as such have just gave me the discount that I should have been getting.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't bother an employee by asking them to look at my coupons when I enter the store. It's my job to make sure I bring the right coupons. I've been using coupons since 2001 and I just read the fine print on them. As long as you are buying the correct product in the correct size and the coupon isn't expired or a store coupon for another store, then it's valid.
    Having an employee check my coupons for me would mean that I didn't do my research beforehand. I don't even leave the house without checking my coupons first.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I am planning on using a coupon I check the dates before I leave the house. I have never had a problem a coupon in a store. I do need to start using an organizer to keep the coupon where I can find it so that I do not let it expire. I just let a free sandwich expire by 3 days.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use a few coupons at a time, but I know when my coupons are valid or not. All you have to do is read the fine print, as others have said. If you've got the right product and size, then you should be good. Sometimes a coupon that's valid won't work, and most stores let their employees hand-key the coupon discount if that's the case. Either way, using coupons is a relatively painless and hassle-free endeavor. You can save money thanks to some words printed on paper. I'm not complaining or worrying about the validity of my coupons. :]

7. cedrickismw

cedrickismwMember

Threads:
    Since I work in retail I see this happen a lot so personally I try to avoid giving people old coupons even if its an accident. Not because I can't make a mistake I just know in order for the whole idea to work they gotta be in working order and I have to buy the right stuff. I did grow some horns once and think about trying to use an expired coupon to get free fries, but I didn't do it.

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I check myself but don't ask a store employee to check. I go through my coupons every two weeks and recycle the expired ones so that very easily helps with any concern over using an expired coupon. For the coupons I do bring with me on my shopping trips I make sure to read all the fine print, even if it is tedious, and I will double check to make sure the size and product are correct for the brand before I use it.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    You ask as soon as you get to the store? I can't think of any time where I would ever need to do this.

I DO check for expiration dates and I DO read some of the fine print that indicates if a coupon has to be used on a specific size or variety of a product. Then I just make sure I always get the item that matches the coupon.

10. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I am surprised someone from the store will even look over the coupons. All of the major grocery stores around me that accept coupons are always very busy and don't always have the friendliest people working. That's cool that your store is so customer service oriented.

11. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I normally get coupons online from legit websites or from my newspaper so I'm not really worried about the coupon not working. I also normally don't find it embarrasing if it doesn't work because it's not my fault. I would find it more embarrasing if my debit card or credit card were declined then if my coupon wasn't valid.

12. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think the best practice is to be prepared to pay full-price, then it's no let-down if the coupon doesn't work! (And how do you mean "valid"? Because if you mean 'not yet expired,' you SHOULD be embarrassed if you try to use an expired coupon!)

13. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I was thinking about this earlier today when I went to use coupons at Wal-Mart. It occurred to me something you could do to save embarrassment is to use a self-check out instead of going to a cashier. Many grocery stores and other stores have these available now. That way if your coupon doesn't work for some reason, it won't be that big of a deal and at least you know that you tried to use the coupon.

14. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I check them.. Well, a lot of the time, actually. I think a lot of people do, because when working in retail, all of the coupons usually went through, I think there were only a few times when they were outdated or something of that nature.

15. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    I only ever check the expiration date in coupons, since I haven't actually used any coupons with fine print and all; from the times I've read them, it sounds almost like they don't count for any item in the store and I don't feel like dealing with them, haha.

Since a lot of clothing stores give coupons without much specifications, I never have a problem with them and just check for expiration dates.

16. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I mean other than checking to be sure the coupon is valid before I go into to use, I don't give it much of a second thought. And if any problems arise, I'll just be sure I get it handled with a store manager, or if it turns out the coupon isn't valid, then I won't really fight it. Wouldn't really think many people have a problem with this sort of thing as you just need to be sure the coupon is valid before going to use it.

17. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    This happens to me all the time. I'm a very self-conscious person so not only do I double check, I triple check the coupons before I leave the house. Although I know there's nothing wrong with presenting an expired coupon but I still feel embarrassed nonetheless. If it does happen, usually I'll just apologize and say that I didn't realize the coupon was invalid.

18. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea, I've never tried to use a coupon on the self-checkout aisle, I suppose you just scan the coupon after scanning the item?
    That really is a great way to save the embarrassment of having coupon that don't go through.

19. Priya_ada

Priya_adaNew Member

Threads:
    I am very foodie and frequently organize party with friends at home. So I usually buy pizzas, donuts with huge discount offer specially during festivals. I use coupon rani and other top coupon deal sites for more offer and I check coupon validity i.e expiry date and store name I also contact to support team of their store to check availability of current offer to apply. which hardly takes 10 min.

20. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Ignorance is bliss. I don't usually check and neither does the cashier. I did have a situation happen recently where I took a Starbucks coffee bag back and I didn't realize they are supposed to go by the 'sell by date' as the expiration date for the coupon (one bag is worth a cup of coffee), however, my friend who told me about it said they often will take it anyways. I just took the bag in and got my coffee and they never checked or said anything. I guess it would have been embarrassing but then I think I just would have bought the 1.65 coffee I usually get anyways and so no harm no foul.