What HTML Editor Do You Use?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by GLOGIK • Aug 1, 2014.

1. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Hello there, if you're a web developer like me, you surely use some kind of HTML editor for your web development job. I currently use Microsoft's Visual Studio 2013. I also play around with dreamweaver sometimes, even though I do my serious web development jobs with visual studio.

What HTML editor do use? What makes you prefer it to others? Please share your views, possibly making a list of the editors you've used, and even the ones you've not used, but recommend.

2. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I've used Notepad++ before, but I switched over to Sublime Text 2, because I think it looks cleaner. It's also really customizable, with lots of themes and it supports HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP almost perfectly, whenever I don't know a command exactly, there's a dropdown menu, where I can find what I need really quick.

3. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Hi Navii, nice one. I had never heard about Sublime Text 2 before now; it really sounds good, and I think it's worth checking out. I'll try to play around with it a bit, even though I don't develop web apps professionally with PHP: I use ASP.NET C#.

Concerning the drop-down menu that shows-up to offer coding assistance, it's a really cool feature I love a lot, and is available in my editor of choice - Visual Web Developer (although, this is more of an IDE than just an editor). That feature is called "Intellisense" in Visual Web Developer.

Anyways, thank you very much for stopping by, and thanks for sharing.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, Sublime Text 2 looks awesome! I'm currently learning HTML on codecademy.com so this text editor will come in handy pretty soon. And what's even better is that (quote from the developer website): "There is currently no enforced time limit for the evaluation." So it's basically free?

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I use one I created myself using VB6 back in 2005. For HTML work it does the trick. I rarely need to use it anyway.

6. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    I usually hard-code my projects but still use Dreamweaver mostly. It's got nice features and I like the IDE,. I like it's reminders about things and how it reminds me to save pages. I would like to learn more about it's WYSIWYG functionality. As a matter of fact, I downloaded a dreamweaver tutorial book to my phone to read later.

7. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Navii, Sublime Text 3, the newest version is excellent, and can be free if you want it to be. I also like what TextMate has to offer - it is what Sublime Text was likely modeled after and has some functionality that Sublime Text doesn't yet have. I'd much rather use either of these tools than Dreamweaver or a full fledged IDE like Visual Studio.

FYI, if you are looking for a free IDE, check out Net Beans.

8. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Hi prettycolors, thanks for stopping by and sharing. I have never heard of the Sublime Text 2 you speak about. I'm surely going to check it out when I have the time. But, in the interim, I'd like to know: Is that tool (I mean the Sublime Text 2) a simple text editor, or an IDE? Please reply.

Thanks again for sharing; I really appreciate.

9. donding

dondingNew Member

Threads:
    I like to write out my HTML code by hand, so the best tool for me is Notepad++. It has quite a few important features including code highlighting, and it's much faster than anything that Microsoft has to offer. It seems like MS caters to the big guys, so they pack their software with so much unnecessary features that the program runs too slowly. But Notepad++ isn't just limited to writing code, it also makes an excellent wordpad and notepad replacement. Basically, if you don't have Notepad++ on your computer, you are missing out.

10. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    I use Notepad ++ and Dreamweaver. Both of them work like magic but I always use Notepad++ since it's free and has a lot of features that most paid software's like Dreamweaver has. I only use Dreamweaver when I'm in the office but at home when I'm doing freelance work I tend to stick with Notepad++

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If I am doing web development, I mainly work within Dreamweaver since it has so many convenient features for navigating and editing code. When you start dealing with more complex layouts with lots of nested elements, Dreamweaver becomes a godsend for me, since it makes it so much easier for me to drill down and identify really specific nested blocks of code. It also has some great tools for previewing your site in different browsers and on different devices. I don't use the site management features of it as I once used to, since I rely on Wordpress and plugins for that stuff these days, but Dreamweaver is still my go-to HTML editor.

A couple of other promising programs are Brackets (

) which is free and open souce, and Adobe's fork of Brackets called Adobe Edge Code which is free if you have a subscription plan with them. It's a much leaner more stripped down HTML editor without all the site management tools of Dreamweaver. The other nice thing is it loads up quickly when you need to make some fast changes.

12. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    It's Dreamweaver for me all the time. But I love using Notepad+ also for my easy tasks and some quick troubleshooting. It's a great piece of software and the best part is that it's free.

13. danasaurus

danasaurusNew Member

Threads:
    I use Coda for Mac and I absolutely love it. It's clean, customizable, and unobtrusive.

I also get a lot of use out of Diet Coda for the iPad. It makes long flights more tolerable because I can pick up where I left off on my main machine and code right there on the plane.

I've also had good experiences with Dreamweaver in the past. It all comes down to personal preference.

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I use Notepad++ it's really great for a free app. I also use Coda when I'm on my Mac but it's pretty much Notepad++ every time.

15. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Sublime text is always the best for this kind of thing, it makes everything so easy to do. If I want to created a list in this style: ["Mon","Tues","Wed"], it makes things simple by allowing you to separate each value into a line, then put it back together when you're done. Also what I love is the multi edit thing, if I'm typing the same command in the same relative place 5 times over I can do it once instead of 5 times. It generally just makes everything easy, and there are tons of plugins for just about anything you can think of.