Monoprice DJ Headphones - the best cheap alternative.

Discussion in Product Reviews started by mariee • Jul 31, 2014.

1. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Hi. So this is going to be a small review of my favorite headphones. They are the Premium Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone (model 8323) (

).

How we discovered this headphones was that my partner was looking for a cheap yet good quality headphones. He's studying sound engineering but didn't have the budget for well known pro audio brands at the moment.

We got 3 pairs of this. One for my partner, one for me and one for my brother. My partner uses them when he's working on audio in the computer, I use them for entertainment and also video editing, and my brother uses them for entertainment only.

Some things we like about these headphones are the quality of construction, audio quality and overall value.

The construction is rugged. One feature my partner and brother likes is that you can change the cable. My brother used to have issues with cheap headphones cables breaking, but these ones come with 2 cables, a short one and a long one. The shorter cable is thin but the long one is thicker and overall sturdier. My brother uses the short one with his laptop and it hasn't broken in over a year. My partner likes the long cable for when he's working at the desk or on those rare occasions he dj's at a party. The advantage of having a detachable cable is that if it breaks you just replace it, no need to trow away the headphones or make repairs.

The overall design is basic, made of black plastic. This are not the kind of headphones you buy to show off, these are practical. The ear cups swivel and are padded. These are the most comfortable headphones I've had. The over the ear design also provides some noise isolation, but these are not considered noise cancelling. Personally I find them to be able to cancel the noise from the busy street in front of my apartment, and depending on the volume it can make it so you don't hear people speaking to you at all.

For the audio quality I can say it's very good. It's the best I've had on any cheap headphone. The sound doesn't sound empty like others I've had. The balance between the tones is good, for example it has not too much bass but not too little. I'm not very knowledgeable of audio, but my partner likes them and he's an audiophile. He says that these headphones compares to other more expensive ones in terms of quality.

The price of these was about $22 dollars, they offered a slight discount for buying more than one. I bought them directly from Monoprice but they can be found on Amazon too. I decided to go with Monoprice because they offer USPS shipping which I prefer. The transaction went smoothly, no issues at all, and the headphones arrived quickly. If you prefer getting them on Amazon I believe they are a little bit more expensive, about $30 dollars. Still for the quality of these the price is well worth it.

On summary, if you want cheap headphones with good audio and build quality, and you don't mind how they look, these headphones would be perfect for you.

2. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    These headphones look great. I prefer over-the-ear headphones to the ear buds that seem to be everywhere today, but I have never been able to wear them comfortably. They look better constructed than many of the inexpensive ones you'll find at places like Big Lots. I think I just might buy myself a set. Thanks for the review.

3. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    Great review. I have been looking for a cheaper set of headphones and I stumbled upon these a while back and purchased them. The sound quality is definitely good, but audiophiles who are used to more expensive models will notice that the bass is not as rich as one would desire and highs tend to sound tinny, but it's not as noticeable as other headphones for this price range. The construction is, in fact, rugged, but it suffers a bit in the style area. Solid 6.5/10 overall, 10/10 for value.

4. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for adding that info. I might add that my partner is a broke audiophile, so while he knows that there are better things out there and he lusts over other brands he still likes these as an inexpensive option.

5. thymeless

thymelessNew Member

Threads:
    My brother has got one pair of them, though he does complain often about its horrendous build quality. Its cheapness might be a plus for some, but for me and my brother it is definitely a con...

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the review. I'll probably have to check these headphones out, although I do prefer in-ear options compared to over-the-ear ones. For the price, they sound like a valuable buy, and I can deal with a cheap look and feel, as long as the headphones are at least somewhat durable. Good sound quality at a low price is hard to come by, and I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means.

7. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Whether cheapness is a pro or con depends if you actually have money to buy something more expensive. But for people struggling to get by it's hard to justify spending hundreds on headphones when there's decent alternatives out there.